EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 28 Oct 2005, 07:44 AM   #16
zapata
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by carverrn

It would be nice to have a configurable delete frequency (e.g. "never", "1 week", "30 days", "60 days"). You could suggest it as an enhancement to the "30 day" delete.
This is the only acceptable implementation. Or

Delete message from my trash folder after 30 days.
[ ] Enabled [ ] Disabled

But hanslysglimt's post doesn't sound like a feature announcement...
zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2005, 10:44 AM   #17
koon173

Quote:
Originally posted by zapata
I think fastmail doesn't.
And other e-mail providers which I used in the past gave me the option to automatically empty the trash folder after a period of time.
So why is Runbox enforcing this?
With 10GB of storage (1% used) why do they have to empty my trash folder. It's none of their business. If I run out of space, just bounce incoming messages!
And no, I don't give them permission to do so!
Totally agree.

I'll add that Inbox and Gmail (wich are both free !!) give the possibility to keep mail in the trash folder forever
koon173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2005, 11:57 AM   #18
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by koon173
Totally agree.

I'll add that Inbox and Gmail (wich are both free !!) give the possibility to keep mail in the trash folder forever
I think you're mistaken on Gmail. From the Gmail Help Center article "How do I move messages out of Trash?" it says this:

All conversations and messages in Trash are accessible for 30 days, in case you change your mind. After 30 days, Gmail automatically deletes your trashed messages, and you won't be able to retrieve them.

And as far as I can tell there is no way to change this.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2005, 06:52 PM   #19
zapata
Essential Contributor

Yeah, but Gmail is free and Runbox is a pay service (from January 1st, 2006: ~ 50 U$).
So If the user cannot turn this feature off, it's totally unacceptable!

Terms of Service:

11. MODIFICATIONS
runbox may at any time augment or enhance the current service with new features, with or without prior notification.

So maybe the only thing you can do is to ask for a refund and cancel your subscription!

---
Well in mutt-ng I can do:
set trash="+INBOX.Søppel"
---

Last edited by zapata : 30 Oct 2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 30 Oct 2005, 10:02 PM   #20
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
First someone says "Runbox should do it because even a FREE service like Gmail does it". Then when I point out that Gmail doesn't have it, someone says "Yeah but they're a FREE service".

People like comparing Runbox to Yahoo and Gmail when it makes their point but not when Runbox does the same as them.

Listen folks. It's the "Trash". There's a reason the word "Trash" was chosen. It's a metaphor for it's intended use ... To put stuff you don't want anymore. Like your "Trash" at home. You throw things you don't want anymore into the "Trash". Once a week the city collects my household "Trash" and once that happens it's gone.

If you don't want it gone after 30 days don't "Delete" it.

Yes, configurable would be nice and it's probably on "The List" of things to add.

If it's something that you can't live with then you should find a service that provides the features you require.

Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2005, 11:09 PM   #21
zapata
Essential Contributor

Gmail is free ... so if the service is unreliable or there are any annoying "enhancements" just drop it. Well I don't use it for important correspondence.

But Runbox is a pay service! Some users have subscribed/paid for a few years in advance! So limiting changes during a subscription are not acceptable!

So if you implement this, I want the possibility to turn this feature off!
It doesn't matter if I need it or not.

Why should I expunge my trash folder, when I still have plenty of space. At the moment I use only 1% of 10GB. (about 10000 messages)

And Trash is an ordinary folder. So your explanation is a bit ridiculous.
Does your MUA delete mails from the Trash folder automatically?
I don't like the idea that Runbox is running a script deleting e-mails from my Mailbox!!!

Rich, maybe a Runbox employee can answer this!?
And tell us if we can turn this feature off. Maybe then we can end this thread. Thanks.

mvh

Last edited by zapata : 30 Oct 2005 at 11:19 PM.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 08:55 AM   #22
BLuRReD
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Gmail is free ... so if the service is unreliable or there are any annoying "enhancements" just drop it. Well I don't use it for important correspondence.

But Runbox is a pay service! Some users have subscribed/paid for a few years in advance! So limiting changes during a subscription are not acceptable!

So if you implement this, I want the possibility to turn this feature off!
It doesn't matter if I need it or not.

Why should I expunge my trash folder, when I still have plenty of space. At the moment I use only 1% of 10GB. (about 10000 messages)

And Trash is an ordinary folder. So your explanation is a bit ridiculous.
Does your MUA delete mails from the Trash folder automatically?
I don't like the idea that Runbox is running a script deleting e-mails from my Mailbox!!!

Rich, maybe a Runbox employee can answer this!?
And tell us if we can turn this feature off. Maybe then we can end this thread. Thanks.

mvh
zapata , i dont know why u are making a big deal from this issue , Rich is right , its just trash , the emails that u dont want .
if u dont want ur trash emails to be deleted , why dont u creat a custom folder for emails that ur not sure to be deleted or something , and when ur totally sure that u want them to be deleted , just move them to the trash and u will still have 30 days to change ur mind .
BLuRReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2005, 11:26 AM   #23
suzi

This is ridiculous. Not the feature but all the complaining.

It's Trash. It's for what you WANT to get rid of. If you want to keep it don't put it in Trash. Make a folder and put them all in there. I have a folder for spam which I don't want to get rid of. I have a folder for emails that may not seem important but might be.

