EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 25 Aug 2016, 05:30 PM   #16
ezkop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie007 View Post
Can you use the Opera VPN as a downloader?? Right now I am using a commercial VPN service because I downlaod a lot with bittorrents. Movies mainly.

TIA

Dutchie
It's a browser built-in VPN. I don't think you can let other programs go through it.
ezkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2016, 09:14 PM   #17
jl66
Essential Contributor

It's more a proxy than a VPN. And I recommend you a good paid VPN with no logs, but if you want to use this proxy then it's up to you.
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2016, 02:19 AM   #18
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkop View Post
It's a browser built-in VPN. I don't think you can let other programs go through it.
It doesn't require you use the Opera browser. If you reconnect a program after activating the VPN it should use the VPN and show that IP. It does with my VoIP and email clients.

To confirm IP & apparent geolocation: www.iplocation.net
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2016, 04:54 PM   #19
jl66
Essential Contributor

Opera says its service for syncing web browser data was hacked: https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/26/op...ta-was-hacked/
Old 28 Aug 2016, 05:58 PM   #20
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl66 View Post
Opera says its service for syncing web browser data was hacked: https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/26/op...ta-was-hacked/
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...03&postcount=1
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2016, 10:17 PM   #21
jl66
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Oh, I missed it
Old 3 Sep 2016, 11:07 AM   #22
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
According to Wikipedia iCloud, Protonmail and Tutanota never expire. Weither that is correct or not is a different question alltogether, it's Wikipedia after all.

Also a lot of providers are not listed in that comparison (eg EUMX, ContactOffice, Safe Mail, Posteo, Walla, Virgilio, Seznam, ...) while strangely enough some of those do have Wikipedia pages but they're not connected to the comparison of webmail providers. Posteo for example has a Wikipedia entry in English and in German, ContactOffice has a page in Dutch . Seznam has a page in English, Virgilio.it too , ...

In other words, better not just assume those services who according to Wikipedia have no inactivity limit, indeed never expire ... if any of those services appeal to you, doublecheck if that info is correct.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2016, 04:03 PM   #23
beeboy
Cornerstone of the Community

I think I mentioned it before but Zoho doesn't seem to delete accounts. I had abandoned a couple of accounts and they were still intact 2 or 3 years later. Maybe longer.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2016, 12:28 AM   #24
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

I have a lifetime ("ARPA") membership with sdf.org. It comes with a small email account that will last as long as they are in business. I sometimes go more than a year without logging in. They don't seem to mind. They're also very protective of your privacy.

sdf.org has been online for 29 years, so I don't think they're going to disappear or change their policies anytime soon.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2016, 01:24 AM   #25
Zach

Scientillion accounts don't expire due to inactivity: https://www.scientillion.com/content/user/ulogin
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2016, 01:33 AM   #26
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijinbear View Post

sdf.org has been online for 29 years, so I don't think they're going to disappear or change their policies anytime soon.
They did (a few years ago now) shut down many websites because they were of the opinion that they were consuming too many resources. They never notified anybody and I did not find out my website was down until I returned home from Europe.

I promptly closed down my account. My website consisted of about three html pages plus two very small perl scripts.
David is offline   Reply With Quote