EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 Sep 2019, 08:46 PM   #1
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Option: "apply the Fastmail Data Protection Addendum"

So... Saw this today on the "Billing" page...

What does this mean? Why would, or would I NOT want to check this box?

[] apply the Fastmail Data Protection Addendum

I read the "Data Protection Addendum" but honestly, I don't know how that changes anything from what is done now...

Anyone?

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Sep 2019, 09:02 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

This is just a guess. I suspect the lawyers suggested FastMail include this. I doubt it causes any significant changes to he way FasMail handles your data. However, in the event of EU data protection laws being accidentally breached, FastMail would be at lesser legal jeopardy if you have not ticked that box.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2019, 10:09 PM   #3
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

I would love a confirmation from Fastmail whether the check-box changes anything on their back-end... Or whether that changes whether they inform us of any data breach, etc., etc...
Old 15 Sep 2019, 04:23 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

This feature formally enables a contractual relationship. This only is important to businesses who need to meet the EU privacy regulations. See this about the EU rules (from Wikipedia):
Quote:
... a data protection officer (DPO)—a person with expert knowledge of data protection law and practices—must be designated to assist the controller or processor in monitoring their internal compliance with the Regulation.

A designated DPO can be a current member of staff of a controller or processor, or the role can be outsourced to an external person or agency through a service contract. In any case, the processing body must make sure that there is no conflict of interest in other roles or interests that a DPO may hold. The contact details for the DPO must be published by the processing organisation (for example, in a privacy notice) and registered with the supervisory authority.
Fastmail describes their implantation in a blog post (which I found through the Help):
https://fastmail.blog/2018/05/24/gdpr-is-here/

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Sep 2019, 09:21 PM   #5
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
This feature formally enables a contractual relationship. This only is important to businesses who need to meet the EU privacy regulations. See this about the EU rules (from Wikipedia):

Fastmail describes their implantation in a blog post (which I found through the Help):
https://fastmail.blog/2018/05/24/gdpr-is-here/

Bill
Thanks, Bill!