EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 18 Feb 2002, 04:17 PM   #1
Gazania

Question DARN! Lost the URL to an e-mail service

A while ago, someone mentioned a free e-mail service meant for those situations where you didn't want to add your personal e-mail (e.g., if a particular forum ... not THIS one, of course! .... does not offer you an option to hide your e-mail). It was a temporary service ... you would list the e-mail addy, get the password and initial info from a board, for instance, keep it for a pre-determined amount of time, and then the e-mail would be deactivated.

I KNOW someone mentioned sneakemail in the same thread, and it's pretty interesting, but I wanted to compare the two services. It WOULD help, though, if I remembered the name of the other service! Thanks!
Gazania is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Feb 2002, 05:13 PM   #2
jhs
Essential Contributor

One way to get "throw-away" email addresses is to get your own (sub)domain. So you simple creates addresses like address1@domain.com, address2@domain.com. By default you forward all mails sent to *@domain.com to you real email, and you then block the ones you don't want.

If you sign up for FastMail you will get a subdomain, you can use in this way. Mailshell.com will also give you a subdomain with such a feuture. And finally you can register your own domain, and use Zoneedit or MyDomain to manage your forwarding.

--
Jan Sorensen
jhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2002, 06:05 PM   #3
Obiwaren

Lightbulb Maybe these?

I hope this helps.

Spamhole:
http://www.spamhole.com/

Mailexpire:
http://www.mailexpire.com/
Obiwaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2002, 11:32 AM   #4

Another way is to sign up for free webspace from cjb.net or FreeServers.com . ( And I am sure that there are more. I've used these, tho. I have found cjb.net to be more reliable. ) You don't necessarily have to actually post a website, but you do get a free email address.

You can set up POP and/or forwarding. If an address gets innundated with spam, it is a simple process to kill it and start another one. While this may not be the most reliable email address in the world, it's a great way to keep a series of rotating email addresses to use simply for registration on the 'net.
Old 19 Feb 2002, 02:10 PM   #5
Gazania

Thanks, all!

The "spamhole" e-mail was the one I was looking for, but ALL your ideas were great! Thanks!
Old 24 Feb 2002, 02:58 AM   #6
CyberSmurf

Lightbulb url redirection & email forwarding

One more suggestion. Not strickly e-mail.

If you already have a homepage, then you can always try SmartRedirect.

You get a subdomain which will redirect to your homepage.
You also get 5 free forwarding addresses, each of which will forward to any address you specify.

If you don't want to use the address anymore, just delete it, create a different address.
If you want to use the address again, just re-create the forwarding address.

I have created addresses here to forward to friends, so I don't have to worry about giving out their addresses on the web (eg. at an e-card site).
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2002, 02:33 PM   #7
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

yes, both of the following services can be used as disposable email services and temporary URL Redirection:

www.pobox.com

30-day free trial - can create and delete email addresses at anytime which can also be used as URL forwarding which can be created or deleted at anytime

www.bigfoot.com

same thing as above, just click on "account termination" to nuke it.

www.spamhole.com and www.mailexpire.com seem like good services too, except I've tested them and mailexpire does not seem to be forwarding my email!
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2002, 02:37 PM   #8
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

addendum correction to the above.

www.bigfoot.com no longer offers URL forwarding for free - it's part of their premium service now. Also, Bigfoot.com is a piece of crap these days. I recommend www.pobox.com over bigfoot.

Last edited by FromLine : 26 Feb 2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 24 Feb 2002, 02:42 PM   #9
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Mailexpire.com is not working.

Okay, I set up a mailexpire.com account as test - it sent me a confirmation email that my account has been set up, but the email address they gave me just isn't forwarding. This does not give me a good feel for their service.

I think a www.pobox.com account seems the easiest as an email address can be created or destroyed at anytime and starts working immediately.

