EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 2 May 2017, 05:46 PM   #76
noclue
Cornerstone of the Community

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess you notice when it's time!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 06:25 PM   #77
chickadee

You wrote, "I guess you notice when it's time!"

I don't think you understand. To keep your account open, you do "not" have to log in on a "specific" day every four months. There must simply be "at least one login" every four months. You can log in yourself through the Zoho Mail Web site, or you can have FastMail automatically log in via POP.

Let's say you log in on September 17, 2018. To keep your account open, you or FastMail must log in at least once--on "any" day--within the "next" 120 days. And let's say you or FastMail logs in on November 5, 2018. Then there must be a login within 120 days after November 5 to keep your account open. And so on, and so on, and so on.

If I am not clear, please tell me.
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 06:35 PM   #78
noclue

It's just that you're dealing. with someone who is terribly dense with these matters. I understand perfectly now. You just have to speak in simple language, or maybe like you're speaking to someone who doesn't speak English. That's pretty much my level!

I appreciate your patience. I can be very frustrating, not on purpose, but difficult all the same.
Old 2 May 2017, 09:13 PM   #79
chickadee

Don't be hard on yourself, noclue. I'm far from an expert on email, believe me.

You said that one of your newsletters had already arrived in your Zoho Mail Inbox. So far, so good! Your next step should be simply to wait and see if all of the others arrive there.

In a week or two, you might decide to have your FastMail account automatically retrieve your newsletters from your Zoho Mail account. I'd be glad to help you with that.

(Previously, I wrote that your FastMail account could "POP-fetch" your newsletters from your Zoho Mail account. Just think of POP-fetching as "automatic retrieval" of messages by FastMail.)

Last edited by chickadee : 2 May 2017 at 09:45 PM.
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2017, 04:42 PM   #80
noclue

No matter how much I love Fastmail, I can't tolerate this problem anymore. I have "told" Fastmail every single day for the last two years what is spam, what is commercial email, and what are newsletters. It simply cannot learn anything anymore. Before I can deal with my mail each morning, I have to spend sometimes up to half an hour moving things around to the right folder.

I can't understand. I've been an FM user for almost 15 years, and this inability to put things in the right place has just been going on for two or three years. But I give up. I pay money for FM, and Zoho is free. And it does seem to be able to put stuff into the right folders, too. I love this community; people are always willing to help me. It's just that I can no longer justify paying for something that no longer works.

It's going to be a yuuuuuge problem to change my email address. I do a lot of my work from home, so there will be a massive adjustment period, and I will likely lose touch with several correspondents. I'm just done.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 05:26 PM   #81
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
It's going to be a yuuuuuge problem to change my email address. I do a lot of my work from home, so there will be a massive adjustment period, and I will likely lose touch with several correspondents. I'm just done.
Then it's now the time to buy your domain name to become independent from provider changes.
Berenburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2017, 05:40 PM   #82
noclue

You mean like have a website? I don't do THAT much work from home!
Old 28 Sep 2017, 06:04 PM   #83
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
You mean like have a website? I don't do THAT much work from home!
You can own a domain without having a website. Registering your own domain just means you own your email address, not someone else. I know anything technical frightens you, but buying a domain and telling the domain registrar you want FastMail to manage it is pretty straightforward. That is pretty much all there is to it.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2017, 06:12 PM   #84
noclue

So this registrar is a different person than i reported this issue with?
You are kind to remember my tech phobia. It's just at 71, my learning curvr is a bit over extended?
I can keep my three main email addresses?
Old 28 Sep 2017, 09:20 PM   #85
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
You are kind to remember my tech phobia. It's just at 71, my learning curvr is a bit over extended?
When you get your own domain, you will start using a new email address (say, jane@noclueabouttech.com if you own the domain noclueabouttech.com). You start using this as your primary email address. You can also create further email addresses within the domain if you wish. Mail delivery can (and usually is) to an email account you currently use at your primary mail provider. You continue to keep your old email addresses for as long as they are needed. I usually find a couple of years is enough.

The point about using email addresses of a domain you own is that it can be used with the mail service of your choice. If in the future, you have issues with FastMail, you can transfer management of the domain to another mail service, with no need for your correspondents to even know about the change.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 10:08 PM   #86
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:

Registrar deals with domain ownership only, mainly in the context of trademarks, offensive names etc. This is the person a certain software company would contact double-quick if you registered a domain with "microsoft" in the name. Or even something sounding like "microsoft". An aside: Microsoft vs. MikeRoweSoft

You can keep your three main email addresses only if you keep the account(s) with the current provider(s) open. In other words, if your address is noclueabouttech@fastmail.tld, and you sever all links with Fastmail, that address is gone.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2017, 05:57 PM   #87
noclue

Do I write to the registrar? I'm not sure I know how to go about this, and I don't see how getting a new domain will get FM to deliver my emails to the proper folder.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 06:45 PM   #88
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Do I write to the registrar? I'm not sure I know how to go about this, and I don't see how getting a new domain will get FM to deliver my emails to the proper folder.
I hope Bill looks by to give you precise instructions, but the general procedure is as follows:
  1. You go to one of the big domain registrars online, such as Namecheap (https://www.namecheap.com/)
  2. You check to see which names are available
  3. You choose a name you like, and register it for some period of time, paying by credit card
  4. You use the interface provided by your registrar to specify that the "DNS" should be managed by FastMail. That is, you tell it that you want to use the "nameservers" ns1.messagingengine.com and ns2.messagingengine.com
Following this, you need to add your "custom domain" to your FastMail account. This is quite straightforward. See https://www.fastmail.com/help/receiv...etup-nsmx.html for details.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 09:01 PM   #89
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I don't see how getting a new domain will get FM to deliver my emails to the proper folder.
You are right: new domain has nothing to do with email delivery to folders of your choice.
The registrar won't help you either.

If your only gripe with FM is the "delivery to the right folder" problem then (assuming that you set the rules up correctly) it's up to FM support to sort it out.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 09:06 PM   #90
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
you need to add your "custom domain" to your FastMail account. This is quite straightforward.
This may be straightforward,but is possible only for certain types of FM accounts.