EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Aug 2018, 03:18 AM   #31
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
I set MX Records to FM and created Alias's

he MX servers for your domain are set correctly: your email is hosted at FastMail. Add aliases or users at your domain for the addresses you wish to use.

Yet nothing happens
Make sure you have a wildcard alias for your domain that delivers to your Inbox. Temporarily disable any Delete Rules you may have. Do an email search for the address used in the test emails sent. Maybe, the messages are not being delivered to the Folder you expect. Also, check the Spam folder.

Recognize that if you are sending from an email service that previously was set up to receive emails from the domain, it is possible that the email service may still be delivering the messages locally, disregarding MX records.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2018, 03:21 AM   #32
chickadee

Bill, the following is what I wrote to ZoneEdit support:

"I use ZoneEdit for DNS hosting for the domain foo.net. When I send email messages to a Gmail address, Gmail discards (does not deliver) my email messages that have the return address <abc@foo.net>. Gmail apparently thinks that messages with that return address are spam and apparently requires DKIM on those email messages for it to deliver the messages.

"Can ZoneEdit add the proper DKIM (and SPF) information to my email messages with the return address <abc@foo.net>? That is, can ZoneEdit show that I have the authority to send messages with that return address?"

Here is the reply from ZoneEdit support:

"I would recommend looking up what information is required for the SPF and DKIM record via Google. You can then add the proper DKIM / SPF record as per whatever Gmail instructs. The SPF/DKIM record will be put into the TXT Record section in your Zoneedit DNS Settings page."

My question to you, Bill, is, "Where in Google (Gmail) would I find the DKIM/SPF information I would need to put on my ZoneEdit settings page?"

Thank you.

Last edited by chickadee : 17 Aug 2018 at 03:23 AM. Reason: correct typo
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2018, 07:38 AM   #33
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Maybe this will help you out chickadee - https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Gmail+DKIM...alemoon&ia=web

- Bruce

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 18 Aug 2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added my name
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2018, 10:28 AM   #34
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Setting up domains with FM with non-FM DNS hosting

If you are not taking my advice (by letting Fastmail host your DNS records after setting your domain NS to point to Fastmail), you need to follow the Fastmail help directions:
https://www.fastmail.com/help/receiv...up-nonsmx.html

That page shows how to set up SPF and DKIM for a domain you wish to use with Fastmail with the DNS records hosted elsewhere.
  • After you follow those directions, messages you send from the Fastmail web interface (or from an email client through the Fastmail SMTP outgoing server) will have DKIM and SPF correctly signed. You must follow the instructions above, which automatically generates the entries you will need to apply in ZoneEdit.
  • Messages you send from non-Fastmail SMTP servers using that domain From address will not be properly signed for DKIM or SPF unless you make additional advanced changes to your DNS records and the sending server.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2018, 02:05 AM   #35
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I am starting all over this is what i have done

my domain
To allow FastMail to host the email for your domain, you need to set the correct DNS records with your registrar. We recommend you set the name servers to:

ns1.messagingengine.com
ns2.messagingengine.com
We will host the DNS for your domain and make sure all the correct entries are set for your email. You can also fully customize your DNS records should you need it.

I have created Alias's

Now if FM instructions are correct I should be in busines without doing any more
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2018, 09:38 AM   #36
chickadee

Bill and somdcomputerguy, thank you both for replying.

I want to send emails with the return address <abc@foo.net> not just from FastMail, but from several other email services, too.

Furthermore,I want to send emails with the return address <abc@foo.net> not only to Gmail, but also to other email services that require a DKIM record. Frankly, I am stumped. Therefore, if anyone in this forum could tell me the proper DKIM record I should put into the TXT Record section on my ZoneEdit settings page, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by chickadee : 18 Aug 2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: corrected typo
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2018, 12:28 PM   #37
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
Bill and somdcomputerguy, thank you both for replying.

I want to send emails with the return address <abc@foo.net> not just from FastMail, but from several other email services, too.

Furthermore,I want to send emails with the return address <abc@foo.net> not only to Gmail, but also to other email services that require a DKIM record. Frankly, I am stumped. Therefore, if anyone in this forum could tell me the proper DKIM record I should put into the TXT Record section on my ZoneEdit settings page, I would appreciate it.
Many email services allow you to use an external SMTP server (in your case, FastMail's servers) when sending as specific addresses. For instance, Google supports this. That is the simplest solution, meaning that there are no complications with SPF and DKIM.

If sending from mail services that do not support external SMTP servers, your SPF and DKIM settings need to combine those used in the simpler case where you only send using a single email service's servers. It is beyond the scope of a forum like this to teach you how to do it. You need to find a good tutorial.
Old 18 Aug 2018, 01:51 PM   #38
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

[quote=sheprd;607440]

you need to set the correct DNS records with your registrar.

Did you do that....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2018, 04:18 PM   #39
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow SPF, DKIM, and DMARC details

Here are a few more comments which might be useful.

The DKIM, SPF, and DMARC mechanisms are being forced on us because if we own <abc@foo.net> we don't want anyone else spoofing us and impersonating us. The key concepts are:
  • The owner of a domain can specify which servers are allowed to send email messages which claim to be from that domain. SPF records for your domain set this up, and you can specify SPF records covering multiple domains.
    • Fastmail makes this easy if you host your DNS with them. They create a SPF record which includes all of their servers.
    • By default the automatically created SPF record allows non-Fastmail servers to be used. The data for this record is:
      Code:
      v=spf1 include:spf.messagingengine.com ?all
    • If you want to force only Fastmail to be used, change this to:
      Code:
      v=spf1 include:spf.messagingengine.com -all
    • You can add more servers which are allowed to send mail for your domain. But to do this you need to know the current set of servers used by the outgoing SMTP you are using to send email. Fastmail makes this easy with the "spf.messagingengine.com" include file. But you may have a hard time keeping track of the complete set of outgoing SMTP servers used by an email service, since these may change without your notice. So the email provider needs to have features (such as the Fastmail include file) you can use to not hard-code the servers in your DNS records.
  • DKIM is a system which uses cryptographic signing so the receiving system can verify that the contents of certain headers and the body of the message were not altered during transport.
    • Fastmail makes this easy for messages for your domain sent through their servers. They automatically create DNS records with multiple keys which are rotated for security reasons (which is recommended for DKIM).
    • The sending server must perform the cryptographic signing, which adds special headers to each message you send.
    • The details on the DNS records needed for DKIM will be different for each email system. You will have to check with the system owner whose SMTP server you are using.
  • DMARC controls how the receiver should treat messages which fail both SPF and DKIM tests at the receiving system. You can specify if messages which fail are discarded or are accepted.
    • DMARC uses a concept of alignment. This means that the From address domain must align (be identical or similar to) with the domain used by the SPF DNS record and DMARC signing.
    • To add a DMARC DNS entry which will reject messages which fail both DKIM and SPF, use a _dmarc.yourdomain.xxx DNS record with data similar to:
      Code:
      v=DMARC1; p=reject
  • In all cases, the SMTP outgoing mail server you use must be set up by the system owner to allow messages from your domain to be sent. For example, Fastmail will only DKIM sign messages sent through their SMTP outgoing server with your domain in the From address if you have the proper account level and set up the domain in their setup screen.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2018, 09:39 PM   #40
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Bill I can use all the help i can get. How i long for the days when a user just used MX records and started using his Domain mail As for now i have typed in my MX records and am waiting for them to Propagate to see if that will work. I have been using domain mail of and on for fifteen years and never had problems before. With all the improvements it is not as easy now
Old 20 Aug 2018, 01:47 AM   #41
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I am starting all over this is what i have done

my domain
To allow FastMail to host the email for your domain, you need to set the correct DNS records with your registrar. We recommend you set the name servers to:

ns1.messagingengine.com
ns2.messagingengine.com
We will host the DNS for your domain and make sure all the correct entries are set for your email. You can also fully customize your DNS records should you need it.

I have created Alias's

Now if FM instructions are correct I should be in busines without doing any more
[quote=Terry;607449]
Quote:

you need to set the correct DNS records with your registrar.

Did you do that....
Quote:
Thanks Bill I can use all the help i can get. How i long for the days when a user just used MX records and started using his Domain mail As for now i have typed in my MX records and am waiting for them to Propagate to see if that will work. I have been using domain mail of and on for fifteen years and never had problems before. With all the improvements it is not as easy now
I’ll hope you typed in your NS-records now as adviced in this thread.
ns1.messagingengine.com
ns2.messagingengine.com
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2018, 02:02 AM   #42
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Berenburger I typed in MX Records Should I have used name servers instead?
Old 20 Aug 2018, 05:14 AM   #43
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Thanks Berenburger I typed in MX Records Should I have used name servers instead?
Yes, reread post #18, #20, #22, #25, #26, #29, #35 (written by yourself), #38.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2018, 07:59 AM   #44
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Berenburger i appreciate all help and responders
Old 20 Aug 2018, 12:29 PM   #45
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

You mentioned earlier that, besides sending email from FastMail, you also want to send from other mail services. Although you should mostly be able to do this with FastMail's default SPF and DKIM settings, these suggest FastMail's servers alone are preferred for sending, and might cause some mail from other servers to be treated as spam by the recipients. The problem is not certain, but you may need to, at least, update the SPF settings in the future if sending from other mail services without using FastMail's SMTP servers.