EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 7 Nov 2010, 09:57 AM   #16
Sherry

Whoops, spoke to soon. Back down but at least we know they are doing something when it bounces off and on like this.

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2010, 10:02 AM   #17
Shelded

Yeah, I'm OK when my car does this, no problem.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2010, 10:12 AM   #18
jerrycable

I'm back up too (USA). But based on previous comments, I guess I'll wait a little bit before doing anything substantial with e-mail.
jerrycable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2010, 10:15 AM   #19
Sherry

Yes, everything is back up, at least for now. The Status Blog isn't updated yet. When it's up totally they usually let us know it's fixed and what was wrong so I'll wait for that...

Sherry
Old 7 Nov 2010, 10:33 AM   #20
ozar

It's working really well (and fast) at the moment... sure hope it stays that way!
ozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Nov 2010, 10:34 AM   #21
Shelded

yeah, I like it without all the other people in the pool!
Old 7 Nov 2010, 10:37 AM   #22
Sherry

I just logged into a few different accounts and, like ozar said, they loaded faster than normal. Even the Guest account which usually loads slower than the rest. Do the rest of you notice a difference in speed?

Sherry

EDIT: And Bron did post to the Status Blog awhile ago...
Old 7 Nov 2010, 11:23 AM   #23
Shelded

Quote:
Everything is up and running again. One machine broke down and went crazy flooding the internal network with traffic! What a mess. Once we figured out the offending machine and unplugged it we were fine.
Hey, Bron's explanation sounds like when Ash malfunctioned! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipfcH1fxCg4
Old 7 Nov 2010, 09:16 PM   #24
CyberSaint
Essential Contributor

I love the functionality of Fastmail, but this kind of sudden outage (again) is what makes me think of jumping ship to another email host. Are there hopes of things getting better and a little more reliable with Opera as the new owner?

I'm not wanting to bash Fastmail at all, I just need reliability in whoever provides my business email service.

Comments?

Thanks,
CS
CyberSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 12:23 AM   #25
Shelded

Don't expect even Gmail to have better reliability. I've not heard of MSN being down recently, but they seem less forthcoming about their shortcomings than Gmail and none of the big three are as honest about them as Fastmail. These short outages by Fastmail seem truly competitive to me.
Old 8 Nov 2010, 12:57 AM   #26
Tom Gallagher

I think they all have outages once in a while.
Tom Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 01:33 AM   #27
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I have been very happy with Fastmail's robustness for a couple of years up until recently. It is disappointing that they have slipped a bit in the last month or two. That said, I feel very comfortable with their ability to react quickly and avoid really long outages. If anyone has good ideas on a more robust alternative, I might consider it, but I am not aware of any.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 01:52 AM   #28
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
Don't expect even Gmail to have better reliability. I've not heard of MSN being down recently, but they seem less forthcoming about their shortcomings than Gmail and none of the big three are as honest about them as Fastmail. These short outages by Fastmail seem truly competitive to me.
I don't agree with this reliability assessment based on my personal experience. Maybe there are message delays behind the scenes that I'm not aware of, but I don't recall ever not being able to access my Gmail. I don't recall ever experiencing at outage with Tuffmail (I believe that it may have had a brief one a year or so ago, but I'm not sure and I didn't experience it) nor have I ever experienced an outage with LuxSci -- using it many times a day for several years. PolarisMail is reported to have a 100% uptime as well. The only outages that I have personally experienced are with my accounts at FM, Hotmail, and Yahoo! Mail. (Oh, and I just remembered: frequent outages with my company's Exchange Server). Maybe it's just one person's experience, since outages can involve only a subset of users, but I see a distinct difference in reliability.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 02:44 AM   #29
Adon

I can't understand the problem here, email is not designed for urgent messaging (that's what phones are for), what disaster can there possibly be if you can't access your mail for an hour or a few. First it happens so rarely and even if it does happen, it's even less likely you will be affected since it can happen at the time when you sleep or simply do not access your mailbox, second if you need something important delivered/replied to fast, you really should use the phone.
Adon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2010, 03:56 AM   #30
William9
The "e" in e-mail

It depends: Some of us rely on timely and reliable e-mail communications more than others.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote