EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Sep 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
JamieKitson

Sorry, our server seems to have failed.

UPDATE: I should have followed the instructions before posting, the status page confirms that there is an issue.

http://status.fastmail.fm/

Hi,

visiting FastMail today I get the following message and cannot read my mail.

Quote:
Sorry, our server seems to have failed. Your recent actions may not have successfully completed. If you encounter problems, try reloading the page. If you still have issues, check our status page or contact support. Apologies for the inconvenience.
I was expecting other people to be having the same issue, but that lack of posts here suggests not. I get this on IE, Firefox and Chrome, I've tried clearing my cookies... what now?

Thanks, Jamie

Last edited by JamieKitson : 17 Sep 2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: status page
JamieKitson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Sep 2013, 07:33 PM   #2
jerrycable

It affected me too - appears to be coming back up now, although it was a little slow at first. Update to status website indicates a software update was applied, but no root cause indicated.
jerrycable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2013, 07:58 PM   #3
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Yeah, sorry about that

The root cause was that a software update was applied, but it was broken. The environment we used to build our software for deployment had ended up with newer versions of key system libraries than what we have in production, so when we rolled out a new Cyrus build, it failed to start because it couldn't find those newer library versions.

The solution of course is to rebuild Cyrus on the older library versions, but the build environment was broken and couldn't easily be reconstructed. We pulled an older build from backup to get the servers running again. That's the "software update" referred to in the status message.

I've just now finished recreating the build environment so we can rebuild the package we actually wanted to roll out in the first place, correctly this time! And then I'll be spending some time this evening adding some more checks to our deploy process to make sure this doesn't happen again.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2013, 02:27 AM   #4
vivil
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
Yeah, sorry about that
good behaviour (you done) is to warn us. this is the more important IMHO.
vivil is offline   Reply With Quote