EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Jan 2022, 10:15 PM   #1
jlammrs

Angry Where did the email address popups go?

In list view the real email adress used to pop up when hovering over the sender name. This was especially convenient when checking spam mail. I could instantly check if the sender address had any relation with the showed name.
It seems this functionality is gone...
Now I have to open each mail and press <show details> to get this info.
For me this is a real loss of functionality.
jlammrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Jan 2022, 10:40 AM   #2
Mail Snail

Yes, I agree this a big step backward. Fastmail is pretty good at screening spam, but being able to mouse over a sender's name to see the "real" sender BEFORE opening a message is an important security feature. I looked all over the Settings pages to see if that feature can be turned on somehow, but did not find a way to do that. Hopefully, this a bug and not intentional.
Mail Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2022, 12:21 PM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Fwiiw, I took a quick look, and it certainly seems the removal of the pop-up is an unintended bug. The HTML for the Name is a simple
Quote:
<span title='xxx@xxx.xxx'>text</span>
I have not researched the reason why the title attribute is not causing the pop-up to appear as would normally be expected.

EDIT: This explains a similar bug: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...hild-of-anchor
Based on this, my guess is that the tooltip is not allowed to appear outside of the boundary of the <div> enclosing this line on the list. That is, the tooltip tries to appear, but is suppressed because it would obscure data outside its own boundary.

Last edited by BritTim : 25 Jan 2022 at 12:31 PM.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2022, 07:11 PM   #4
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

Agree that this is a problem. Has anyone reported it to support? I'll probly do it anyway, because it's good for them to get enough feedback when they screw something up like this
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2022, 09:37 PM   #5
jlammrs

The bug is fixed.
jlammrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2022, 08:10 AM   #6
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

Darn, I wanted to be the first to report it Yes, they've restored the old mouse-over behavior in the mailbox view. Not sure whether many people complained about it, or if it was just the way I sternly lectured them about breaking something that absolutely didn't need to be broken

To be fair it wasn't a "bug"... what they told me is that the mouse-over tooltips had been traded off for "screen reader support". I took this to mean that they improved accessibility for visually-impaired users, which is a very fine thing to provide, and I'm glad they're working on that stuff. Just that it was inconceivable to me that those two things could not co-exist. And sure enough I was right
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote