EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 15 Oct 2003, 07:24 PM   #1

Thumbs up Retro Gaming!

Hey,

Hows the week treating you? I've had a good one so far - hopefully you're all having a good one too!!

Just wanted to create a thread on some of the best games of all time! Could be console, pc, mac, arcade and so on Which games make your classics list?

Remember the Sega Master System, and classic games such as Alex the Kidd in Miracle World, Sonic the Hegehog and Wonderboy?

How about Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country and Mortal Kombat on the Super Nintendo?

Of course how could we forget greats like Lara Croft in Tomb Raider, Battle Arena Toshinden 2, Street Fighter and Crash Bandicoot on the Playstation?

Last but not least we have all time classics like Mario Kart64, Clayfighter 63 1/3, Donkey Kong, Super Smash Bros and Golden Eye 007 on the Nintendo64!

These are some of my all time favourite games! As you can tell from the list I grew up with game consoles and never got into pc games - well unless you count the old school Amiga Commodore, but thats going waaaaay back

Have a good one, feel free to add any other games to the list!

Dan

Old 15 Oct 2003, 07:37 PM   #2
Spin
The "e" in e-mail

My ALL TIME favorite video games are:

Donkey Kong: Nintendo
Sonic the Hedgehog: Sega
Halo: XBOX

Halo 2 comes out in march. But the original halo is the best game I have ever played.

Old 15 Oct 2003, 07:57 PM   #3

Forgot to add in Mortal Kombat for the Nintendo64 and Diddy Kong Racing too
Old 15 Oct 2003, 09:32 PM   #4
Gankaku

The DK series (DK Country) on SN was great. And MegaMan is fun.

The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time on N64 is one we're still playing now. The music is beautiful on that game. Also right now my son is playing Banjo Tooie - there are some fun multi-player minigames on there.

Also my favorite PC game is Kyodai. We also like TextTwist.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2003, 06:27 PM   #5
Edwin
 Administrator 

Gosh, all those retro games sound so NEW - either that, or I'm really getting old.

I loved Star Wars and Gauntlet in the arcades, and Paradroid, M.U.L.E. and Archon on the C64. The Hobbit on the Sinclair Spectrum was pretty fun too, though I seem to remember the game would completely lock up if you left Bag End via the window at the very beginning!
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2003, 07:15 PM   #6
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
I don't own a console when I was young.... But the popular PC game I got for my 286 was PAC-MAN!
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2003, 10:37 PM   #7
mammaduck
Cornerstone of the Community

Edwin, we must be old. When I was young consoles didn't exist

When I got a pc (old 386) I loved the game Lemmings ......... still have fond memories of those green little buggers all though they used to give me sleepless nights at one point

Hanneke

Last edited by mammaduck : 16 Oct 2003 at 10:52 PM.
mammaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2003, 04:34 AM   #8
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Hrm... I remember an old game that kept me entertained for days, I had it on an old MSX machine, the game had to be loaded from a tape/cassette (you know, the stuff you put in walkmans)... it was good. A-Stop or something it was called, and you had to time the braking of a train so that it'd stop in a station at the right moment. Very simple, lots of fun.

Then there was a game in which you played some rescue-the-princess person, who had to climb a giant tree, and was constantly attacked by owls, snakes and other tree-dwelling creatures. Hard, but fun. Lots of ladderclimbing..

Then came Atari, with dozens of games. Really enjoyed that, though I have to confess I never owned that console, just played it at my aunt's place...

Somewhere in between there also was a Commodore-64 on which I played a game named 'Sopwith', a side-view fighterplane/bomber thingy and 'pandora'-something, which involved germans and creaky sounds from the PC speaker, and finding keys in satelite view...

Then I got my first PC. I remember being thrilled by a movie of a horse walking, dragging in it's card the logo of the company who made the digital encyclopedia that came with it...

Then came Wolfenstein for me... then Lemmings, which gave me countless of sleepless nights, in fact. I remember the level in which you had a huge block of one-way-diggable-only stone, and I spent over three weeks figuring that one out... the feeling when you finally realize how to solve a puzzle, I've never had another game do that. Lemmings is a GREAT game

Nowadays it's back to the Castle in Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and it's free Multiplayer version 'Enemy Territory' (look for a character named Almalexia, if you play it... c'est moi!)

If you feel nostalgic, take a look at The Home of The Underdogs (HOTU), it's an Abandonware site, the biggest on the net. Their download procedure is a bit quirky, due to bandwidth thiefs...

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2003, 04:53 AM   #9
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I too love Lemmings (courtesy of LiDL, I got the Windows versions of the first two games), and just about anything for the Sinclair ZX-Spectrum or Amstrad CPC (pity I could never afford a CPC back then — but I've made up for lost time).  I've recently been playing Driller (by what were then Incentive Software — the first ever full-3D FPS game, back in 1987, years before Doom et al) and its sequel, Dark Side.

Some links you may like:

The Spectrum (and Sinclair computers generally) newsgroup

The newsgroup for the Amstrad CPC series

The one for the Commodore 64

The one for the 8-bit Atari systems

The main Spectrum site (pity that there's no equivalent, that I can find, for the other machines — yet...)

Games remakes galore! (if you liked Skool Daze — or even if you've never heard of it — you'll love Klass of '99)
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2003, 07:19 PM   #10

One of my favourite games on the Amiga Commodore was a game called Crazy Sue. Crazy Cars, Wings, Sim City, Monkey Island were also great games!

dan
Old 8 Nov 2003, 10:01 PM   #11
gpdoyon

The first game I got hooked on, the ones that are as tall as you and you play in an arcade, was Asteroids. After MUCH money was spent we eventually got good enough to make one quarter last hours.

The other arcade games that I liked was Missile Command. That was fun. You had to have REALLY fast reflexes to protect your bases from incoming missiles. Finally, there was Dig-Dug, Donkey Kong and Pac-Man. The year of the arcade games for me was about 1978 or 1979. Such fun!

The first PC games I played on an 8088 PC was Sopwith Camel, in which you controlled a bi-plane and you had to shoot enemy positions with a single gun. Pretty lame speaker sounds.

Finally, game graphics got good enough to where I really enjoyed them with the likes of Wolfenstein.

All good fun!

- Gerry

Last edited by gpdoyon : 9 Nov 2003 at 04:15 AM.
gpdoyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2003, 03:38 AM   #12
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

The RetroSpec site already mentioned by me has just released their latest remake — of the classic (circa 1988) graphic adventure, Head Over Heels.  Go there and download it now! (15Mb)

When it was announced on the newsgroups, one twit complained that it was a 15Mb download, when games back in the 1980s were squeezed into 64K.  Of course, people replied to point out that the graphics and sound are vastly improved over the original, and anyway 15Mb is tiny for games these days...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2003, 02:39 AM   #13
Lily

I had an Atari when I was a kid. I remember the games I liked the most were Space Invaders, Pac-Man, tennis and missile command.

** Do I sound like a dinosaur? **
(at 33 y.o I'm still young ).
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2003, 07:18 PM   #14

Does anyone remember the game Digger? You can download it free from digger.org

Used to play this game for hours when I was younger.

dan
Old 17 Nov 2003, 08:09 PM   #15
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by gpdoyon
The first game I got hooked on, the ones that are as tall as you and you play in an arcade, was Asteroids. After MUCH money was spent we eventually got good enough to make one quarter last hours.

- Gerry
I got seriously addicted to Asteroids too Gerry, I used to spend every lunch time in the company social club trying to improve my score.

The only other game that I got hooked on was the original Sega master system version of Sonic the Hedgehog. Once I had completed the game I never went near it again, but the console is still in my loft and one day I may attempt it again

BTW ....Although modern games have fantastic graphics, I still think that good 'game play' is far more important. Remember the original arcade ping pong game?

Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote