EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 17 Nov 2003, 08:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally posted by Malc 44

BTW ....Although modern games have fantastic graphics, I still think that good 'game play' is far more important. Remember the original arcade ping pong game?

Malc
I still like 2d games way better then 3d. 3d games are always too hard to finish. (has anyone ever finished Golden Eye 007/Donkey Kong64 and so on without cheating...?)
Old 17 Nov 2003, 10:59 PM   #17
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Malc 44
BTW ....Although modern games have fantastic graphics, I still think that good 'game play' is far more important. Remember the original arcade ping pong game?
Have you checked out the RetroSpec site I mentioned? The ethos you quoted is theirs exactly...

If Head Over Heels is too difficult for you (I can never get very far into the original without massive cheating), you could always try Skool Daze: Klass of '99, which is another brilliant remake but many people found it to be too easy...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2003, 11:15 PM   #18
Malc 44
Essential Contributor

Thanks Robert, I'll check it out later. I really prefer games that have a quick learning curve as I don't want to waste too much time getting the hang of it.

Malc
Malc 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2003, 05:50 AM   #19
ROBERT.BAK
Essential Contributor

Great retrogames discussion board!

http://www.killergamers.com/ (renamed, formerly retrochat.com)
ROBERT.BAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2003, 06:50 AM   #20
dragon1
Cornerstone of the Community

My very first non-PC game was Atari's Pong game.

My boyfriend's sister worked at Atari and could buy them at an employee discount rate.

Don't even own a console game box now, since I play games either online or offline on my PC. Want the Nintendo GameCube, though.
dragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2003, 11:30 AM   #21
Camille
Cornerstone of the Community

I forget what you call those little handheld games?... Not a gameboy... game and watch? I used to love playing KingKong, Octopus and Snoopy tennis on it.

Super Mario brothers, Zelda.

PC games would be tetris, win lose or draw, Chips.

Can't remember the rest since most of the time I played with my tea sets.
Camille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Dec 2003, 07:56 PM   #22
Mechanical Jerk

I think that playing emulators loses alot of the character from games.

I mean the joy of loading a tape game back in the CPC464 days was... well it was a pain, but cause it took so long you played that game even if it was rubbish. The thought of loading another was just too much.

You tend to pick up the game much more when you know that it'll take 1/2 for another to load...
Mechanical Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Dec 2003, 06:21 AM   #23
mister
Essential Contributor

Digger?

It's still around at www.digger.org along with other games from Windmill Software Styx is my fave.Lots of (remade}oldies at www.remakes.org but the ones I've tried have been a bit buggy,you maight enjoy the psychedelic Asteroids remake(for a few minutes anyway)
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2004, 11:12 AM   #24
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Re: Digger?

Quote:
Originally posted by mister
It's still around at www.digger.org along with other games from Windmill Software Styx is my fave.Lots of (remade}oldies at www.remakes.org but the ones I've tried have been a bit buggy,you maight enjoy the psychedelic Asteroids remake(for a few minutes anyway)
I've become somewhat addicted to Digger, remastered for Windows. You can download free here - http://www.digger.org/windig.zip (80kb)

Also,

Does anyone remember the game Crazy Sue or Budokan: The martial spirit (spelling for the last game?) for commodore amiga?

I'd love to find a windows version of these games!
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2004, 11:15 AM   #25
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Also these old sega master system games are fun;

Alex the Kid in Miracle World
Alex the Kid in Shinobi World
Sonic the Hegehog
California Games
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2004, 02:18 AM   #26
teacher
Master of the @

I love Space Invaders, use to play it all the time when I was younger ..... have it now for my Game Boy Advance.

I'm ready for the invasion
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2004, 12:29 PM   #27
caramelo

I really miss Hardball 1 and 2 for the C64. Boy those games were so much better than the over the top crap baseball games out now.

caramelo
caramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2004, 03:41 PM   #28
kander
The "e" in e-mail

For all you retro-gamers on EMD... there's a game coming by Introversion Software (the makers of the game Uplink), called Darwinia. It's not very complete yet, but it's going to be a giant psychadelic retro-trip, in a modern wrapping... Currently you can admire some screenshots at the fansites, and there's a video doing the rounds which shows off some of the graphics.

For some reason I feel this might actually be a lot of fun...

Check out http://introversion.co.uk for links to the fansites... their main site doesn't have a lot of info yet

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2004, 04:15 PM   #29
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by kander
For all you retro-gamers on EMD... there's a game coming by Introversion Software (the makers of the game Uplink), called Darwinia. It's not very complete yet, but it's going to be a giant psychadelic retro-trip, in a modern wrapping... Currently you can admire some screenshots at the fansites, and there's a video doing the rounds which shows off some of the graphics.

For some reason I feel this might actually be a lot of fun...

Check out http://introversion.co.uk for links to the fansites... their main site doesn't have a lot of info yet

--K
How is this connected to Retro?
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2004, 04:31 PM   #30
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Read, Killer, and all shall be revealed.

Take the 'classic' feeling of Retro, that is, putting old games in a new coat. Darwinia is going to do the opposite, it's going to put a new game in an old coat. Sort-of. Bah, it's hard to explain... A screenshot says more than a thousand words, I guess:

http://www.darwinia.co.uk/screenshots/fw.jpg (please note that this is a pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha version... graphics and stuff like that will definitely be improved, but it does show a bit of what to expect)

See, the classical stick-men? And you can call in 'airstrikes' which are launched from orbit by Space Invaders...

The story is rather interesting. Some weird Doctor (Good Guy) has made a fortune making videogames in the 80's. Eventually he put all his money on a revolutionary product. When it shipped it turned out that it had many shortcomings, and nearly all the items were sent back as being defect. The Doc was ruined, unfortunately. He was stuck with a lot of these devices (approximately 50.000 of them), and couldn't do anything with them. Now he has discovered by accident that he can link them together, and create a virtual world. This world is inhabited by the creatures/objects/etc from the videogames he used to make. Unfortunately something... bad.. (not sure what it is exactly) is happening, and it's threatening the virtual world. Elite 'Insertion Units' (the player's squad) are sent in to deal with the problems. The game will have a strong focus on story, and will try to emulate the feeling that Old Games gave. As for now it plays a bit like Cannon Fodder...

If you want to know more, read the articles on the fansites.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote