EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Jun 2023, 09:41 PM   #1
jer39lms

MacOS Fastmail app?

Hi,

I'm currently working on a Macbook Pro running MacOS Ventura 13.4 and using Chrome. Today I received an invitation to download the Fastmail app - so I did, and I now see a full running Fastmail app running outside of chrome - is this a legit Fastmail app? I have never heard of this before today.

Thanks

Jeremy
jer39lms is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Jun 2023, 01:49 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Yes. I read it somewhere, but can't find it at the moment.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2023, 09:19 PM   #3
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer39lms View Post
Hi,
Today I received an invitation to download the Fastmail app - so I did, and I now see a full running Fastmail app running outside of chrome - is this a legit Fastmail app?
I think I'd want to ask where the invitation came from, and where you downloaded that app from.

Also, was it dgitally-signed (assuming that happens with such things), and if so, by whom?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2023, 11:01 PM   #4
Avion

Is it the FMail app?

https://terrygodier.com/reviews/fmail/
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2023, 07:05 AM   #5
jer39lms

nope it's not the FMail app. When I'm in Chrome on a MAC and I have fastmail open in a tab, and I then click on the options menu, there is an "install fastmail app" option - that's how I got to it. It works fine - just like the web one
jer39lms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2023, 07:30 AM   #6
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
nope it's not the FMail app. When I'm in Chrome on a MAC and I have fastmail open in a tab, and I then click on the options menu, there is an "install fastmail app" option - that's how I got to it. It works fine - just like the web one
It seems a little odd that - here - you tell us you got the app by choosing an option in the fastmail web interface's options tab ... and yet at the start of the thread you said you got it in another way and wondered if it was genuine.

Are you saying you in fact downloaded it twice?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2023, 05:23 PM   #7
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avion View Post
This one is what I’m using all the time. It’s very good and and is well maintained.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2023, 09:14 AM   #8
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
What options menu?
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2023, 04:15 PM   #9
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

All this going back and forth on whether this app is legit! Is all this actually for a MacOS app named "FMail" or one called "FMail2"?••

For all MacOS apps I recommend you either download them directly from the author's own website or a trusted app listing site like MacUpdate. MacUpdate has been around for many years (over 20 I think). It has an entry for downloading FMail2 (link), not a app named FMail anywhere.•• It also references the FMail2's own site https://fmail-app.fr/. A google search will find both the author's site and the MacUpdate page.

•• Looking at the FMail website, they have a page about it's legacy. That says FMAil2 is the successor of FMail. So if you installed an app named FMail and not the latest called FMail2 you are accessing an old out-of-date version of that app.

And like placebo says, what options menu in the FastMail web UI? I don't use Chrome but I suspect you are looking at one of Chrome's own menus (or menu item) named Options.

Last edited by xyzzy : 28 Jun 2023 at 07:07 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote