EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Sep 2017, 11:23 PM   #1
fmail_fan

Help identifying unexpected login attempts

By chance I noticed unexpected logins in my FastMail login log last evening. They were done over three days and were via my IMAP app password. I believe they are from an Android email app I briefly tried and uninstalled on 22-Sep. Checking the IP shows Amazon.com (Ashburn, VA), a common cloud storage service used by many such applications.

The app password was deleted and I'm now back to using the FM app. I've had three failed login attempts from different (Amazon) IPs since last evening. Although the logins are now prevented, is there a way to track down the source of these logins?
fmail_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Sep 2017, 11:47 PM   #2
misc
Essential Contributor

It's possible that the email app you tried uses AWS to pull mails from all your accounts and collets them on it's own cloud. So actually not the app communicates with FastMail but the app's cloud server (hosted at Amazon) does. And the server is probably not aware that you've deleted your app and keeps on checking your mail at FM.

So I guess you should better have removed the FM account inside your mail app before deleting it. Not sure how to solve this. At least you can try installing the app again, then add your FM account and remove it again.

Cheers,
Michael
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2017, 12:20 AM   #3
fmail_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc View Post
It's possible that the email app you tried uses AWS to pull mails from all your accounts and collets them on it's own cloud. So actually not the app communicates with FastMail but the app's cloud server (hosted at Amazon) does. And the server is probably not aware that you've deleted your app and keeps on checking your mail at FM.

So I guess you should better have removed the FM account inside your mail app before deleting it. Not sure how to solve this. At least you can try installing the app again, then add your FM account and remove it again.

Cheers,
Michael
Yes, I agree. It's not the app (uninstalled) or some remnant that was left behind but cloud-to-cloud communication that's doing the logins. They will fail so the security issue is solved. I'm pretty sure of the app causing the issue; I'd just like to find a way to prove it. And I'd prefer not to install it again.
fmail_fan is offline   Reply With Quote