Personally I can't see what the big deal is. I think it's pretty surprising that all email services don't automatically purge from Trash. You don't want it otherwise it wouldn't be in there. And if you want to check if you want it or not you can't do it within a month?

Feature doesn't matter to me either way. I can't log out without emptying Trash (they put a "Empty Trash" there for a reason).
suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2005, 04:37 PM   #24
drkotsius

Post Runbox apologists...

Just to steer things up a little:

It seems to me that no matter what happens, one finds readily available Runbox apologists in this forum. Even for this most unprecedented, arbitrary and unilateral of decisions. A decision that constitutes the very opposite of customer empowerment...
drkotsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2005, 10:25 PM   #25
hajonez
Cornerstone of the Community

Hi Drkotsius,

Your comments regarding the proposed implementation of a script to regularly empty the Trash folder of Runbox email accounts are well made. However, I think you are perhaps incorrect in your assumption that this is an "unprecedented" and "arbitrary" decision. Runbox is managed superbly and such decisions would not be made without much consideration.

I am not privvy to the internal affairs of the company but I assume that this change has been made because a reasonable number of users have taken full advantage of the 10GB storage upgrade that was implemented recently. This, I imagine, is quickly filling up Runbox's server space and the Runbox team have consequently been forced to make a decision regarding how exactly they intend to deal with this circumstance. They could respond by purchasing additional storage servers; indeed, this would be the ideal way of dealing with the situation. However, this is obviously too costly at this stage of their development and so they have consequently searched for another solution. Though many may not like their decision to automatically purge older messages in the Trash folder, the reality is that they are governed by financial constraints; this is true of all businesses. Far from being "arbitrary", this decision has been made to ensure that Runbox continues to function as a profitable business.

I admit that I have been very speculative in my explanation. What I determine to show is that the decision to make this alteration was probably very well-considered and ultimately deemed necessary.

It is also salient to note that Runbox are operating entirely within their Terms of Service. I believe that greater notification of this alteration ought to be provided before it is implemented but there is certainly no requirement on the part of Runbox.

- Henry
hajonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2005, 10:57 PM   #26
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Yes, we will email everyone beforehand (which IS unprecedented for us, admittedly). And please note that nothing has been done yet.

Right now it seems neccessary to do this as a one-off at least, while I personally am ambivalent about making it a regular "feature". I empty my trash several times a day, while I know others who keep thousands of mails in there before they reluctantly delete them. Logically, I'd assume that Trash should not be used as an archive, but if Trash is your spam folder, and you get high volumes of mail and/or spam, then maybe some won't have time to look for false positives within a month, always.

I still think we should add a system spam folder before this is implemented on a monthly basis, at any rate.

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2005, 02:28 AM   #27
zapata
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by suzi
This is ridiculous. Not the feature but all the complaining.

It's Trash. It's for what you WANT to get rid of. If you want to keep it don't put it in Trash. Make a folder and put them all in there. I have a folder for spam which I don't want to get rid of. I have a folder for emails that may not seem important but might be.

Personally I can't see what the big deal is. I think it's pretty surprising that all email services don't automatically purge from Trash. You don't want it otherwise it wouldn't be in there. And if you want to check if you want it or not you can't do it within a month?

Feature doesn't matter to me either way. I can't log out without emptying Trash (they put a "Empty Trash" there for a reason). [/b]
1. If this is ridiculous, don't follow this thread...

2. Trash is an ordinary folder, not public and it is counted to my quota.
It's quicker to press delete than selecting a folder and click on move to message. And it will also fill up the storage.

3. My previous e-mail providers were not doing this. I was paying for 2-5GB storage.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 02:38 AM   #28
zapata
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by hajonez

Though many may not like their decision to automatically purge older messages in the Trash folder, the reality is that they are governed by financial constraints; this is true of all businesses. Far from being "arbitrary", this decision has been made to ensure that Runbox continues to function as a profitable business.

If this was the reason for this decision, than don't offer something that you cannot provide.
It's like you are paying for a flat-rate and your provider is complaining that you are downloading too much. If they do, I would ditch them.

Quote:
Originally posted by hajonez

I admit that I have been very speculative in my explanation. What I determine to show is that the decision to make this alteration was probably very well-considered and ultimately deemed necessary.

I miss this information in hanslysglimt's announcement.
If it's because of migrating to the new imap server I have no problem.

Mvh
Old 1 Nov 2005, 03:23 AM   #29
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
I miss this information in hanslysglimt's announcement.
If it's because of migrating to the new imap server I have no problem.
I can't say that it is, no. It is because the slowness is in part due to pretty full disks, and getting the new disks and servers set up isn't going quite as fast as we'd like.

Keep in mind that no service actually has 1/2/10 GB set aside for each user though; they buy more space as needed, on a running basis.

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Nov 2005, 06:24 AM   #30
zapata
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

Keep in mind that no service actually has 1/2/10 GB set aside for each user though; they buy more space as needed, on a running basis.
This might be right. But Runbox running out of storage is actually non of my business. I am the customer who pays for the service, right?

At the moment I use 1% of the storage, which means about 0,1GB.
So keep your hands of my mailbox (inbox, sub-folders, trash/spam folder)!!!

Tusen takk.

mvh
Herbert