EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Nov 2020, 06:25 AM   #1
IzzyB

iPadOS Scribble - Any Users?

Is there anybody in the group with experience using Apple's iPadOS Scribble hand writing recognition feature in the FastMail iPad application?

I'd be interested in comments on (a) whether it functions technically in the FM app and (b) whether it's real world usable or (with mea culpas to the sensitive) it's just cute, ..and maybe someday.

tia
IzzyB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Dec 2020, 11:25 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Scribble works well with Fastmail using the Apple Pencil

Welcome to the EMD forums! I just noticed your post from a month ago. Sorry for the slow response!

I have an Apple Pencil and an iPad Pro 12.9 (2nd generation) purchased in June 2017. If I enable Scribble mode in Settings>Apple Pencil, it works just as it should with the Fastmail iPad app. I can print or write in cursive in the address fields, subject line, or message body and Scribble does as good a job as you could expect in converting my scribbling into normal plain text.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2020, 04:04 PM   #3
IzzyB

Thanks for the reply.

I like your answer - and it gives me an opening to push my question another step.

Have you ever verified that Scribble actually runs on the tablet?

I'm thinking, you'd shut down the data links and see how Scribble works with no way to contact the mother servers.

It's really a privacy question.

tx
Old 30 Dec 2020, 01:20 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Yes, Scribble runs on the iPad just fine if I go to airplane mode (not connected to the internet). See:
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/09/28...ped-ipados-14/

Text to speech also runs locally. On iPhone 6s or later, and iPad, you can use dictation without being connected to the Internet. Earlier models of iPhone and iPad require an Internet connection. See:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208343

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2021, 12:53 PM   #5
IzzyB

Thanks again for your input.

You've saved me from the triple whammy of: going to infested retail land, talking to the Applekid sales-oids and trying to extract knowledge about FastMail, which Apple is assumably oblivious to.

Props extended.

Now for the expensive part... replacing my gen one iPad Air with a tricked out gen four out iPad Air.