EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 20 May 2016, 07:07 AM   #31
tellstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssrea View Post
Code:
@-moz-document domain(fastmail.com) {
    html { 
        font: 13px/1.5 sans-serif !important; 
}
I'm entirely new at this. Which file am I altering to insert this change?
tellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 07:27 AM   #32
jssrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellstar View Post
I'm entirely new at this. Which file am I altering to insert this change?
There you go: http://superuser.com/questions/31891...sercontent-css

Another alternative is using an extension such as Stylish (I've been using it for years on Chrome to tweak a couple of things of the FastMail web UI).
jssrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 07:47 AM   #33
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharha
This font looks flimsy and is less readable. Not a fan.
Well im wondering if you could use a custom CSS file and make the font what you want??
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 08:37 AM   #34
glass

For anyone who doesn't want to have to use custom CSS or styling rules, if you're using Chrome or Firefox, the "uBlock Origin" addon can be used to prevent Fastmail from loading webfonts which will make it fall back to using a system-installed font.

Navigate to Fastmail -> Click the uBlock badge -> Click on the "A" in the bottom left-corner of the menu -> The "A" should now have a cross through it and the font should be disabled.
glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 10:29 AM   #35
Mugwhamp
Cornerstone of the Community

Personally, I find the new font to be more readable, though customization options would be nice, as others have mentioned.
Mugwhamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 10:33 AM   #36
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Why do F/m change things which have worked so well for years.

2 clicks to log out, for me that is so stupid when they could have a log out button on the top bar....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 10:45 AM   #37
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
There's now a setting under Mail → General Preferences to use the system font.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 10:53 AM   #38
jpzNFyPRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
Thank you!

Would still like to have the "old way" option back (i.e. exactly how it was yesterday) if we'd like too.
jpzNFyPRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 11:30 AM   #39
ioneja

Quote:
Excellent, thanks robn!
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 12:39 PM   #40
tellstar

Quote:
While I appreciate the option, I would ask Fastmail to please not spring these things on us. I wasted a good two hours trying to get the readability of Fastmail back for me. What seemed like an improvement to you, looked like a programming problem to me because there was no announcement. I couldn't believe that anybody would deliberately choose a scrawny font where the descenders were being cut off by the line of text below it.

Things have been good since the dark days of Opera. Fastmail should let us know what they're up to... and ask us before altering the quality of the user experience.
Old 20 May 2016, 01:37 PM   #41
jpzNFyPRL

Quote:
While I appreciate the option, I would ask Fastmail to please not spring these things on us. I wasted a good two hours trying to get the readability of Fastmail back for me. What seemed like an improvement to you, looked like a programming problem to me because there was no announcement. I couldn't believe that anybody would deliberately choose a scrawny font where the descenders were being cut off by the line of text below it.

Things have been good since the dark days of Opera. Fastmail should let us know what they're up to... and ask us before altering the quality of the user experience.

+10. Absolutely agree.
Old 20 May 2016, 01:44 PM   #42
Mugwhamp

Quote:
I have difficulty imagining any company operating in this way consistently. Certainly research gauging customer opinion should be done in some cases, but it realistically cannot be done in all cases. I'm a head of school, and I cannot fathom going to parents, teachers, students, and the community about each and every change or decision we are going to make. That said, we do inform our stakeholders when we have made or are making a major change, but we certainly cannot do it for every change or adjustment. We do, however, conduct yearly surveys and welcome suggestions, though we cannot and should not act on all of them.
Mugwhamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2016, 02:01 PM   #43
tellstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwhamp View Post
I have difficulty imagining any company operating in this way consistently. Certainly research gauging customer opinion should be done in some cases, but it realistically cannot be done in all cases. I'm a head of school, and I cannot fathom going to parents, teachers, students, and the community about each and every change or decision we are going to make. That said, we do inform our stakeholders when we have made or are making a major change, but we certainly cannot do it for every change or adjustment. We do, however, conduct yearly surveys and welcome suggestions, though we cannot and should not act on all of them.
I have difficulty expecting Google to operate in that way--not a paid service. Changing the font is a huge issue for me as I spend 25% of my working day communicating through e-mail. If the change is invisible and simply improves my user experience, or makes things work faster, then have at it. If it's simply a whim, then ask first.
Old 20 May 2016, 02:49 PM   #44
jpzNFyPRL

Quote:
I have difficulty expecting Google to operate in that way--not a paid service. Changing the font is a huge issue for me as I spend 25% of my working day communicating through e-mail. If the change is invisible and simply improves my user experience, or makes things work faster, then have at it. If it's simply a whim, then ask first.
Completely agree.

And also, let's keep this in perspective everyone.

It's a font. It's simple to offer a couple choices and that's what they should be doing. Offer a few choices so your paying users can suit things to their preferences.

The worst thing about this change was said by Fastmail themselves. They did it to synchronize the font between their website and the mail interface.

It had nothing to do with user testing or typography research - or anything of substance to users. It was a silly concept of syncing up their website and Mail app branding.

Just not how this should work at all.
Old 20 May 2016, 05:25 PM   #45
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Why do F/m change things which have worked so well for years.

2 clicks to log out, for me that is so stupid when they could have a log out button on the top bar....
And 3 clicks to reach my Calendar or Addressbook.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote