EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Dec 2008, 08:39 PM   #16
matthewc

There may be something here:

http://www.hawkwings.net/plugins.htm
matthewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2008, 03:21 AM   #17
SamVilde
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnguyen View Post
to be perfectly honest, I hate having something running when I don't need it. I prefer the web interface and ...
100% agree. I downloaded the macbiff program and it works okay for something that was developed 5 OSs ago! Plus it integrates with Growl, which I like. If anyone finds better...
SamVilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jan 2009, 11:57 PM   #18
spiderman
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Fastcheck.org
I've just uploaded a new *beta* version of FastCheck which *should* work on OSX (with Wine): http://www.fastcheck.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10761

If it does work, please send me screenshots!

Eric
spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jan 2009, 08:31 PM   #19
Si1
Cornerstone of the Community

I use Stattoo by Panic. It will check for new mail every minute. It has several other features like checking iCal and displaying what's playing on iTunes etc. I like it because it doesn't get in the way of anything else. It costs $13.
Si1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jan 2009, 08:40 PM   #20
rabarberski
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailonaut View Post
I don't use [Apple] mail, it works not very well with IMAP.
- The annoying "Apple Mail To Do" folder, which will be automatically created (although I tried a lot of things to prevent it),
With both the current and new(beta) interface, you can hide this folder in the webinterface.
To hide it in the beta interface, see the tip 'Permanently hide specific folders' on the css wiki page.
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2013, 04:46 AM   #21
tpl

I've found the Mac Alternative to FastCheck (at least for me)

I've been running FastCheck through Parallels on my Macbook for years. Sometimes, it's the only reason I'm even running Parallels. And although it works well, it does hog resources and occasionally causes reboots. So, after years of FastCheck.org suggesting that a native Mac version of FastCheck would be created for the Mac, I have found the perfect FREE replacement (at least for my needs).

My problem is that all the "IMAP checkers" out there for the mac wouldn't let me check subfolders for new mail. I have several email aliases and have my Fastmail account segregate them according to the recipient name by rule into variously named inboxes.

So over the past few days, I've been using Menu Mail 1.7 by AllocInit. http://allocinit.com/mac-os-x-projects/menumail/
This should not be confused with MenuMail 1.1.2 by quadWorks (from the Mac App Store and elsewhere)

Using the IMAP server settings shown on the Fastmail Help documentation (https://www.fastmail.fm/help/remote_...and_ports.html), in Menu Mail 1.7, I simply created additional accounts for each of my mailboxes, ie. "Inbox.Alias1-In" and "Inbox.Alias2-In". Proper capitalization is important and you don't use quotes when entering. And, I found that it didn't like names with spaces in them, ie. "Inbox.Alias1 In". But that was an easy enough fix. You'll have to know how subfolders work in the IMAP scheme (usually, each level is separate by a . (period)).

Finally, I needed to get my browser (in this case Chrome) to open a new tab pointing to Fastmail.fm when I clicked on the Menu Mail envelope on my menu bar. This is what took a lot of trial and error. Finally, I used Automator (built-in Mac app) to create a shell script to open Chrome to Fastmail as I needed. Automator can help you make your own app. Here is a sample of what my shell script in Automator looked like:
/usr/bin/open -a "/Applications/Google Chrome.app" 'http://www.fastmail.fm/mail/Inbox/?u=1234567bb'
That last part "?u=1234567bb" will change for each user. It is actually the url that will appear in your browser bar after to login to Fastmail and open your inbox. You will have to do a little research on Automator and your particular browser to customize it for you.

A little "how-to" on Automator to create the same "app":
Open Automator.app from your applications folder. It will ask you to choose a type for your document, choose "Application" and press the <Choose> button. Then in the search box, type Run Shell Script and then double-click it. A window will open to the right with the word Cat in it. Delete cat and replace it with my script string above, replacing the ?u= part with your custom code. Hit Control-S to save, call it MailApp.app or whatever and save it in your Applications Folder but be sure to change to file type to "Application" first. To test it, all the location to Menu Mail under Preferences, General tab, Run this App When Clicked. You'll have to experiment and do some Google research to get this working with other browsers.

Best of luck.

-Tim
tpl is offline   Reply With Quote