EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

View Poll Results: Which unrestricted TLD u like most among these?
.com 18 46.15%
.info 3 7.69%
.net 13 33.33%
.org 5 12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Mar 2004, 07:01 PM   #46
Werpon

In my humble opinion, data gathered in this thread will not reflect the reality. An example: many people in this forum, if not all, will know that .ch is the Swiss ccTLD; but try asking to your neighbor.

What I mean is that almost everybody here knows more about the Internet than the average person; thus having almost 20% of the votes so far to .org, when many many people don't even know it exists, let alone .biz or .info.

Many people will stare at you with their eyes wide open when you tell them Hotmail isn't the only email provider; envision yourself trying to explain them that your email address is name@domain.BIZ.

So, unless all your friends and relatives are tech-savvy people, plan on getting a .com...

(PS: how many times have you written .com instead of any other TLD when trying to go to a non .com site or emailing to a non .com address? I myself have done it... well... two or three times *ahem* )
Werpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2004, 07:24 PM   #47
kander
The "e" in e-mail

I do it when I can't remember the proper URL. My first bet is .com, then .net, .org then I give up and google for it.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2004, 08:54 PM   #48
Daniel S

Quote:
Originally posted by Werpon
In my humble opinion, data gathered in this thread will not reflect the reality. An example: many people in this forum, if not all, will know that .ch is the Swiss ccTLD; but try asking to your neighbor.

What I mean is that almost everybody here knows more about the Internet than the average person;
Well, I wouldn't remember that .ch is Swiss without a few ISO and Snailmail links
I try to imagine that...going to my neighbor and ask them "Is .ch the Swiss ccTLD?"

(edited)
Old 22 Mar 2004, 09:39 PM   #49
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Especially if you do a "Monty Python" like countdown from the Job Interview skit after it. "Fiiive-fooour-three, two-one! Sorry-time's-up".

--K
Old 27 Mar 2004, 03:59 AM   #50
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Killer
Do we need to have a company in order to own a .com domain?
No... but I think you do for .org, since its short for .organisation
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2004, 04:29 AM   #51
yuvaraj
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by MAILfreak
No... but I think you do for .org, since its short for .organisation
Though .org is intended for non-profit organizations logically, as per ICANN laws, .org is open and unrestricted for anyone in the world to register their domains.
yuvaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2004, 03:13 PM   #52
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by LrdVader
Yeah, but almost nobody uses it. I live in the US, and I still almost never see .us in use.
That's kind of a shame too. It's probably the reason .us domains are so cheap. I've seen .us registrations going for $4.95 a year. I'm doing a web site for a coworker who's runing for State Representative and I told him if he was short on cash a .us domain would be cheap and sound patriotic. In the end he opted for .com

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2004, 04:40 PM   #53
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Woohoo! A Fellow .info'er!

Reveal yourself, please, oh person who voted .info alongside with me! It's nothing to be ashamed of!

--K
Old 28 Mar 2004, 09:52 AM   #54
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Re: Woohoo! A Fellow .info'er!

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
Reveal yourself, please, oh person who voted .info alongside with me! It's nothing to be ashamed of!

--K
That was me
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2004, 10:13 AM   #55
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Hehe, thanks. And another mystery solved.

--K
Old 28 Mar 2004, 11:16 AM   #56
LrdVader
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Woohoo! A Fellow .info'er!

Quote:
If .info is so great, how come you don't have an alias on reallyfast.info?
LrdVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2004, 11:39 AM   #57
kander
The "e" in e-mail

The TLD is one thing I do like, but I'm not too fond of domains with words like 'really','super','very','extra', etc. in them... they sound a bit lame, like what you have to offer isn't good enough so you need to add a catchword to it to strengthen it.

--K
Old 28 Mar 2004, 02:18 PM   #58
LrdVader
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
The TLD is one thing I do like, but I'm not too fond of domains with words like 'really','super','very','extra', etc. in them... they sound a bit lame, like what you have to offer isn't good enough so you need to add a catchword to it to strengthen it.
Yeah, I figured as much, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to bug you. I have to admit it really isn't the greatest domain.

It still beats veryfast.biz, though. That one sounds like a spamhaus, especially with the .biz TLD.
LrdVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2004, 02:53 PM   #59
yuvaraj
Essential Contributor

well, i was another one who likes .info more than .com but i voted for .org for the simple reason that most of the websites that end in .org TLDs do something good for charitable organizations. but, if i want to select a domain for my use, i would go for .info
yuvaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2004, 08:34 AM   #60
PhiloVance
Essential Contributor

Well I voted for .net.

Too many .org's are political and totally biased in nature for me to want to belong. In addition, a .net makes you sound like a network admin, which I'm not. I have had and still do have a .net as an ISP:[list=1][*]lightspeed.net (absorbed in earthlink, eventually)[*]earthlink.net (bad, bad, isp)[*]etcrier.net (my former dialup)[*]cox.net (my current broadband ISP)[/list=1]

Oh, yeah, I still belong to lafn.org; check it out you dialuppers, it's not just for California anymore.
PhiloVance is offline   Reply With Quote