EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 13 Apr 2018, 10:47 PM   #1
rscaramelo

email hosting recommendations?

Hi,
I am looking to streamline my email situation. Currently I have a domain with GoDaddy with forwarding of any email at that domain to Gmail. I don't like GoDaddy and would like to transfer the domain somewhere that could host the email. I also am not a fan of Gmail. It does what I need but I just don't care for how it handles things. Nothing specific, just don't like it. I see plenty options with Office but would be ok with something a little different. The main thing is I need to use alias (3-4).

Suggestions? I would like to host and have my email under one roof so to speak.

Thanks,
RC
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Apr 2018, 03:06 AM   #2
ReuvenNY

A lot of people, including myself, use Fastmail.com. It's not free but it can accomplish what you want.
ReuvenNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2018, 03:25 AM   #3
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscaramelo View Post
I would like to host and have my email under one roof
If you transferred your domain to GANDI, in addition to free privacy for each domain registered with them you get 2 mailboxes with 3GB storage each, and with unlimited aliases:

https://www.gandi.net/en/domain/email
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2018, 03:59 AM   #4
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
If you transferred your domain to GANDI, in addition to free privacy for each domain registered with them you get 2 mailboxes with 3GB storage each, and with unlimited aliases:

https://www.gandi.net/en/domain/email
They were on the short list I was looking at. Thanks for the reply.
Old 14 Apr 2018, 04:00 AM   #5
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
A lot of people, including myself, use Fastmail.com. It's not free but it can accomplish what you want.
Don't mind paying. Only issue is I would like to neaten up my setup with having everything in one place - domain and email hosting.
Old 14 Apr 2018, 04:16 AM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

The last time I looked Fastmail did not sell domains.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2018, 04:24 AM   #7
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
The last time I looked Fastmail did not sell domains.
Correct so I am looking more at options like gandi, 1&1, etc. Would like an option where they put some thought and resources into email. I currently have GoDaddy and can't stand them which is why I redirect any email towards Gmail.

One other issue is migrating the old emails. That is a strength with a Fastmail however again they don't sell domains.

Thanks Again
Old 14 Apr 2018, 04:30 AM   #8
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Try runbox.com. They sell domains, at uncompetitive prices but offer a very reasonable message transfer mechanism.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2018, 07:18 AM   #9
TenFour
Master of the @

POBox.com offers domain hosting that isn't super cheap, like $17 a year for a .com, and also email that is almost the same as Fastmail, the parent company. 50GB inbox for I believe $50 per year. Google Domains ($12 a year) can utilize G Suite email for another $5 per month. Some people like Hover for domains and email, but I think they charge extra for aliases, which is silly. Namecheap is a great domain host and their Private email is very simplistic but reliable, and I believe starts at $9.98 a year with a 3GB inbox. I used Private email for awhile and it worked reliably. It is probably more secure to separate domain host and email provider and website host since you then have all your eggs in one basket. If something happens with the company you can lose control over both your domain and your email. With the email hosted by another provider you avoid that issue, but I understand your desire for simplicity.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2018, 10:30 AM   #10
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
POBox.com offers domain hosting that isn't super cheap, like $17 a year for a .com, and also email that is almost the same as Fastmail, the parent company. 50GB inbox for I believe $50 per year. Google Domains ($12 a year) can utilize G Suite email for another $5 per month. Some people like Hover for domains and email, but I think they charge extra for aliases, which is silly. Namecheap is a great domain host and their Private email is very simplistic but reliable, and I believe starts at $9.98 a year with a 3GB inbox. I used Private email for awhile and it worked reliably. It is probably more secure to separate domain host and email provider and website host since you then have all your eggs in one basket. If something happens with the company you can lose control over both your domain and your email. With the email hosted by another provider you avoid that issue, but I understand your desire for simplicity.
What is your setup? I possibly could do the 2 service thing like I have now. I mainly want to get rid of GoDaddy and Google. I need to have my domain directed to my business' Facebook page and I need email with a couple alias'.

Thanks
Old 14 Apr 2018, 10:39 AM   #11
Cory
Essential Contributor

Namecheap is who I recommend for domains! They also offer cheap email services.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2018, 10:56 AM   #12
rscaramelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Namecheap is who I recommend for domains! They also offer cheap email services.
I could use a client but prefer webmail. How is their's ?
Old 14 Apr 2018, 12:03 PM   #13
Cory
Essential Contributor

It's decent its based on https://www.open-xchange.com/
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2018, 11:03 PM   #14
TenFour
Master of the @

I'm currently just forwarding emails from Namesilo to Gmail and then using Gmail to "send as" my various domain addresses. It works pretty well, but has a few limitations. I set the SMTP server as Google's since Namesilo doesn't offer SMTP. The sending limit is 100 emails every 24 hours and if someone wants to dig into the email headers they will see that the actual reply-to address is your Gmail address, but most people won't do that and they see whatever your domain email is in the Inbox: yourname@yourdomain.com. Namesilo email forwarding works great and I have set up multiple addresses that can forward to multiple places. Despite what some people tell you, I have had no problems with forwarding. I was using POBox.com for mail forwarding and sending, with Gmail as my inbox, and that worked pretty well for me. I ran into a few glitches and wasn't 100% happy with the customer service resolving them, but overall I would rate the service as solid. At $20 a year it is a cheap, reliable way to send and receive email from your own domain. For $50 you can get a 50GB inbox and webmail. There are lots of email providers out there. My searches look for three things: reliability, security, price. That rules out a lot of the smaller providers simply because it is hard to determine how reliable and secure they are, and most decent services end up around $50 a year.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 12:31 AM   #15
TenFour
Master of the @

Worth checking out Gandi. They charge more for a domain, around $15.50 for a .com, but that includes 2 email boxes with 3GB of storage each. I have no experience using them for domains or email, but that is an excellent deal for basic domain email.