EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

View Poll Results: I will buy a...
Xbox360 1 7.14%
Nintendo Wii 5 35.71%
Playstation 3 2 14.29%
More then one console 1 7.14%
I won't buy a games console 5 35.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 May 2006, 08:47 PM   #1
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Xbox 360/Nintendo Wii/Playstation 3

As the 'next generation' of video game consoles quickly becomes a reality, which console do you believe will win? The Microsoft Xbox360, Nintendo Wii or the Sony Playstation 3?

I think that each machine has its benefits, and also its disadvantages. Here is a quick summary..

Advantages:
Xbox360 - currently released, already has games released and many in development. Widely believed to be the second most powerful of the new consoles.

Nintendo Wii - Revolutionary control system, using motion sensors rather then a control pad. First class first party games line up, and gaining third party support. Least expensive of the new consoles, plus a full downloadable catalouge of classic games from the - Nes, Snes, N64, Gamecube, Sega MasterSystem/MegaDrive(genesis) and a company called turbographix.

Sony PS3 - The most powerful next gen console. A good line up of first party games. Blu-ray dvd support, sony back catalouge of some games for PS1 and PS2. Current games market dominance may keep it in the lead.

Disadvantages;
Xbox360 - Supporting the HD-DVD format, opposed to Blu Ray. Less poweful then the PS3. Lack of titles currently available.

Nintendo Wii - No HD or Blu Ray support, no HD support for new tv's. Currently last in the US/Eu/Aus marketplace with GameCube, but worldwide 2nd overall. Untested control system.

Sony PS3 - Cost - up to Au$1000, lack of HD Dvd support - only had Blu Ray. Late release.

So which console do you think will win the next gen 'console wars'.? I think that Sony and MS are jumping the gun with next gen DVD formats - Is it to be a repeat of the VHS vs BetaMax once again? Will Nintendo's slightly lower processing power/graphics cost it customers - or will the new control system and strong back catalouge of games win it a competative place in the marketplace?
Which console will you buy?
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 May 2006, 09:10 PM   #2
The Storm
Essential Contributor

I vote for Wii
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jun 2006, 11:38 PM   #3
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
I vote Nintendo - because both MS and Sony have screwed it's customers over previously - plus, I'm nto sure which one, but one of the companies is going to be pushing out half-made games, where you have to buy the end of the game, extra levels, or extra characters/vehicles/weapons. Totally uncool.

Also, there hasn't been a Nintendo game system I've seen someone disatisfied with buying - you buy the system knowing exactly what you're getting.

However, I do think that Nintendo should start making some new games. They've been sticking to their classics, but it's overdoing it - changing the graphics doesn't change the fact that it's the same game you've played before
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Jun 2006, 05:58 AM   #4
theog
= Permanently banned =

I don't play... I have an addiction problem with video games... can't stop, so I don't play at all... (well, I do play chess and sometimes tetris....)
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2006, 01:23 PM   #5
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by theog
I don't play... I have an addiction problem with video games... can't stop, so I don't play at all... (well, I do play chess and sometimes tetris....)

That's what happened to my mom. She used to play this game called "Burger Time" or something. She said she'd never stop playing it.

And I wondered: What happend to games like Burger Time? You can now calculate just about how long it will take you to totally beat a game and be done with it, never playing it again. Or you can choose the MMORPGs, which totally consume your life.

It's like the washer we have. You have two options: Small, or Extra Large...No medium, no large, you either have two shirts or two comforters and a pillow.
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote