EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Nov 2015, 09:50 PM   #1
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

"New" FM Web Interface: Feature Requests

After finally shifting over to the New Interface (years after it was released, I know) from Classic, I have a few polite recommendations for the FM staff:

1) Please bring back message options like Request Read Receipt and Priority=High/Normal/Low. Occasionally I like to send a High Priority email, as this is flagged visually to the recipient in many email systems.

As for Request Read Receipt: even though most email systems ignore this for security reasons, some don't. When I set the flag when sending from my desktop client, I occasionally get such read-receipts emailed back to me, giving me an occasional glimpse that my email was received and opened. I currently have 1 or 2 regular and important email contacts whose email systems honor that flag and send me receipts that give me helpful correspondence timing clues.

2) Would it be possible to return the "Report Non-Spam" button/selection (assuming doing so helps improve anti-spam learning)? I don't use the Spam folder for incoming spam, since I have all email arrive in my Inbox, with spam-flagged email noted/pre-pended in the subject line. I definitely click Report Spam as needed, but reporting ham would be a great option too, as I'd been doing daily for years in Classic.

3) When I hit Reply, if the email address the sender sent to isn't 1 of my personalities, it gets ignored and my default (I think) personality is selected as the outgoing From address. I wish it worked liked in Classic, where the new From address was automatically populated from the original email being replied to.

4) Insert Note on Compose screen? I don't see a link or keyboard shortcut.

Summarizing all of the above... Maybe add a "Show Advanced Features" checkbox in Settings to allow us power/Classic users to break free from the simplified experience of New and have at our fingertips the lesser-used features from the days of yore?

A part of me feels like I should continue with Classic. Another part of me wants to feel shepherded into the New UI, but misses the exclusive features of Classic. What should I do?

Cheers,

-DG
DumbGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Nov 2015, 01:45 AM   #2
fastfast

I had thought of making a post summarizing all the requests for features that existed in the classic interface, but maybe we can just use this post as a cental location with everyone adding their own.

5) Make it possible to switch between html and text view on an individual email.
fastfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2015, 06:46 AM   #3
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Also add a "source edit" function, allowing either inserting html code, or perhaps something compatible with the popular "mark down" code.
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2015, 06:50 AM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

7) Detach attached messages/Save copy of attached messages.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2015, 07:46 AM   #5
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

8) Allow multiple emails to be selected and forwarded as attachments in a single email.

9) Here's an idea - add a button on each interface that allows the user to swap to the alternative interface.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2015, 09:10 AM   #6
neilj
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Thanks for the feedback; we are always interested in learning why the remaining users are still on classic. A few quick comments on some requests that are already available:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbGuy View Post
2) Would it be possible to return the "Report Non-Spam" button/selection (assuming doing so helps improve anti-spam learning)?
If you Archive messages we automatically learn them as non-spam. Alternatively, you can always setup auto-learning on a folder if you move them elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbGuy View Post
3) When I hit Reply, if the email address the sender sent to isn't 1 of my personalities, it gets ignored and my default (I think) personality is selected as the outgoing From address. I wish it worked liked in Classic, where the new From address was automatically populated from the original email being replied to.
If you have a *@thedomain.com personality that matches, this will automatically be selected with the email address set to the one the message was sent to.

Neil.
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2015, 04:47 PM   #7
KevinS

saved searches

Saved searches used to be in a consistently convenient location, above the folder list. The new interface sticks them below the folder list, which varies in height and can be a very large list. I can't think of a worse place to put them.

I am sure there are limits to where they can be placed. I would like to see them available as part of the search box when clicked on, such as where Advanced search... appears. Put the saved searches below the Advanced search... link.

-Kevin
KevinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2015, 06:43 PM   #8
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
Saved searches used to be in a consistently convenient location, above the folder list. The new interface sticks them below the folder list, which varies in height and can be a very large list. I can't think of a worse place to put them.

I am sure there are limits to where they can be placed. I would like to see them available as part of the search box when clicked on, such as where Advanced search... appears. Put the saved searches below the Advanced search... link.

-Kevin
+1 Put the saved searches below the Advanced search... link

That is a really good, logical design idea
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2015, 08:58 PM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Easily find saved searches using g keyboard shortcut

Quote:
...The new interface sticks them below the folder list, which varies in height and can be a very large list...
Only global saved searches (across all folders) appear at the end of the folder tree. Saved searches appear inside the folder they act on.

You can quickly find saved searches just as you can find a folder, using the g keyboard shortcut. I name all saved shortcuts starting with !, so I can find all saved searches using the g! keyboard shortcut, and searches for To addresses using g!to.

Bill
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2015, 09:09 PM   #10
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

Thanks for your comments, Neil.

