EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 10 May 2005, 01:26 AM   #1
Gazania

Inbox.net. Once again, a once-good service ...

Has become rock-bottom.

It's bad enough I couldn't read the images in my e-mails .... couldn't even have the option. (I was receiving daily mail from a reputable source containing gifs).

It's bad enough that no admin has been on the Support board for months.

Now Inbox has gone and deleted all of my e-mails. Now, because of the above problem, that wasn't a big deal with 98% of the stuff. Although I checked monthly, I haven't really used the service ever since the gif problem. And I had made copies of at least one percent of the remaining emails to other services before this all happened. But gee ... it would have been nice to WARN us first in case I wanted the remaining stuff.

The time to stick a fork in Inbox is here. Most say it's long past. It's done.

In the last three months, I have lost two e-mail services and all of my e-mails, without warning. Makes you appreciate other email services so, so much better.

And in other unrelated news, a website service also decided to delete all of my stuff without warning. (That WAS a pain. I had a lot of stuff on it.) So that is THREE total services of any kind that have gone belly-up or messed up big-time.

Y'know, the old-timer services like Lycos, as flawed as they are, sometimes look appealing. At least you know the terms ... check every 30 days. Lycos has never just deleted my stuff without any sort of warning.

Time to punch a pillow, or something like that.
Gazania is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 May 2005, 01:46 AM   #2
webnote

it's good to stick to old-timer services - yahoo, hotmail, lycos, etc.

they just don't go belly-up all of a sudden.

on lycos, and on free email account,

lycos.com inactivity is 30days, 5mb

lycos.co.uk inactivity is 90days, 300mb
webnote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2005, 11:50 AM   #3
claven

I gave up on this service a while ago, but at one point I used them heavily. Strangely enough, my mail folders are all still there but are empty. My quota usage still reports 70% full. I remember this happening more than once before. Your mail may resurface again at some point. If it does, it might be worth copying/pasting or forwarding all of the mail that you really need!
claven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2005, 02:33 PM   #4
Gazania

oops. I mean check WITHIN a thirty-day period. Sorry. Also, I meant that out of the emails, 98% were useless, anyway, I copied 1%, and the other 1% is gone, at least temporarily.

I shouldn't be annoyed and post at the same time. Next time, I'd better punch that pillow first.

Good to know that happened before, claven. Thanks for the info.
Old 11 May 2005, 01:54 PM   #5
Gazania

Claven, you called it right!

I checked earlier, and it seems my e-mails are back. Not only that ... I can see gifs, too, after all these months!

Wow. It's a miracle! Well, not exactly.

Thanks again for the info.
Old 12 May 2005, 01:25 PM   #6
claven

It's a shame that the owner of the site won't either whip it back into shape or sell it to somebody else who will. It's a great domain name.

Now if I could only send and receive mail through inbox.net
claven is offline   Reply With Quote