EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 25 Aug 2016, 03:28 AM   #16
jl66
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
They use OX Suite (Open-Xchange).

I've tried this previously on a trial, both with mailbox.org and with Namecheap Private Email.

This has a lot of features, but I just find it . . . too fussy, too messy.

Posteo, on the other hand, is fairly simple, straight forward, but easy to understand.

I've certainly had no problems at all with Posteo.

It just works.
Thanks.
Yes, I am also a happy Posteo user
But I asked them 2 times to offer an alternative webclient without javascript, useful in many situations and like many other email companies do, but nothing at all, and I think they will never do I know I can use an email client like Thunderbird but in my personal situation I use webmail.
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2016, 05:20 AM   #17
north

please keep in mind, that both providers (posteo-de and mailbox-org) are political active (more or less leftwing / left).

posteo supports "freiheit statt angst". in this alliance you find radical left-wing groups, left-terror-supporting groups, radcial left-green groups e.g.

mailbox-org have a strange policy for users they want to use their service (or not). mailbox-org parent company behind (jpberlin-de / heinlein-support-de) calls themselves a political (left-wing) provider. jpberlin tries to do a check of the political convication and if you fail (right thoughts are not allowed) then you can not use / your are not allowed to use jpberlin/heinlein-support/mailbox-org service. they never ever described how they check the political convications of their users but here they write about "poltical provider" and what they mean with it (only in german)
Code:
https://anonym.to/?https://www.jpberlin.de/die-jpberlin/wieso-politischer-provider/
before you sign up one of this providers you should now this background information. i give you only the facts, the evaluation you have to do by your own.
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2016, 05:26 AM   #18
jl66
Essential Contributor

Well, some of us only look for an email client with some security features, nothing more. In my particular case I don't mind their ideas or political views. It's similar when you like the music of an artist and then you find he is following something you don't like, but his music is wonderful
Old 26 Aug 2016, 10:15 PM   #19
szdavid

I agree with you ; if there idea is not "problematic" from my point of view, it is fine for me so far

I am using the client for 2 days now and it seems to be a quite good service, i think
szdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2016, 04:13 AM   #20
TheJapanese

Back to topic.

Due to the price increase with fastmail I'm looking into mailbox.org. It's a good service with nice and good features.

It will compete to fastmail. Posteo is out of the race because no own domains.
TheJapanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2016, 07:11 PM   #21
krimlin
Essential Contributor

Any longer term every-day experience with mailbox.org?

My main problem with them was that, since they don't write all the code for their interface on their own, it usually takes ages for very small things to fix or implement. It took them a year to allow different colors for calendars, and when that finally got implemented, it was impossible to "empty" a calendar. The only thing they can do is to forward the issues to the developers of their "partner company" who may or may not fix them eventually.

They also have a different way of handling spam. Instead of a junk folder, they refuse to accept the mail completely. When I tested it, it resulted in a lot more spam mails than I was used to with fastmail. And several users complain about not received emails - their system obviously considered them as spam and didn't deliver it to the mailboxes.
krimlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2016, 09:21 PM   #22
jl66
Essential Contributor

After testing it, well... I prefer posteo.de but it's true that I miss some storage or space to upload/download files in posteo.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 01:25 AM   #23
correo

I've been testing it for a while and it has just about everything I want in an email provider.

I also have been on posteo, and I find it a little bit smoother, and overall I prefer it slightly. In part because I don't need the documents functionality and posteo's webmail interface seems a little "tighter" to my taste. I also prefer how they encrypt the Inbox with the password, instead of needing the PGP public key. Though less secure, it is more seamless and easier to use, which suits my requirements better.

However neither do dkim, which I wish was possible, especially with mailbox.org able to host my domain. They'll only do dkim for a business account.

Also, I have encountered one glitch with mailbox.org. Sometimes when navigating to the Settings -> mailbox.org page, the normal settings pane does not open, but rather a login window appears in the frame. In German. I wrote to support about it, and they told me to disable noscript and other addons, log out and back in again. I did that, but the error still occurs sporadically. And when the regular page is working, it works with all my plug ins enabled. I tried from 3 different computers and 3 different browsers. Seems that something is happening on their end inconsistently.

Overall mailbox.org is a great service from what I can see.

Edit: Regarding the glitch mentioned above, after a short exchange of emails, mailbox support (very responsive throughout) replied that they tracked down the cause of this (a new db back end for some users) and fixed it. I have not seen this bug since then.

Last edited by correo : 29 Dec 2016 at 03:50 AM.
correo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2016, 11:25 AM   #24
rockman

I've had a few accounts on mailbox.org. Overall it is a nice email service with lots of features. However, I've found a few issues with it:
1 - There is no way to star/flag emails
2 - Not all of their UI pages and elements are in English and a lot of times I get redirected to a non-English page.
3 - Their UI is developed by a third party and therefore bugs fixes and new features are very few and far between.

ActiveSync is very nice though!

I also have a Posteo account, and I prefer their service. Although, I am tired of the RoundCube UI...
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2017, 06:44 PM   #25
peter_x

Similar to many users of this forum, I had been looking for a while for a decent replacement to Fastmail (of which I ve been one of the first users initially in fact)...In a post-Lavabit world obviously security and privacy matter a lot. Taking many angles into consideration, I have similarly ended up with Posteo and Mailbox.org, and , quite frankly, cannot decide for myself, which one is ultimately the best.
I read the comments above and Mailbox s handling of spam bothers me a bit, as rejecting all might result in some false-positives.. Other than that, slight difference in handling own domains doesn't bother much, and cloud storage at Mailbox isnt a swinging factor for me, as I use my own storage, and have several setups for specific purposes.
I use mostly email clients, both on computer and mobile, those latter being non-Android devices. Sync and seamless push integration would have been valid points for me to consider. How do Posteo and Mailbox handle mobile integration then?
Would more users of Posteo and Mailbox.org kindly share their experiences with either services about any whatever insignificant aspect of their everyday use, please?
Would much appreciate that!
Still kind of undecided about the two. Would love to start a new thread with appropriately named Posteo vs Mailbox title, but actually thought this existing thread already touches both, so we might just as well continue here...
thanks again for all your thoughts and comments
peter_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2017, 02:59 AM   #26
LinuxArie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krimlin View Post
They also have a different way of handling spam. Instead of a junk folder, they refuse to accept the mail completely.
Mailbox.org has a spam / junk folder, Posteo.de not.
I've been using them both to see which I like more. I choose Mailbox.org.
Besides mail they have also in their web client some sort of Office (Posteo has this also) and they run a XMPP server, officially in testing.
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2017, 05:01 AM   #27
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxArie View Post
Mailbox.org has a spam / junk folder, Posteo.de not.
Really?

I'm looking at the Junk folder in my Posteo account, and there is an option in settings to configure spam filter.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2017, 05:03 AM   #28
peter_x

Question: which one of the two, Posteo or Mailbox.org, or both, can be accessed through the web interface without Javascript?

Does Posteo have ActiveSync? (I hear Mailbox.org has)

p.s. thank you for your feedback, LinuxArie, very valid points to consider! :-)
peter_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2017, 08:22 AM   #29
LinuxArie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Really?

I'm looking at the Junk folder in my Posteo account, and there is an option in settings to configure spam filter.
https://posteo.de/en/help/how-does-t...am-filter-work
Quote:
How does the Posteo spam filter work?

Spam categorisation functions at Posteo with a points system, as it also does with many other email providers. Our spam filter checks every incoming email against various criteria and awards points. The most important of these are the sending server and technical criteria – the content is less important. If an email is awarded a high point score during this check, it will be classified as spam, and will not be accepted. If it receives a low point score, it will be accepted and delivered to the recipient.
What happens when an email is classified as spam?

If the filter classifies an email as spam, it will not arrive, and the sender will be immediately notified that it was not delivered. There is no such thing as a folder for “suspected spam” at Posteo.

Our spam filter is very effective and only incorrectly classifies an email as spam on extremely rare occasions. If this does occur, the sender is immediately notified (by their server) that our server did not accept the email. The sender can attempt to remedy the reasons for classification as spam or, alternatively, contact the recipient via a different method.

With this approach, we prevent emails from getting lost. “Real” emails are often ignored after landing in a “suspected spam” folder. In addition, some providers automatically delete the emails in the “suspected spam” folder after a short time. This is how emails get “lost” with spam folders – the sender believes the email was sent as usual and read, but the recipient has missed the email completely, as it is in the spam folder. After some time it is then automatically deleted by the provider.

Moreover, we chose to administer our spam filter centrally. The filter is not, therefore, trained by the users. We decided on this approach because users often mark newsletters, notifications and advertising as spam, even though technically, they are not spam. You have the possibility, in addition to our central filter, to set up your own filter for emails from undesired senders.
Old 7 Oct 2017, 08:26 AM   #30
LinuxArie

https://i.imgur.com/MvPbHA6.png