EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Apr 2018, 07:41 PM   #1
hjACFjf4B6

Identities - Fetch default on new message

What controls the default from address on new messages?

I have a number of Identities / Fetch items, and its not clear why it is picking one over another.

Thanks

Peter
hjACFjf4B6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Apr 2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

One is set to default, just click the from name you require when composing an email.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2018, 10:07 AM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

There are two factors that control this.

If you go to Settings->Identities, there is a setting easy to miss Compose new messages from ...

In addition to the above, there is a fantastic feature available for those who want to completely isolate categories of email from each other. If you go to Settings->Folders and click Edit next to a folder, and ensure you have Show advanced preferences set, there is a Default identity associated with the Folder. This controls the Identity that will be used when you reply to a message in that folder, or compose a new message while browsing that folder. By setting this on a Folder and its subfolders, you can create a sort of sub account where you are unlikely to use the wrong Identity by accident.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2018, 06:30 PM   #4
hjACFjf4B6

Thanks BritTim

The "Componse new messages from...." is helpful for me in this situation.

The second item doesn't apply, I use Fastmail as the pass through and do not keep email long term there. (MS Outlook on the desktop).

Fastmail:

Please consider enhancing the Identities/Fetch to more flexible.
  • Such as Sort Order
  • an option for quick selection buttons (on a new message), ie: Primary 1, 2, 3.
    Then I can assign one my Identities to each button.

Otherwise.... Thanks for a great functionality email service... You are superior, but not enough.
hjACFjf4B6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2018, 09:24 AM   #5
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjACFjf4B6 View Post
Thanks BritTim

The "Componse new messages from...." is helpful for me in this situation.

The second item doesn't apply, I use Fastmail as the pass through and do not keep email long term there. (MS Outlook on the desktop).

Fastmail:

Please consider enhancing the Identities/Fetch to more flexible.
  • Such as Sort Order
  • an option for quick selection buttons (on a new message), ie: Primary 1, 2, 3.
    Then I can assign one my Identities to each button.

Otherwise.... Thanks for a great functionality email service... You are superior, but not enough.
You can achieve something like this by simply placing a number at the start of each name of an Identity.

For example I have:
  • 1-Fred from home
  • 2-Fred from work
  • 3-Fred from Club

etc

Then when I am in Compose, and I want to send from "Fred from club", I click the From dropdown menu and then hit keyboard '3', and Tab to move to move the To field.

If you have more than 9 or 10 Personalities, then I guess using alpha's as prefixes instead would work the same.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 10:53 AM   #6
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

This might be a bit off but i used to be able to send mail with only my address in the FROM but now my address is preceded by my name when the person receives my email. I very much wish to go back to the original if that is possible. Thanks for your thoughts on his matter
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2018, 10:35 PM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Change identity setting

The FROM address used is controlled in the Settings>Identies&Fetch menu. The default sending Identity (From header) is shown at the bottom and can be changed. So either create a new identity or change the current default identity to not include your name.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 02:08 AM   #8
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Bill for your response The slot to add name you want to be sent with your email is blank but usually my first name is sent anyway in front of my address. guess i will have to live with it. Thanks again for responding
Old 3 May 2018, 02:39 AM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
...The slot to add name you want to be sent with your email is blank but usually my first name is sent anyway in front of my address. guess i will have to live with it...
I tested this before my earlier post by creating a new identity, clearing the name field, then saving the identity and setting the default to that identity. I then sent an email to myself and the new identity with no name (just the email address) was properly used as I described. Did you try those steps?

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 05:33 AM   #10
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I did not really try your suggestion because i was afraid i would loose my present email address and that would be bad because i have all contacts set to my present address. if i followed your suggestion would i lose my present address? thanks for your help
Old 3 May 2018, 09:34 AM   #11
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Bill I got up enough nerve to try your suggestion.
now some of my emails still have my first name in front of my address and some don't
Old 3 May 2018, 12:36 PM   #12
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Change the name in top section. I have all mt email addresses set to Terry as the sending name and it works really well the other end.

Last edited by Terry : 4 May 2018 at 06:49 AM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2018, 09:59 PM   #13
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Terry for your response I appreciate all responders