EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 28 Sep 2018, 04:40 AM   #1
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

How to delete enail

I have a obsolete Yahoo email acct. How can I delete it? Thanks for any help
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Sep 2018, 09:16 PM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN2044.html

BTW, what's wrong with leaving it dormant? If it's a free account, it will probably be closed after a period of inactivity.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2018, 10:41 PM   #3
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Janusz You make a good point
Old 3 Oct 2018, 06:05 AM   #4
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I suggest updating your password since it has been reported that over the past few years all Yahoo user accounts have been hacked. Within the past few days, I received emails from a scammer which displayed my old Yahoo! password as "proof" that he/she hacked my email.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2018, 12:29 PM   #5
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks William9 for your response. I have an acct and was getting a lot of spam, maybe 25 or more daily. I thought if I changed my pass word that would help. It failed to make any difference. Then i thought that spammers only used my email address. Most spammers include a micro link at bottom to click to be removed from their mailing list. So, I started clicking to be removed from their mailing list. Been doing this about a month and it has reduced my spam by approximately seventy persent. I plan to continue in hopes it will further reduce my spam
Old 3 Oct 2018, 05:54 PM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
T I have an acct and was getting a lot of spam, maybe 25 or more daily. I thought if I changed my pass word that would help. It failed to make any difference.
Quite predictable. As you undoubtedly are aware, to send an email message (spam or otherwise) the sender needs to know only the recipient's address, not the password.

An olde-worlde analogy: to post a paper letter, one doesn't need a key to the recipient's front door
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2018, 07:52 PM   #7
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
So, I started clicking to be removed from their mailing list. Been doing this about a month and it has reduced my spam by approximately seventy persent. I plan to continue in hopes it will further reduce my spam
Beware. Always check the link carefully. Are it largely advertising emails or mass mailings from respected companies then this is save to do.

Last edited by Berenburger : 3 Oct 2018 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Text added.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2018, 06:04 AM   #8
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

A lot of times an 'unsubscribe' link is only used to verify that the email address is valid and it makes it more valuable to the spammer. One shouldn't click that type of link unless it's an email from a newsletter or something that one has opted in for.

Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2018, 10:32 AM   #9
TenFour
Master of the @

If the email is legit the unsubscribe route should work, and legit companies will really appreciate you not reporting their emails as spam. I have worked a lot in email communications for large nonprofits and people sometimes sign up for things and then change their minds or forget they signed up--please just unsubscribe and don't report them as spam. But, I would also suggest moving to another email service--Yahoo was terrible for spam when I was using it and their filters miss a lot of it. Gmail has the best spam filters, IMHO.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote