EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 Feb 2017, 12:46 PM   #226
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
What I was trying to say, was that hopefully, some of the features in the Classical interface (but not yet in the new one) may one day be resurrected there: before they even die.
yeah me too especially the ones I mentioned above...

Quote:
if the feature of showing the folder numbers (new/total) could be
integrated into the new UI, that would be great....
Quote:
I had a new thought I wanted to add...
I just noticed that the empty link is missing from the trash folder..
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2017, 12:46 PM   #227
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I cannot understand the purpose of phasing out a very popular interface for one that is not as user friendly.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2017, 02:14 PM   #228
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

The back end has trouble running the old classic UI an the current together, if you write a script for one UI it then stuffs up the other one if you are not careful.

Perhaps they should throw them both away and come up with something we would all enjoy using.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2017, 03:32 PM   #229
chickadee

I cannot understand this decision, either, sheprd. The pooh-bahs at FastMail might consider the resulting criticism a "tempest" in a teapot, or "much ado about nothing." I certainly don't. Billy Shakespeare once said to me, "All's well that ends well." I sure hope my good friend was right. But so far this "winter's tale" has been nothing but a "comedy of errors"!
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2017, 01:43 AM   #230
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
I cannot understand this decision, either
Why is it so hard to understand? Very few customers use the Classic UI, and it's time-consuming for them to maintain 2 interfaces.

When they created the new/current UI, they could've immediately pulled the plug on the old one, but instead gave us several years of overlap, of dual support while we each make the transition.

While there are things I'll miss from the old UI, I've taken the time over the last year to migrate myself to the current UI. The only time I now log in to the old UI is when I send an email with a message-read/delivered request. (And FM says they plan to bring that feature over to the current UI soon.)

As has been discussed in this thread, perhaps a good migration path for those seeking an experience similar to the Classic UI, might be to find another webmail provider somewhere (or find a Roundcube server) that has the low-frills low-bandwidth elements of FM's Classic UI, but can also establish IMAP or POP connections to outside email providers, to access your FastMail and read it there.
DumbGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2017, 11:02 AM   #231
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
I cannot understand the purpose of phasing out a very popular interface for one that is not as user friendly.
What data do you have that suggests that the Classic Interface is "very popular", and what about the new interface is not user friendly? From what I've read in the forums, (a select few) people have complained about missing functionality and over simplifying, but I've never heard that the new interface is not user friendly.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2017, 11:10 AM   #232
Grhm
Essential Contributor

It's not friendly to this user.
It refuses to work at all on my device.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2017, 11:21 AM   #233
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
I have five browsers across two PCs, own three phones and a tablet, and FM works well on every one of them. What's your system configuration and what kind of errors are you seeing?
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2017, 11:38 AM   #234
Grhm
Essential Contributor

On my Nokia C2-01, which runs the Symbian operating system,
classic.fastmail.com works fine, but fastmail.com gives this message:
"Sorry, your browser does not support the technologies needed to use our web interface. Please make sure you have the latest version, and that JavaScript is enabled."
Old 15 Feb 2017, 12:13 PM   #235
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
On my Nokia C2-01, which runs the Symbian operating system,
classic.fastmail.com works fine, but fastmail.com gives this message:
"Sorry, your browser does not support the technologies needed to use our web interface. Please make sure you have the latest version, and that JavaScript is enabled."
I make no guarantees that this will help, but it is worth trying the UC Browser to see if that works on your phone and can run the FastMail current interface.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2017, 12:24 PM   #236
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Yes, UC is one of several browsers that I have installed; and no, the new interface doesn't work on it. Thank you for the suggestion, though.
Old 15 Feb 2017, 08:28 PM   #237
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
What other devices do you have? You say "it refuses to work on all your device."

That said, symbian natively sports imap. Given that your is is completely out of support, and you aren't getting updates,and no latest technologies are supported, and the size of your screen, imap would work much better. Seriously, did you regularly access the classical interface on that little tiny screen? Was it *really* possible to use that to read email with the web interface?

Symbian was abandoned in 2014 your platform has not been developed for in 3 years. Fastmail can't possibly keep support for all outdated devices.

Last edited by ChinaLamb : 15 Feb 2017 at 11:54 PM.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2017, 08:56 PM   #238
walpurg

New ASLR-busting JavaScript is about to make drive-by exploits much nastier
If this is as big a deal at it is made out to be in the article, having a non-Javascript interface available may become a selling point again.
walpurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2017, 09:28 PM   #239
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by walpurg View Post
New ASLR-busting JavaScript is about to make drive-by exploits much nastier
If this is as big a deal at it is made out to be in the article, having a non-Javascript interface available may become a selling point again.
Javascript runs just about everything these days. I'm not concerned. Even without javascript there are plenty of exploits that are still nasty. Exploits are found, exploits are patched. This is why I wouldn't use symbian os.it's a dead operating system.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2017, 10:21 PM   #240
jchevali

Successful IT people can be arrogant, and arrogance can make people blind.

If you (the reader) are successful but not arrogant, you have nothing to fear from my comment.

On the other hand, if you reply defensively, as if it was meant for you, it might be an admission of culpability.

Arrogant people do themselves a favour and pretend to ignore this post, lest they'd be found out. Everyone else, move on.
jchevali is offline   Reply With Quote