EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Jul 2017, 09:19 PM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

FastMail App - full or restricted access?

I have been using Aqua Mail Pro on my Android smartphone for some time now, and am quite satisfied with the configuration options available.

I may consider using the FastMail app, but I have questions about the available access to my FastMail account - does the app give full access to the account, in not only can it send e-mails, but it can also do everything that one could configure on the web version?

For example: create/delete users, aliases, calendars, contacts, etc.

Personally, I would not want to use the app if it did - I would just want it to receive/send e-mails - nothing else.

Some people may want to be able to access all options on an app on their smartphone, but I am most certainly not one of them.

Is the app configurable to disable access to the examples above?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Jul 2017, 02:18 AM   #2
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Unhappy

yeah, you can access most of your account it seems.....
I haven't noticed a way to disable them because you use your main password and not a app. PW...
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2017, 04:10 AM   #3
jhollington
Essential Contributor

The short answer is that the FastMail app pretty much lets you do anything you can do from the web interface, since in many ways it's basically just calling the web interface in a mobile-friendly format.

So once logged in, you can change almost anything, with the exception of the information under Password & Security — as with the web interface, you'll need to enter your password to access the settings in that particular section.

I know that Bron from the FastMail team mentioned a few months ago that they're talking about not only adding similar restrictions to other sensitive sections like Aliases and Domains, but also adding the requirement to re-authenticate with a second factor to access certain sensitive areas. That hasn't happened yet, but I'm hoping this is one of the things that will come now that FastMail doesn't have to deal with maintaining the classic interface anymore.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2017, 07:02 AM   #4
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

I used to have a cell phone, and I used to use the Fastmail app. I recall there not being access to the 'Files' section. This could be just another fragment of my imagination/memory though..

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2017, 08:07 AM   #5
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by somdcomputerguy View Post
I used to have a cell phone, and I used to use the Fastmail app. I recall there not being access to the 'Files' section. This could be just another fragment of my imagination/memory though..
No, you're right... it didn't used to be there, but the good news is that it's there now — at least on iOS. I'm not sure when it changed, as I don't use the FastMail app as my primary app — I mostly just keep it around for accessing settings.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2017, 08:18 AM   #6
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
No, you're right... it didn't used to be there, but the good news is that it's there now — at least on iOS.
I had an Android running 'smartphone', so maybe it was always available on the iOS version. Maybe it is available to Android phones now too, I have no idea.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2017, 02:04 PM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The Files area was redesigned about 4 months ago (on both a desktop browser and the mobile app). See:
https://blog.fastmail.com/2017/03/29/faster-files/

Files have been available on the mobile app for a long time. I can't remember if this feature was there when the app was first introduced nearly 3 years ago, but it l has been there for many months. It looks much nicer after the redesign in late March.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote