EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 9 Aug 2013, 03:57 AM   #106
squiz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayer View Post
I dont understand all, but i cant not change all without this email. And i need my Passwords (its in the mails in)
You won't be the only one having these issues. I would recommend you get in touch with PayPal, Steam ... and explain the situation. You can then verify your identity to regain access to your accounts. (ex. transaction numbers on Steam, identidy card on PayPal...). Get in touch with their support.
squiz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 03:57 AM   #107
schlocker

Quote:
I have been forced to make a difficult decision: to become complicit in crimes against the American people or walk away from nearly ten years of hard work by shutting down Lavabit.
I feel he made the right decision given those two options, and thank him for fighting instead of bending over to the feds. Strategically he could of done a better job.
schlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 03:58 AM   #108
poma

What a dark day this is.

:(
poma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:01 AM   #109
schlocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
You are, of course, presuming that he has been legally able to post a pre-notice.

You signed up (and paid) for a service that uses privacy as its USP. Rolling over and handing the NSA all data while still pretending everything is ok would be the real scam.
I agree with your last sentence, but if he's going to fight them he might as well buck any prohibition of offering a pre-notice.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:07 AM   #110
Wilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlocker View Post
I agree with your last sentence, but if he's going to fight them he might as well buck any prohibition of offering a pre-notice.
It's difficult to judge at the moment really, we don't know why it suddenly shut down yesterday.

Had he planned the shut down in advance?
Did he try to transfer data away abroad before the hard drives were seized and was unable to?
Did the hard drives get siezed without prior notice?
Or did he finally just snap yesterday and shut everything down?
Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:07 AM   #111
mve

The next question is: Which service to use?

Possible short list from twitter:

posteo.de
fastmail.com
tuffmail.com
neomailbox.com
mykolab.com
runbox.com
1984hosting.com

Ideas?
mve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:13 AM   #112
schlocker

I think a class action lawsuit against the federal government is in order, considering the amount of lost business and revenue this has certainly caused.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:19 AM   #113
cgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mve View Post

posteo.de
fastmail.com
tuffmail.com
neomailbox.com
mykolab.com
runbox.com
1984hosting.com

Ideas?
I've signed up for Neomailbox.
cgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:19 AM   #114
VisitMyHarbour

Let others know

This is disgraceful. Hat's off to the owner, his plight is already on our homepage:

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/

We've used Lavabit for 5 years and loved the service as an alternative to our Company email server. The fact that Ed Snowden used it was an endorsement as far as I'm concerned.

The owner is a man of integrity. We are a British company, we will be pulling ALL our ties with American web companies now.

Already donated $100 to Lavabit now.
VisitMyHarbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:33 AM   #115
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mve View Post

fastmail.com

Ideas?
You meant fastmail.fm?
Another suggestion: Pobox.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:35 AM   #116
stelonix

To everyone saying mean things to Ladar/Lavabit, FYAD. Seriously, I signed up for Lavabit because I trusted them NOT TO GIVE IN to thugs like the NSA. Yes, I'm screwed with my dispute, yes I'll have to switch lots of services which I registered my lavabit address as email. No, I'm not mad at Lavabit, I'm mad because there's a country abusing it's military supremacy in order to make a big brother world.

Thank you Ladar, for taking Lavabit down and fighting for all of us. I wasn't wrong in trusting Lavabit. Will donate as soon as I get my next paycheck.

PS: It sickens me people in this thread are suggesting Ladar should have just caved in for the NSA; you're either shills or part of the problem. Stop being so ****ing egocentric and look at the big picture. The US government is ****ing everyone up and you're here whining about your business.
stelonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:45 AM   #117
bigvld

This is absolutely devestating to me. I have a bunch of job offers which I am expecting replies back via email as well as a number of replies from different colleges. Of course all tied to the lavabit account.

Is there any word if we will have our qeued emails and archived emails made available to us?
bigvld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:46 AM   #118
cgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvld View Post
This is absolutely devestating to me. I have a bunch of job offers which I am expecting replies back via email as well as a number of replies from different colleges. Of course all tied to the lavabit account.

Is there any word if we will have our qeued emails and archived emails made available to us?
I wouldn't bet on it.
cgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:52 AM   #119
bigvld

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgt View Post
I wouldn't bet on it.
That's a real shame. I respect the work lavabit did but its a shame it had to end this way

(and **** the nsa )
bigvld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2013, 05:06 AM   #120
mve

pobox is hosted in the US.
mve is offline   Reply With Quote