EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 16 Oct 2005, 04:32 AM   #16
Sherry

[Moderator:] memac, I just noticed your post and it sounds like you are also a Representative of a service. If so, will you please send a PM to Edwin to request Service Representative staus. Thank you.
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2005, 05:30 AM   #17
sreenadh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by s a
They offer a $20/yr account (100 mb space) and a $30/yr account with 1GB of storage - Link.

but u cannot do email hosting in that package. For email hosting we have to use the business package which gives 5 accounts when all that is needed is just 1 account.
sreenadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2005, 06:14 AM   #18
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by aleinss
Long time Mailblocks user. I just moved to tuffmail.com last night and registered a domain name so I can keep the same e-mail address for at least the next 10 years. I re-setup all my aliases using the Sieve wizard. I did look at Fastmail because it got high ratings here, but you only get 5 aliases and you get unlimited aliases at Tuffmail. Kind of a no brainer for me.
Tuffmail's great. I use them to manage email for a couple of my domains. I must say that John Capo's support is second to none. Highly recommended IMO!
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2005, 07:23 AM   #19
merylsmith

I'm a bit confused about webmail.us. I cannot find anywhere to sign up for a personal account with 1 gig of space. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Meryl
merylsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2005, 12:22 PM   #20
Dan23

Quote:
Originally posted by merylsmith
I'm a bit confused about webmail.us. I cannot find anywhere to sign up for a personal account with 1 gig of space. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Meryl
Same here. The demo looks great, but there just doesn't seem to be an option for one dude's personal email account.
Dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2005, 11:30 PM   #21
s a
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan23
Same here. The demo looks great, but there just doesn't seem to be an option for one dude's personal email account.
The link I posted earlier pointed to a sign-up form for single users. They seem to have redirected that link to the main pricing page in the last 24 hours. Fairly sneaky on their part - email support and ask if they still offer the plan (assuming you still want an account with them).
s a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2005, 10:57 AM   #22
o0o
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by oysterquartz
Tuffmail's great. I use them to manage email for a couple of my domains. I must say that John Capo's support is second to none. Highly recommended IMO!
What does Fastmail have that tuffmail does not, if anything?
o0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2005, 11:10 AM   #23
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by o0o
The only thing I can think of (off hand) is a better (faster) webmail interface, if you don't want to use a client
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2005, 06:07 PM   #24
s a
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by o0o
Answer
Old 17 Oct 2005, 06:10 PM   #25
JeffK

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffK

I've asked mailblocks (AOL) for a refund.

To get back on track, I received an email from mailblocks asking me to supply more information as per their "service closing" email. Will keep you posted.

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2005, 06:23 AM   #26
kzemach

I too have asked for a refund, and will see where that goes. It's not like the money matters so much as the principle of it. They should have bought it, taken the technology they wanted, then offered it back up for sale. Am sure there would have been some enterprising email company that would want to buy it and thus buy all those existing users. There was no reason that it needed to be shutdown; it had some really nice features.

For me now, I'm looking at:

tuffmail: might work, but I'm kinda confused at some of the preference options. I don't need confusion. Plus, it's a bit pricey for the amount of storage space. But definitely an option. Also annoying is that when a new message comes into a folder, it isn't noting that there's a new message there; I have to check the folder manually. Am sure there's some way of doing that, but again, that's buried in the confusion factor.

runbox: not opening up emails in separate window is annoying. Also not really trusting that they'll be around in 5 years? But, overall seems to be solid.

fusemail: This seems like it MIGHT be the killer app of email and all info management, but when I hit refresh, it takes a bit to refresh. Problem is, if I go overseas and need to use a crappy internet cafe (happens quite a bit) then bandwidth is a serious issue, and it wouldn't work.

fastmail: overall tuffmail seems better, so I think it's out for me, although not a bad service really

Overall, it's been like 3 years since I've looked for a webclient for email. I'm pleasantly suprised that there are this many options. None perfect by a longshot, but at least several are workable.
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2005, 08:01 AM   #27
aleinss

I noticed the new mail notification thing with Tuffmail in IMP4 as well, so I posted a message in the Email Help section on this board. So far I'll really impressed with Tuffmail and like it better than Mailblocks. I just wonder what it does with all the messages it tags as spam. I guess I need to get into the FAQ a bit more.
aleinss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2005, 09:36 PM   #28
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

I've had accounts at Mailsnare, Fusemail, Runbox, and still retain Fastmail and Tuffmail.

I'd say that if you want to use email at your own domains, Tuffmail is by far at better deal. There are no limits to the number of domains you can use. It also gives you a choice of open source webmail clients. That said, I don't think that I'll be dropping Fastmail any time soon but if I had to choose only one it would be Tuffmail given the domain issue.

Fusemail was a dud. Buggy, slow, full of problems in my experience. I dumped it after 3 months. Mailsnare is expensive comparatively IMO and Runbox, much beloved by me initially, simply didn't keep to the competition up after three years.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 09:38 PM   #29
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Has anyone received a positive reply from Mailblocks about the refund. A couple of replies I got seemed to indicated that there were looking for ways to avoid paying the refund.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 09:54 PM   #30
s a
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by oysterquartz
Has anyone received a positive reply from Mailblocks about the refund. A couple of replies I got seemed to indicated that there were looking for ways to avoid paying the refund.
They asked me to send them the "secret answer" in order to process the refund. I don't remember this so I wrote asking them to change my secret question (this can be done only through customer support). I haven't heard from them since - they can keep the $10 I wasted on them.