EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 2 Jun 2014, 09:29 PM   #1
CyberSmurf

Zworg deleting accounts

In another thread we discussed how POP for Zworg.com has not been working since March 27th.

I've been waiting for pop to return, and just logging into webmail once a month.
I did my last monthly login on May 1st. I tried to log in today on June 2nd, but I get a "Unknown e-mail address" message.

That's for two accounts. I still have a third that I logged in frequently to check if my test messages were getting through. Not much sense in keeping it now, it's the one that didn't have mail archived.

if you still want to keep your Zworg.com account, make sure you log in at least every 30 days.
(My test mail sent on May 30th to my zworg accounts didn't bounce, todays message did for the deleted account).
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Jun 2014, 12:02 AM   #2
communicant
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSmurf View Post
In another thread...if you still want to keep your Zworg.com account, make sure you log in at least every 30 days.
(My test mail sent on May 30th to my zworg accounts didn't bounce, todays message did for the deleted account).
There is clearly something going very wrong at Zworg.com in a number of ways. With that said, their inactivity period is supposed to be ninety days. Is there any other possible reason why you are unable to access those two accounts? Are you sure it is because you did not log in for more than thirty days?
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2014, 09:33 AM   #3
CyberSmurf

Not logging in for 30 days is the only reason that I can think of.

[text deleted]

addendum: okay I found the 90 days
Quote:
user accounts that are not accessed [...] at least once every three months thereafter will be terminated.
http://www.zworg.com/tos.php

Last edited by CyberSmurf : 7 Jul 2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: add "at" in quoted text
Old 4 Jun 2014, 10:47 PM   #4
north

zworg is dead!

see the experience i made with zworg (search my posts).
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jun 2014, 06:11 AM   #5
communicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
zworg is dead!

see the experience i made with zworg (search my posts).
Zworg.com has clearly gone downhill badly, as your previous posts indicate. Nevertheless, it is not a good choice of words for you to state that 'Zworg is dead', because someone unfamiliar with the current situation might think the service had closed or was totally non-functional. I suppose you meant it was 'dead to you', because you are justifiably angry about your experience. Even so, in the interests of accuracy, this thread should reflect that the service seems to be still functioning. I receive mail there occasionally, and test messages sent to Zworg.com do arrive, so it is not 'dead'. I do agree that the owner is behaving in a way that is not good, and I would no longer recommend the service. For those with current accounts, however, it is still functional. That is not a recommendation, just a nod toward literal accuracy.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 07:45 PM   #6
north

@communicant: ok.
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2014, 01:30 AM   #7
communicant

Zworg.com Is Shutting Down On August 31, 2014

Today the following notice appeared on the Zworg.com home page:

NOTICE: Zworg.com and associated domains will be shutdown On Aug 31, 2014. If you have a paying account and wish to have your mail forwarded then contact support@zworg.com.

Those who wish to download any stored mail have six weeks to do so. Users with free accounts should act promptly to inform correspondents of an address change so as not to lose any incoming mail after the shutdown, since no forwarding service is being offered for free accounts.

This has been coming for a while, I imagine, as the service has shown more and more signs of neglect. Nevertheless, and despite the recent difficulties and disappointments, it is still a shame to see another small and independent service leave the scene. Rightly or wrongly, I have always felt more comfortable using this type of provider for "real" email than a corporate behemoth, even though I recognize the potential support and reliability risks that are inherently assumed when using what may well be a one-man operation, or something close to it.

Anyway, Zworg.com will be gone in six weeks. R.I.P.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 06:16 AM   #8
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
Anyway, Zworg.com will be gone in six weeks. R.I.P.
Well.... From the about page:
Quote:
How long will you be around?
Zworg.com has been running smoothly since 1999, and has been growing steadily since then. Late last year we started offering premium accounts at a cost, with a great response. As of March, 2003 we are covering the overheads and are concentrating on improving the service to increase our user base. We do not foresee ever needing to shut down the service.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2014, 11:57 AM   #9
CyberSmurf

I was about to post that my last remaining @zworg.com account has started bouncing test messages 48 days since the last webmail login.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 01:53 PM   #10
petergh
Master of the @

It seems Tom Fishwick, the man behind zworg.com is still around, judging by his recent activity on qnalist.com: http://qnalist.com/user/tom-fishwick/.

I assume this is the Tom Fishwick behind zworg.com because of this: http://qnalist.com/questions/4013272...ata-into-array (check the signature/email address).
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2014, 03:24 PM   #11
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergh View Post
It seems Tom Fishwick, the man behind zworg.com is still around, judging by his recent activity on qnalist.com: http://qnalist.com/user/tom-fishwick/.
I doubt. All messages are from year 2000.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 03:47 PM   #12
petergh
Master of the @

See the first link. It looks like he was last active today.
petergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2014, 08:17 PM   #13
communicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSmurf View Post
I was about to post that my last remaining @zworg.com account has started bouncing test messages 48 days since the last webmail login.
I have successfully sent and received from a Zworg.com account within the last week.
Old 22 Jul 2014, 08:23 PM   #14
communicant

Fishwick may still be around, but even before the recent shutdown announcement that question was essentially moot, given that he has failed to respond to messages, comments, complaints, requests for support and so forth, for over a year now, or perhaps longer. According to posts on this forum, that has been true even for some users who encountered problems with credits for upgrades in connection with paid accounts. Clearly something very odd is going on, but unfortunately it no longer matters.
Old 23 Jul 2014, 12:17 AM   #15
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergh View Post
See the first link. It looks like he was last active today.
Yeah, and tomorrow also. Time is running along.