EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 8 Jun 2007, 12:55 AM   #1
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Scheduled maintenance 08.06.2007

We will have a few minutes' downtime Friday 08.06.2007 around 10 AM CET to upgrade the main database server.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Jun 2007, 04:43 PM   #2
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
The upgrade is taking a little longer than expected, but we hope to be back online shortly...

- Geir
Old 8 Jun 2007, 06:12 PM   #3
artN

Any chance it will work today ? I am 1.5 hrs without email service in peak business hours CET time. It does not seems like few minutes interruption.....is it more serious problem ?
artN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2007, 06:14 PM   #4
voxson

Unfortunate choice to schedule the upgrade during peak european business hours.

Late night US and early morning Europe (like 4-5 am) would be much more reasonable. And maybe even on a weekend.
voxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2007, 06:28 PM   #5
pitsie

This is starting to hurt...

Question, how can you advertise "Professional email hosting services for your company or organization" and then do scheduled maintenance at peak european business hours?

Server failure is one thing, sh*t happens, but scheduled maintenance? Come on....
pitsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2007, 06:41 PM   #6
oddhs

"Unfortunate choice to schedule the upgrade during peak european business hours"

Indeed, that does seem unprofessional. Even at the small firm I work we know better than to do maintenance during the time our customers are most busy.
oddhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2007, 06:49 PM   #7
Rizlam

Yesterday I had to renew my account and I decided to renew for 3 years as we haven't had many problems recently! Sod's law...
Rizlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2007, 06:53 PM   #8
artN

Strange. Nobody from Runbox is here.....probably they have nothing to say
Old 8 Jun 2007, 06:59 PM   #9
itsme

Quote:
Originally Posted by artN View Post
Strange. Nobody from Runbox is here.....probably they have nothing to say
I would assume they have something better to do, like fix the problem. As another poster said: sh* happens. It's always inconvenient somewhere, to someone, worse if a few minute short outage turns into a major hassle.

As said: sh* happens. Live with it.
itsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2007, 07:01 PM   #10
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
We believe we have a fix ready now.

This was supposed to take a few minutes but unforeseen complications unfortunately extended the downtime far beyond what our system administrators imagined.

No matter when we perform upgrades it is peak business hours somewhere in the world, and as we currently depend on the assistance of another company for this type of upgrade we are forced to do it within Norwegian business hours.

- Geir
Old 8 Jun 2007, 07:05 PM   #11
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
We have good reason to believe the fix will work, but to prevent it from happening again in the future we'll need another 10-15 minutes of downtime.

We greatly appreciate your patience a little while longer...

- Geir
Old 8 Jun 2007, 07:08 PM   #12
dgobits

At the company where I work we always test these types of things on a test environment. So then if we tell our users that we expect a downtime of a couple of minutes, we will be pretty sure it will not be more that a couple of minutes.

What strange type of Norwegian company is this that only does critical system support/upgrade during business hours??
dgobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2007, 07:24 PM   #13
puzzler

Messed up!

Ok, if that service is not coming back up soon, this really gets me into trouble and I have to move! It would not have been a problem, if someone would have sent a notification... or 3 notifications: on DATE we are down for 3 hours... nowadays you can redirect mails for a short period of time!

Come on guys, take a serious business guess, how long it will stay down and tell us the truth about what is going on and succeed:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...red40_ceo.html

cheers!
Ralf
puzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2007, 07:26 PM   #14
puzzler

making people angry

Posting @12:05 PM - it will take another 10-15 minutes and then not holding it, is not professional!

Last time we had a real problem, I took the guess from IT and trippled it... still was hours to short with that guess!

Ralf
puzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2007, 07:31 PM   #15
artN

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme View Post
I would assume they have something better to do, like fix the problem. As another poster said: sh* happens. It's always inconvenient somewhere, to someone, worse if a few minute short outage turns into a major hassle.

As said: sh* happens. Live with it.
I just wanted to hear from them what Geir wrote below my message. That's all. Concerning time selected for upgrade, I agree that somewhere and to someone it will be inconvenient in any case but depends how many people it will affect. E.g. all banks do their upgrades during weekends and during night (night time at the location they have most of customers). I guess Runbox has most of cutomers in Europe and USA. But if they cannot find a company which can do what they need to do out of CET business hours, well it's a pity.