EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 May 2020, 01:09 AM   #1
binary

Alternative Fastmail nameservers ?

I'm having a few issues with my domain name registrar. The domain is hosted by Fastmail (using the ns1. and ns2.messagingengine.com nameservers).

I wanted to try updating the nameservers with my registrar (using their control panel) to see if it would actually be actioned.

I note that ns1.fastmail.fm and ns2.fastmail.fm appear to exist, plus there also seems to be fmns1.messagingengine.com and fmns2.messagingengine.com.

I imagine these are aliases of the two main nameservers rather than being unique alternatives.

However, I'm wondering whether anything hideous might go wrong if I were to temporarily use them?
binary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 May 2020, 04:29 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

It can take up to 72 hours for nameserver changes to fully propagate. Not sure what the other FM nameservers are for, but they definitely say to use the ns1 and ns2 messagingengine.com ones. What are you trying to test?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 12:39 PM   #3
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

If you don't know what you're doing, twisting knobs with a production system to see what happens probably won't help and will hurt, a lot. The DNS is an amazing system, but it's not at all forgiving of configuration mistakes or misunderstandings. And most registrar tech support staff don't even understand it.
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2020, 11:41 PM   #4
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary View Post
that ns1.fastmail.fm and ns2.fastmail.fm appear to exist, plus there also seems to be fmns1.messagingengine.com and fmns2.messagingengine.com.

I imagine these are aliases of the two main nameservers rather than being unique alternatives.
They aren't, fmns1 and fmns2 are authoritative for FM's own domains, not for hosted customer domains.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote