EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Oct 2021, 01:52 AM   #1
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Up Date Instructions ?

I wish to respectfully make suggestion that Fast Mail update Fowarding email
instructions. They don't work. Could be my computer but i follow the given instructions. I have an up to date Computer. Thank You
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Oct 2021, 07:39 PM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

You posted recently about forwarding. I had the impression, from what you then posted, that what someone-else then suggested had worked for you.

Did it in fact not work? Or, are you trying to do something slightly different now?

Maybe if you explain what you tried, what actually happens and what you want to have happen, someone can help.

Also, I hope you don't mind me saying so, but you seem to have become a little forgetful recently. Can I ask if you're in the habit of writing notes to yourself about how you achieve things? If not, maybe you should?

I've been doing that for quite a while now, partly because I can have the PC search my notes for words that I think I might have used in those notes, to find them again. And my notes - especially if they tell me about unexpected behaviour of an interface, maybe (I think) misleading information shown in a pane, or an "OK" or "Continue" button that's easy to forget to click on - tend to be written after I've had difficulty doing something. And if I had difficulty once I'll likely have difficulty again.

If in fact you think FM should change their instructions, there's not much point in saying so here. You'd need to raise a ticket and tell them. In my experience it's also useful to be able to explain what's wrong (or ambiguous) with the existing instructions and to be able to suggest a better way of wording it.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2021, 07:41 PM   #3
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
I wish to respectfully make suggestion that Fast Mail update Fowarding email
instructions. They don't work. Could be my computer but i follow the given instructions. I have an up to date Computer. Thank You
You mean this FM article? If so I don't see anything wrong there and it should work.

For creating rule, when clicking "Send a copy to" will cause the corresponding Sieve code do a redirect which I would expect to work.

For the alias case you need to set the alias's target which I suppose they could make a little more clear by mentioning the "target" is the alias's "Deliver to" setting.

So which one of these are you using that you say doesn't work?

---

I was constructing my reply before JeremyNicoll's post was there. So some of this is somewhat redundant.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2021, 08:59 PM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I mostly use alias forwarding, and it has worked well for years for the purposes it is designed for. For me, the main objective is sending email, in addition to Fastmail, also to a non Fastmail backup email service. Messages are received at the backup service most of the time even when Fastmail is totally inoperative. A secondary use I have had is helping to diagnose cases where expected emails do not arrive at my Fastmail account. Checking if it is also missing from the backup account can help in diagnosing the cause of the non delivery.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote