EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 29 Jul 2009, 04:24 PM   #1
gareth

Contacts - auto whitelist?

My understanding was that any sender in your address book should be automatically whitelisted... I have an alias, in my address book, which was treated as spam today... any idea why that should be? Mail from another address in my addressbook was also treated as spam. Thanks
Gareth
gareth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Jul 2009, 11:02 PM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Yes, both the Whitelist and the Address Book are used for whitelisting checks.

The whitelisting checks against the contents of the messages "From:" field.

If the "From:" of these messages matched an address in your Whitelist or Address Book then we need to take a closer look at the messages to see what might be the issue.

If you could submit a support ticket with the email addresses that were suppose to be whitelisted and a reference to the messages (folder, subject, date), we can check the headers to see if we can determine the issue.

You can submit a support ticket at: https://support.runbox.com

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2009, 10:12 PM   #3
mdembski

If its a newsletter or such, they frequently change their address slightly, one of the problems with saving them as a contact. I regularly get updates from different newsletters and companies, and many have several similar addresses. ALL of them have to be in your contact to ensure they don't get stuck in the spam folder.
mdembski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2009, 11:16 PM   #4
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdembski View Post
If its a newsletter or such, they frequently change their address slightly, one of the problems with saving them as a contact. I regularly get updates from different newsletters and companies, and many have several similar addresses. ALL of them have to be in your contact to ensure they don't get stuck in the spam folder.
Mailing lists, such as YahooGroups, can not usually be Whitelisted. You will usually need to create a filter to handle these.

Please refer to my reply here: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...273#post484273
Old 3 Aug 2009, 04:29 PM   #5
gareth

OK, thanks - I'll submit a ticket if it happens again as I can't remember now which messages were affected!

Thanks
Gareth
Old 3 Aug 2009, 05:18 PM   #6
gareth

Have submitted a ticket - will post the outcome for reference.
Old 3 Aug 2009, 10:19 PM   #7
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
The example you sent does not have the "From:" sender address in your Whitelist or Address Book so it shouldn't be whitelisted.

If you get another example please feel free to send it so we can check it.

Just a reminder, please do not change your Whitelist or Address Book when you send us a candidate message until after we have a chance to evaluate the message.

Regards,
Rich
Old 4 Aug 2009, 01:25 PM   #8
gareth

<deleted> - see below...

Last edited by gareth : 4 Aug 2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 01:48 PM   #9
gareth

Spam-beating solution...

I have just remembered how I set this up before (I probably undid it inadvertently while spring cleaning!):

If I include my main account address in my address book, lots of spam is whitelisted. So, to avoid this, I have created an alias and had mistakenly assumed that this would be recognised as such for 'ham delivery' purposes but since the from address (i.e. the main account address if you're sending messages to yourself) is checked for whitelist purposes and *isn't* in the address book, one way to guarantee delivery (..?) is to create a filter so that anything *addressed* to your_alias[at]runbox.com is sent to your inbox, bypassing spam filtering altogether. Runbox spamfilters run at level -1 and -2 so setting your custom filter at level -99 (highest possible priority) should do the trick.

The next trick is never to use your alias address for anything else!

[edit] - for more info:
http://doc.runbox.com/twiki/bin/view/RunboxHelp/Filter
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...threadid=34629

Hope that helps someone.
Gareth