Am I the only one creating a new account every 30 days to avoid paying for pobox.com?
Old 25 Feb 2002, 08:45 AM   #10
emailmaniac
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by fb19
...Am I the only one creating a new account every 30 days to avoid paying for pobox.com?
Probably not, but let's hope it isn't a common practice.
These Pobox.com folks offer what is coming to be known as the best email forwarding service available. With each account you get up to three different email addies, and the ability to forward to as many as five destination addresses. Their spam filters are excellent and up-time admirable. And all that for $15 a year? Nope, I'm happy to pay up. These guys deserve their money. Think it over...
emailmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2002, 10:02 AM   #11
CyberSmurf

re SmartRedirect

Regarding SmartRedirect, I was not talking about using disposable accounts at SmartRedirect. What I was trying to say is ...

Get an account, eg "http://yourpage.w3site.com".
You keep the account, but add and delete (change) the e-mail addresses ('aliases') xxxxxx@yourpage.w3site.com.
If you have not set up (or have deleted) the 'alias' joeblow@yourpage.w3site.com, then any mail will be returned to sender.

=============================================
Also, I am not a fan of Bigfoot.com. Last time I tried it, both my Bigfoot address and my "forward to" ended up in their e-mail directory. There was the option to hide both addresses or show both, but not show to the Bigfoot address only. In addition when I changed my "forward to" address, my other address was still in their directory.

=============================================
Thirdly, I am not a proponent of hit-and-run accounts. Abuse hurts us all.
If you want a temporary account then use a service that is intended for temporary accounts. (I'm making a distinction here between addresses and accounts).
Of course, that's only my opinion.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2002, 11:56 AM   #12
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by emailmaniac

These Pobox.com folks offer what is coming to be known as the best email forwarding service available. With each account you get up to three different email addies, and the ability to forward to as many as five destination addresses.
Thanks, and I agree, pobox.com is a very reliable service and I actually just started using it. I will likely join the service if I continue to use it. I've been very happy with fastmail.fm and will likely be joining as a member there very soon.

What I do like about pobox.com is that an email address can be created or deleted at anytime and it's very reliable and starts working immediately.

However, one comment I do have about pobox.com is this. For $15 per year (or even on their $35 per year enhanced feature plan), they only give you 3 forwarding email addresses. If you want more, you have to pay an additional $7 per year for each set of 3.

As someone pointed out on this forum though, with services like www.godaddy.com , www.mydomain.com, one can register their own domain for $8.95 / yr, $12.95 /yr, or $14.95 / yr with an unlimited number of forwarding email addresses that can be created or deleted at anytime, hence, there's been many economical arguments that domain registration is actually cheaper than using a forwarding service.

I think $15 per year is very reasonable for pobox.com and what they have to offer, however, I don't think 3 forwarding email addresses is enough and $7 per each set of additional 3 can be a bit steep. I would prefer to have at least 5, 10, or more for $15 per year.

From Pobox.com billing and pricing:

Additional sets of
3 Pobox Addresses+ $7 per set

Also, using filters and auto-responders will cost you an additional $20 per year, so, full use of the service with more than 3 forwarding email addresses, filters, and auto-responders many run between $42 -$49 per year on either plan.

I do think that www.pobox.com does offer a reliable forwarding service and is certainly prefered over www.spamhole.com and www.mailexpire.com (not to mention that www.bigfoot.com has really been going downhill).

Considering the competitiveness with domain registration services offering unlimited forwarding email addresses, I would prefer to have at least 5 or 10 forwarding email addresses for $15 per year - especially in light of the advantage of using them for temporary and disposable email addresses.

Just comment for thought.
Old 25 Feb 2002, 03:30 PM   #13
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Mailexpire is a peice of crap - 24 hours later, I get this:

To:

Subject: failure delivery

Message from yahoo.com.
Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).

<rnhx7kpqm9@mailexpire.com>:

Sorry, I couldn't find any host by that name. (#4.1.2)
I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

======

Above is the address they assigned me and it does not work. I think Mailexpire is unreliable.
Old 27 Feb 2002, 01:45 AM   #14
Gazania

I tried mailexpire and sneakemail

I had the same results with mailexpire.
Old 27 Feb 2002, 04:35 AM   #15
JeffK

When experimenting I thought Mailexpire had worked for me just a little slow to terminate the address when requested. I'll try it again.

Jeff.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote