EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 7 Jun 2016, 10:31 PM   #1
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Outlook.com making changes

You will not have issues until Microsoft upgrades your account to its new look. I have four accounts. I use POP3 on all of them. Yesterday two of those accounts failed to connect.

Code:
 POP3< -ERR Authentication failure: unknown user name or bad password. [Error="ProxyNotAuthenticated" 
AuthResult=0 Proxy=HK2PR01MB0322.apcprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com:1995:SSL]
*** error occurred on authentication
*** Authentication failed.
As part of this change Outlook.com decided to disabled POP access.

So... you have to re-enable it. There is also a server change. The server I used until the change was "pop3.live.com" the new server is "pop-mail.outlook.com" (the "pop3.live.com" still works). I noticed that both IMAP and SMTP servers have also changed. Ports and encryption methods have stayed the same.

Today another of my accounts failed with the same problem. Logging in and re-enabling POP corrected the issue. I decided to change the servers on my last account that is still using the old interface, it works fine with the new severs but I suspect that POP will fail once that account is upgraded, and I will have to logging via the web to "fix" it.

If you using IMAP or the web interface this will probably not affect you.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7 Jun 2016, 10:48 PM   #2
Just Bill

I work for a university that uses Office 365 for mail. I access it on my iPhone and have experienced no issues. I stopped using Outlook.com for my personal email some time ago, opting to use Namecheap Private Email. No regrets.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jun 2016, 06:17 PM   #3
chrisretusn

As I alluded to in my post, this probably only affect those of us who use POP3 to get our messages. I use the Outlook.com App on my Galaxy with no problems.
Old 9 Jun 2016, 07:16 PM   #4
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Is the pop3 and imap option available for everyone? Last I know when they were Hotmail there is no pop3 and imap.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2016, 09:47 PM   #5
chrisretusn

It may depend on location.

I've have had POP3 with my hotmail (outlook.com) accounts for quite some time now (as in years). I also believe IMAP has been available as well. POP3 has to be enabled.

In the new version, at least for me, POP3 and IMAP are options are available. as with the old version (I still have one account that has not switched over yet.) you have to enable POP3 (called POP by Outlook.com). IMAP is enable by default.
Old 15 Jun 2016, 12:22 PM   #6
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Thanks for the info. I have @msn.com and @live.com accounts. Will check on them if these options are available.
Old 15 Jun 2016, 03:10 PM   #7
chrisretusn

I have hotmail.com and live.com accounts.

I took some screen shots of the old version and new version if anyone is interested.

You can find then here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskyirDFS
Old 15 Jun 2016, 07:32 PM   #8
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Thanks for the screenshots. The interface looks different from what I remembered from my accounts. I don't login often. I will check on it later when I am home.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 12:25 PM   #9
NiMa

Yes, I had the same with my hotmail.de address. Now it works again, however I am not amused about the deletion option, especially since hotmails "POP" folder is within the "deleted messages" folder what means that they might not be deleted right away, but sooner or later. I have moved that "POP" folder now out of "deleted messages" and into "inbox" and wonder whether that might prevent them from being deleted until I delete them manually. The first messages that were retrieved through POP after I reset the server changes have not been moved into any folders but remained where they have arrived, in the inbox.
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2016, 02:27 PM   #10
David
Ultimate Contributor

Outlook dot com (for me) is mostly an account I use for the mail that is not important to me ( that I use for whatever is in my immediate profile) - if it went away entirely, it would not be that big of a deal.

I really find it sad, that those folk (who are mostly well off) use these kind of incompetent services (as their main account) - if you pay nothing, you get exactly what you pay for.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2016, 09:23 PM   #11
chrisretusn

My last of four accounts have been converted to the new version. How did I find out? The POP3 failed. Logged in noted the changes, then turned POP back on again. At least it over now.
Old 5 Jul 2016, 11:33 PM   #12
chrisretusn

How ironic... I just received an email from my last account that was upgraded regarding the newly designed Outlook.com. Guess it's better later than never.