Unfortunately, the auto-learning as ham doesn't work with my use-case. While I read and send emails from the web UI throughout the day, I also POP my Inbox down to my local client a couple times daily (where I have 50-100 filters in place to move my email into long-term local folder storage). So, nightly auto-learning of ham in my FM Inbox won't work.

However, your idea triggered a workaround that I just set up and I think will work... For years I've had FM configured to save a copy of all incoming and outgoing messages (even local client/SMTP emails) to a separate folder within FM, to serve as an online backup. I've had auto-purge set to 365 days on that folder, so that means I always have the last year of emails accessible to me when traveling. Anyhow, I just added the auto-learn-ham option in that folder. I just have to remember to click Report Spam in that folder too, right after I do so in the Inbox, a step I'm willing to undertake since I get very little spam to begin with.

As for the *@thedomain.com idea.... Hmm, I'm not seeing it work with my current setup of "*@+.+" being one of my personalities. Maybe I need to add more personalities, specifying my domains explicitly.

I'm glad to see everyone's making the most of this thread and consolidating their various New UI enhancement requests.
Old 18 Nov 2015, 10:59 PM   #11
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj View Post
we are always interested in learning why the remaining users are still on classic.
Here are my reasons, FWIW:
1. I feel no need to use the latest version of anything, unless there are clear advantages in switching. See below.
2. New interface offers threaded (conversation) view which I detest, so I'd have it switched off anyway.
3. New interface is apparently faster, With my account (roughly 3000 messages in some 30 folders) my hardware and my internet connection I see no difference in speed.
4. New interface offers instant notification of new messages. Point taken: there is no equivalent in classic. But I can live without it, and refresh the screen manually when I feel the need.
5. New interface doesn't offer "detach message"
6. New interface's "*@thedomain.com personality" hack for using other sending addresses is ugly beyond belief..
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2015, 11:10 PM   #12
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Here are my reasons, FWIW:
1. I feel no need to use the latest version of anything, unless there are clear advantages in switching. See below.
2. New interface offers threaded (conversation) view which I detest, so I'd have it switched off anyway.
3. New interface is apparently faster, With my account (roughly 3000 messages in some 30 folders) my hardware and my internet connection I see no difference in speed.
4. New interface offers instant notification of new messages. Point taken: there is no equivalent in classic. But I can live without it, and refresh the screen manually when I feel the need.
5. New interface doesn't offer "detach message"
6. New interface's "*@thedomain.com personality" hack for using other sending addresses is ugly beyond belief..
I'm in the same boat as you with 1,2,4,6. 3 & 5 don't seem to affect me either way.
Old 19 Nov 2015, 12:33 AM   #13
KevinS

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Only global saved searches (across all folders) appear at the end of the folder tree. Saved searches appear inside the folder they act on.

You can quickly find saved searches just as you can find a folder, using the g keyboard shortcut. I name all saved shortcuts starting with !, so I can find all saved searches using the g! keyboard shortcut, and searches for To addresses using g!to.

Bill
Yes. I was referring to global saved searches. Sorry for not being more precise.

Regardless of the keyboard shortcut it would seem to be a logical place to have the global saved searches in a consistent location, such as a selection in the drop-down from clicking on the search box.

Maybe the search box is not the best place to place these. My point was contrasting the difference between the two interfaces and a suggestion for better placement. That is what I would like a comment on.

(Keyboard shortcuts are not so convenient with the mobile interface, at least on many devices without a dedicated keyboard.)
KevinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2015, 11:53 AM   #14
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
...(Keyboard shortcuts are not so convenient with the mobile interface, at least on many devices without a dedicated keyboard.)
I agree with you. I often use an iPad (version 3) with an Apple Bluetooth keyboard - that's what I'm using to make this post. Unfortunately, iOS has been missing some feature which was required for keyboard shortcuts to work. If I remember correctly, this was due to there being no way for the Fastmail app (or webmail) to detect a keypress on the keyboard unless a text entry box was active. I hope that Fastmail finds a way around this or Apple adds the appropriate iOS feature. I really miss keyboard shortcuts when using my Bluetooth keyboard with the iPad!

Bill
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2015, 08:15 PM   #15
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

2 more things I miss from Classic that I don't see in the New UI on Mobile, but that would be helpful to have:

* Basic header information on emails. (I can't seem to set the Classic theme on New UI Mobile, which might show the basic headers.) It's important to me to see the To: address in full. Maybe add a clickable/tappable link like on New UI Desktop?

* Message index in Classic seems to show the full subject line.

I'm gonna switch back to using Classic primarily on my mobile. (I'll keep trying to acclimate to New UI on my desktop though.) I really hope the FM team continues to support Classic for a long time to come!

Thanks.

-DG