EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Aug 2016, 11:56 PM   #196
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwalsh View Post
I'm on Enhanced and can change the account username.
Oh. Perhaps it is just me then that can't do this on my enhanced account.

..to be clear, you can change your username to your own personal domain?
Old 22 Aug 2016, 11:56 PM   #197
fmail_fan

Quote:
I'm on Enhanced and can change the account username.
Are you saying that you can change a FastMail.tld username to a personal domain username, e.g. mydomain.org?
Old 22 Aug 2016, 11:58 PM   #198
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

I was responding to Cyberdyne's post re: changing account username as a security master-reset.

For the reasons in my earlier post I've no burning desire to change the account username to a main email address.

I'd be more inclined to choose a lesser known FastMail domain for login username.

Last edited by pjwalsh : 23 Aug 2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 12:08 AM   #199
randian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awasmuth View Post
Same here, sole reason I switched to the new plan I was never a friend of having another address just for logging in or the need of an additional (master)user account for managing my single user.
Security. If your login address isn't the same as the one you use to send email then your sending email address can't be used to hack your account.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 12:12 AM   #200
placebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Seems like fast mail is strongly positioning themselves towards company email. That's good. That's where the money is. Individuals have limited funds for this. There are a lot of companies wanting email, that don't want Google, or outlook, or open exchange. In that case, is choose fastmail. I'm of the persuasion, however, as an individual user, $40 was a great price point for myself. $50 passes a psychological price point barrier for some reason.
I think much of concern arises because of this perceived focus. I don't think anyone blames FastMail for going where the money is, but at the same time, is FastMail abandoning e-mail for individuals? It could be that FastMail simply overlooked how the new pricing affects families, or it could be that the company is essentially saying it doesn't want this business. If the latter is the case, it's understandable that current family plan customers might feel like their days with FastMail are numbered.

The new pricing scheme doesn't affect me, but it did compel me to see what else is out there in case the situation changes.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 12:35 AM   #201
emoore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I don't anticipate 'feature hold-back' to pressure upgrades from legacy. The jump in mail & file storage is incentive enough (5 to 10GB on Standard).
Not everybody is like you. After 14 years I'm still using less than one quarter of my 1GB quota. If I wasn't willing to manage what mail I save I would have switched email providers a decade ago.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 12:40 AM   #202
awasmuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
I am sure it is not a glitch.
I am pretty sure this is not intentional. You could always change the user name in family accounts as often as you wanted, to me the new plans look function wise like the old family accounts with the masteruser removed from sight. Customizing the log in page was/is also possible with family accounts.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 12:42 AM   #203
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore View Post
Not everybody is like you. After 14 years I'm still using less than one quarter of my 1GB quota. If I wasn't willing to manage what mail I save I would have switched email providers a decade ago.
Same here. I still only use 11% after 10+ years. This increase is no incentive whatsoever to me. However, the new security features are at least a reassurance that FM take security seriously, and the iOS app and web interface are in my opinion faster and easier to use than ever.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 12:43 AM   #204
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I don't anticipate 'feature hold-back' to pressure upgrades from legacy. The jump in mail & file storage is incentive enough (5 to 10GB on Standard).
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoore View Post
Not everybody is like you.
I should hope no one is like me.

I should hope everyone would expect FastMail to depend on the features publicized on the Plans page as reason for upgrades, not less obvious functionality that subsets of existing customers have a need to use and rightfully expect.

Apart from quotas, custom domains and data archiving, there should be no selective withholding of service features.

Last edited by pjwalsh : 23 Aug 2016 at 04:42 AM. Reason: quote for context; 'expect', no withholding
Old 23 Aug 2016, 12:45 AM   #205
awasmuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Security. If your login address isn't the same as the one you use to send email then your sending email address can't be used to hack your account.
Opinions may differ but to me that seems to be more security by obscurity. I am more than happy with the other safety mechanisms FastMail has in place.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 01:10 AM   #206
jssrea

One thing that I've noticed when trying to change my username to an alias under my own domain is that when I click on the the Rename button and type the username (something like "name@mydomain.tld") I get the message "You already have an alias with this email address". Does this mean that I have to delete that alias/identity in order to set it as my username? Doesn't make much sense if you ask me.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 01:14 AM   #207
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssrea View Post
One thing that I've noticed when trying to change my username to an alias under my own domain is that when I click on the the Rename button and type the username (something like "name@mydomain.tld") I get the message "You already have an alias with this email address". Does this mean that I have to delete that alias/identity in order to set it as my username? Doesn't make much sense if you ask me.
Yes, that's right, the alias cannot be in existence at the time you change your ID over to it. Delete the alias first.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 02:02 AM   #208
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Opinions may differ but to me that seems to be more security by obscurity. I am more than happy with the other safety mechanisms FastMail has in place.
Yes, in a sense it is security by obscurity, and so is use of a password. There is actually nothing wrong with security by obscurity as long as one is aware of its weaknesses, and only use it as adjunct to something stronger. In the current security climate, any additional small gains in security are worth having.
Old 23 Aug 2016, 03:19 AM   #209
awasmuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Yes, in a sense it is security by obscurity, and so is use of a password. There is actually nothing wrong with security by obscurity as long as one is aware of its weaknesses, and only use it as adjunct to something stronger. In the current security climate, any additional small gains in security are worth having.
I don't disagree. For me personally it's good enough, though. If an attacker is willing to invest the energy to break the password and overcome the 2 factor authentication then I doubt he will have trouble finding my login address as this is the only thing more or less available in clear text on my devices and application account settings. I give you that you are more protected against brute force attacks were the attacker just assumes the email address he found is the same as the login adress (as this is the case with most other email services), but with the recent additions to secure your account I feel comfortable.

Cheers
Old 23 Aug 2016, 08:43 PM   #210
glass

Quote:
The principle of least privilege is not security through obscurity.

Unless you also consider using an unprivileged user account on a computer instead of the root/administrator account to be security by obscurity, in which case, I hate to tell you, but your opinion is wrong.
Closed Thread