EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 2 May 2002, 09:15 AM   #16
lux
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
For bussiness I use firstname.lastname@emailservice.com
This just become more and more popular. But I forget to type the "." from time to time...
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2002, 04:24 AM   #17
Stinger

With a surname like mine [Gastinger] I never have problems with someone else using it !! but I still prefer my 3 char. initials as username
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2002, 11:06 AM   #18
DBH

For this forum, I use my first/middle/last name initials, just like with some of my 'whatever' e-mail accounts. For official correspondence and the like, I use <lastname> @ eml.cc ... it's all in your personal preference.

DBH
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2002, 01:42 AM   #19
ReuvenNY

I think harless brings up a very valid and important question about your identity as reflected by your domain/email address.
Obviously, anytime you adopt a free or your ISP’s email address, you are subject to frequent changes, as the Internet world is very fluid. Furthermore, when you use an address like yahoo.com, you may subject yourself to problems like being blocked by some other ISP’s because of Spam and alike.
In my view, the most sensible solution is to register your own domain. I would not use my first/last name in the domain name. There are times when you do not want to reveal your name when you use email. Picking up a domain name that in some way reflect you/your personality/beliefs ECT makes most sense. Also it should be neutral enough so you can use it socially and in business. Now that the .US Top Level Domain is available for registration, your selection of names is so much broader.
Personally, I have registered a domain name in 1996, and am using the same email address since. At this time I am using a fine email service (FastMail.fm), to which my domain is pointing. Needless to say, I can get messages addressed to “anything” at my domain, which gives me a way of using the right address for the appropriate use. Yes, I pay $40 a year, but I get so much in return - along with stability in my “internet identity”- that I consider it a worthwhile investment.
And if ever I have to move my business elsewhere, it’s only changing the pointers of my domain to another email service...
Best of luck harless, you seem like a fine young thinking man (or a woman?)

Reuven
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2002, 01:44 AM   #20
denverharless
Cornerstone of the Community

I find this interesting. I personally don't like using my whole name, first and last, because it seems long. When I was in college, the computer center assigned me a username that was my lastname+first initial. That seemed very common back then, but now it seems that most people want to put their first initial in front. I don't like that because my first initial is c, and charless looks too much like Charles, and that is not my name.

I would probably use just my last name more, but I am afraid that it would collect more spam, even though it isn't really all that common.
denverharless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2002, 01:47 AM   #21
denverharless

Thanks for the compliment, ReuvenNY!
Old 6 May 2002, 07:14 PM   #22
redmyrlin
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by harless
I find this interesting. I personally don't like using my whole name, first and last, because it seems long. ....now it seems that most people want to put their first initial in front.
Apart from an extensive use of nicknames (mostly some combination of colour+raptor, eg redmyrlin) I almost always either use simply my firstname or the combination fs_surname, where f is my first initial and s my second.
Anyone else use "_" ?
redmyrlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2002, 07:58 PM   #23
psalzer

I don't think I'd use an underscore. I was just adding some names to a mailing list. These names are collected from a list which is available to sign-up offline - on paper of all things. Anyway, there was one with an underscore. The person wrote out the address and then felt the need to include a note saying that the line was an underscore, so I figure he has trouble communicating his e-mail address to people. Mostly that doesn't come up, but when it does it's an added complication.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2002, 08:21 PM   #24
munchkin

I either use nicknames or first initial + lastname. I don't think I'd use an hyphen or underscore for the same reasons psalzer mentioned.
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2002, 04:16 AM   #25
lux
The "e" in e-mail

Just notice that munchkin has became the "Cornerstone of the Community". Congratulations!!
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2002, 04:27 AM   #26
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
Get your own domain. That way you can have as many identities as you like! It costs $8.95 to get a domain from www.godaddy.com, and forwarding through www.zoneedit.com or www.mydomain.com is free.
Yes, but the problem is, you can't use all those identities to send from all those addresses using fastmail.fm unless you're an enhanced member.

Just today, I added another identity for an organization called Ryze.org . I just added another email address, ryze@?????.com to communicate with other ryze.org members. As you can see, it's quite easy to have multiple email addresses for many purposes which can greatly exceed the number 8.
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2002, 05:26 AM   #27
Kyle Babich

I have it setup so I have a friends address (firstinitiallastname@domain), one for newsletters and services username@username.domain (using the subdomains feature), my isp address for contact with my isp, and hostmaster@username.domain for the whois database so I know if anyone is taking my info from the whois and spamming it.
Kyle Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2002, 05:33 AM   #28
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Babich
I have it setup so I have a friends address (firstinitiallastname@domain), one for newsletters and services username@username.domain (using the subdomains feature), my isp address for contact with my isp, and hostmaster@username.domain for the whois database so I know if anyone is taking my info from the whois and spamming it.
Exactly, hence the reason why there can be so many email addresses. I use the the above procedure frequently and it's easy to remove them at any time if there's a problem.
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2002, 10:04 AM   #29
Janet

I have. (at last count) 10 email addresses that I use for different purposes. Some are site specific addresses, I have one for e-Bay, one that subscribes to news services. One for use on a MajorDomo mailing list.

I keep a spreadsheet on my desktop that has them all listed, along with where I have been using each address. I used one address to register for this forum. That fact is noted on my spreadsheet. If I start recieving a bunch of spam at that address, I'll know it came from here.

As for "What does the domain name in an email address say about a person." If somebody gives me a hotmail address, I usually think that this is a "technologically challenged" person. even more so if they have an MSN.com address.

Or a hotmail address can mean that they think so little of me that they've given me one of their "Disposable" addresses.

Sometimes domain names can be fasionable items. I know somebody with an NPR.org address. I don't know if they got it as a premium by donating to their local NPR radio station's pledge drive, I know they don't work in radio.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2002, 12:40 AM   #30
denverharless

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Babich
I have . . . username@username.domain (using the subdomains feature), my isp address for contact with my isp, and hostmaster@username.domain for the whois database so I know if anyone is taking my info from the whois and spamming it.
The thing about using the username as subdomain feature (e.g. at fastmail) that I don't like is that a resourceful person will still figure out your main email address. What are the chances that such an address could result in spam to your username@domain address? Maybe spammers aren't that resourceful.