EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Mar 2014, 11:13 PM   #16
dsemf

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Not on mine. Between Settings and Help on mine is Account, and there's no Advanced under Account either. Weird.
Are you using the Classic Interface? If so, try unchecking the Classic Interface box and use the new interface.
dsemf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Mar 2014, 11:21 PM   #17
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsemf View Post
Are you using the Classic Interface? If so, try unchecking the Classic Interface box and use the new interface.
Where do they have that choice hidden away? I sure haven't come across it.

Meanwhile I just got yet another email from the place I "blocked", and four days and still no coherent answer from their so-called tech support.

Runbox seems to have better credentials - better security, and people are saying that its tech support is very fast, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to bite the bullet and switch emails yet again.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2014, 12:11 AM   #18
dsemf

Quote:
Where do they have that choice hidden away?
It is on the logon screen. Logout, go to www.fastmail.fm, it is on the Log In to your account screen.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 12:21 AM   #19
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Thanks, ds. That solves one problem, namely now I can see that "Advanced" option - but none of the other problems, namely the "blocked" email still comes through same as ever, and the tech support doesn't respond.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 02:16 AM   #20
dsemf

Quote:
Thanks, ds.
You're welcome.

Quote:
That solves one problem, namely now I can see that "Advanced" option - but none of the other problems, namely the "blocked" email still comes through same as ever
I did a test to Discard based on From address and it worked for me. Try deleting and re-adding the rule. If you are in the advanced rules screen, don't forget to click on the Add button for the new rule, followed by the Save Changes link, followed by the Apply all changes link.

BTW: According to the Sieve documentation, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5228.txt, the Discard option must be Silent, there is no reject with message capability.

Quote:
and the tech support doesn't respond.
Sorry, can't help with this problem.

ds
Old 22 Mar 2014, 03:28 AM   #21
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsemf View Post
BTW: According to the Sieve documentation, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5228.txt, the Discard option must be Silent, there is no reject with message capability.
From RFC 5228

14. Changes from RFC 3028

This following list is a summary of the changes that have been made
in the Sieve language base specification from [RFC3028].
2. Removed reject extension (will be specified in a separate RFC)
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2014, 08:07 AM   #22
Chipper
Master of the @

I would like to have "non-silent" rejection without having to go the beta server/Sieve route.

There has only been one situation where I have needed this. My final email to them said, "Being polite did not work. I will not entertain any further discussion. Effective immediately, any emails you send will receive a reply to tell you it was automatically deleted before it reached my Inbox."

Fortunately the feature was still available when this situation occurred.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2014, 08:53 AM   #23
werewolf
Essential Contributor

I'm going to switch to Runbox. I already set up a free trial account. Now I have to go through the hassle of notifying everyone all over again.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 09:03 AM   #24
Chipper
Master of the @

One caveat if you use Runbox: ask what methods of recovering deleted emails they have in place.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 09:16 AM   #25
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
One caveat if you use Runbox: ask what methods of recovering deleted emails they have in place.

How do you mean? I just tried to delete one of my test emails, and it went into trash in the normal way.

I also successfully imported my contacts from Yahoo mail into Runbox - and that's yet another one of the many ways they've trashed Yahoo email, because it isn't easy to figure out how to export your contacts any more, tho it can be done.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 09:42 AM   #26
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
How do you mean? I just tried to delete one of my test emails, and it went into trash in the normal way.
Will pm with details.
Old 22 Mar 2014, 03:42 PM   #27
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
I'm going to switch to Runbox. I already set up a free trial account. Now I have to go through the hassle of notifying everyone all over again.
Why not get yourself a domain (or register a service like pobox.com.)
So you'll have an emailaddress for life and will be able to switch email providers as many times as you want without having to notify everyone anymore...
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2014, 11:40 PM   #28
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
Why not get yourself a domain (or register a service like pobox.com.)
So you'll have an emailaddress for life and will be able to switch email providers as many times as you want without having to notify everyone anymore...

How does that work? If I get a domain there, $20- $50 a year - do I also need to buy an email service separately, or does that include everything? It says this:

Email Service Free
Registration (optional) $15/year
AllMail (optional) $10/year
Mailstore gets 2 free

But I don't really understand what that means. I just want plain reliable email, like good old Yahoo was before they trashed it.

Fastmail support FINALLY responded. They said they'll see if they can get me a full refund since it's less than a month since I signed up. They also said they would look into the problem I was having trying to block an email, except it seems I want to cancel anyway,
Old 22 Mar 2014, 11:48 PM   #29
danieldk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
How does that work? If I get a domain there, $20- $50 a year - do I also need to buy an email service separately, or does that include everything? It says this:
I'd always get a domain from some other place then where you have your e-mail hosted. If your e-mail service goes down, it's very unlikely that you can change your DNS entries to some backup service during the downtime.

I get my domains from Gandi.net. Each domain comes with (among other things):

- E-Mail forwarding.
- Mail (IMAP and Webmail).
- DNS management.

If you don't know how to manage DNS? Simply let Gandi forward e-mail to your favorite mail service (say Fastmail). If managing DNS is no problem, you simply set replace the MX records by records that point to your e-mail service. If that e-mail service goes down, simply change the forward or MX records.

If your requirements are modest, you could even consider using Gandi's mail service, since it comes free with a domain. But it's pretty basic, since they are more a registrar than a mail service .

Quote:
Fastmail support FINALLY responded.
Just wondering, at which level were you?
danieldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2014, 12:10 AM   #30
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Dan - I'm Enhanced status at FM.

So if I get a domain at Gandi or Pobox (or Dreamhost which someone else recommended) I still need to pay separately for an email host? I can see the big benefit it not having to go through the hassle of changing my email address, but on the other hand it seems complicated and more expensive. Maybe I'll just try Runbox first,