EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 28 Jul 2006, 03:26 AM   #1
mail2me
Master of the @

Exclamation Switch from cheap Dell to High Quality HP servers

I'm severely affected with this email down for more than 24 hours at this crucial time of relocating back to California.

I think it is time for Runbox to consider switching from cheap Dell to high quality and reliable HP servers. A lot of IT folks have Dell laptops simply because of its price. Everyone of them I know encounter problems after one year. I had my first HP laptop for nearly 5 years without one single problem. This was the reason to stick to HP for my second laptop. Dell is the number one in terms of sales not because of quality but because of its price.
mail2me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Jul 2006, 03:32 AM   #2
Quick

HP good quality in a laptop...man you been rooked.

Toshiba.

Oh yeah, Compaq now that was good, but HP is has and always will suck
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 03:34 AM   #3
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
We use to use HP at work but had a number of problems. We switched to Dell a few years ago and they seem to be more reliable for us so far. It seems that experiences will vary.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 04:07 AM   #4
mik3

We use both where I work, the only difference that I can tell is the support, both are good but address needs differently. Anyway the boxes that give most of the trouble are the HP alpha's just because they are slightly unique (ok to put it in perspective we still reach an average of 99,995% uptime :-)
It would be nice if runbox would be make everything redundant, however that's costly if you're going to remove every single point of failure and I don't want the account prices that high....

edit:
Forgot to mention, yes it sucks not being able to access my e-mail, yes I'm annoyed, I just think changing brands of hardware is just as likely to lead to a solution, as putting my cat in front of a computer and expect him to read my e-mail aloud ;-)
mik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 04:14 AM   #5
zapata
Essential Contributor

Runbox should switch:

a) from Linux to BSD
b) Exim to Posfix
c) DBmail to Cyrus

And finally hire some people who can setup the IMAP server and fix up all the mess ...
zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 04:21 AM   #6
ipeacefrog

"putting my cat in front of a computer and expect him to read my e-mail aloud"

That was good for a laugh.
ipeacefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 04:49 AM   #7
rishi
Essential Contributor

my 2 cents -

Runbox should switch from -

1) Linux to Mac OS

2) Dell to Apple (new 64 bit Merom Processors coming soon)

Apple might be costlier but low on maintenance. I read somewhere on Mac forum that when Linux people encounter 'bugs' it takes ages to resolve that problem. It seems that is the problem Runbox is having with IMAP ?

It might be a costly process and Runbox is a strong advocate for open source software but Macs do have a certain brand value (especially for American customers) and might attract more users.
rishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 05:00 AM   #8
MikhailT

Those things tend to happen more common than you would think. Yes, I know it is quite unacceptable but even my company who needs 24/7 uptime suffer around 10 hours downtime every week and those servers are just a ***** to maintain even if you have the best experts in the world to configure it. Parts are failing all the time, there is no 100% perfect batch from any company. Even HP has problems, IBM and others.

The only reason people dont hear about it is that most big companies who has money, have redundancy and mirroring capability where they can afford to swap out servers in 10 min and nobody will see any difference. Google even had those issues back in the beginning where a lot of people lost emails and stuff.

Dont think its Dell, its just parts are failling all the time. Just be happy that Runbox knows about it immediately and does something about it.
MikhailT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 05:08 AM   #9
ipeacefrog

^^^ What MikhailT said ^^^
ipeacefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 05:26 AM   #10
kraus

increase the account price, if you want, but please provide total backup and redundancy. Lost mails can cost a hell of a lot more than a Runbox account...or even ten accounts!
kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 12:48 PM   #11
Shelded

The OP is so silly it's not worth responding to except that I suppose OP thinks it's serious. I am generally hardware-agnostic. Thinking there is more value in one or another is silly idiocy.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 10:08 PM   #12
stitches4749

CHEAP DELL, I am a dell lover I HATE HPS, worst machine I ever bought!!!!!!!
stitches4749 is offline   Reply With Quote