EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Aug 2016, 03:53 AM   #31
fmail_fan

I finally got my personal folders to sync and it's been running for a day or so now with no issues. To get there I removed all Mail app data on the system, restarted the Mac then configured the FastMail account (using app password and new server names).

Because of the trouble I've had with Mac Mail, which I can't explain, I've decided to stay with the new Web interface, which, although controversial due to the apparent demise of the Classic version, works just fine for me.
fmail_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2018, 07:55 AM   #32
jdmc

Thumbs down Switching to new FM server names in Apple Mail.app was a nightmare

A couple of weeks ago I thought, hey, might as well update to those new "____.fastmail.com" server names from the old "____.messagingengine.com" ones. The result? Instant chaos!!

Even after I laboriously hunted down, identified, and corrected for the app-password-is-now-required problem and the inbox-prefix-is-now-blank problem, Mail.app still couldn't figure everything out. In my multiple levels of nested mail folders and sub-sub-folders, some appeared to make it thru the transition unscathed, while others refused to show any messages whatsoever, even though I could see hundreds of messages inside them when viewing my account via the Web interface. I repeatedly tried using the "Rebuild" command in Mail.app, but to no avail. I ended up having to basically nuke my entire 12+ GB local mail store (in ~/Library/Mail) and completely start over. And let me tell you, it took a pretty good while to re-download twelve gigabytes of mail and attachments.

Good grief, what a HUGE pain in the @ this has been!! Oh, how I wish I'd never flucked around with those infernal server names. MAJOR customer-experience fail.

Signed,
-- Loyal FastMail user since 2002

P.S. - And it's still not over... now I can't get Mail.app to accept the new SMTP server settings. I enter them and save changes, and two seconds later Mail.app marks it as "Offline" and renders it unusable. Super exasperating.

Last edited by jdmc : 18 Feb 2018 at 08:09 AM.
jdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2018, 05:39 PM   #33
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmc View Post
Good grief, what a HUGE pain in the @ this has been!! Oh, how I wish I'd never flucked around with those infernal server names. MAJOR customer-experience fail.
Sorry to heart that - The transition worked perfectly for me, but I don't think this was/is a FastMail issue. I have had many issues with Mac mail.app over the years.

I found that when things like this happen it's easier to completely reset mail as follows:
  1. Quit Apple Mail
  2. Navigate to the following directory and delete the entire folder: ~/Library/Mail
  3. Empty the trash and launch Apple Mail to reconfigure the client with new mail accounts and settings
  4. Factory reset Apple Mail and system settings
  5. Navigate to the following directories and delete only the folders listed below:
    • ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail
    • ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.interaccounts/Data/Library/Application Support/Mai
    • ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book/MailRecents-V4.*
    • ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail*.plist
  6. Empty the trash and launch Apple Mail to reconfigure the client with fresh settings and new account configurations

This deletes all mail etc off your Mac but everything should all just re-sync with your imap accounts again. ...don't do this if you have other pop accounts though.

J.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2018, 09:00 PM   #34
fmail_fan

Ever since my first Mac computer (2008 - long before using FastMail) I've had problems with Mac Mail. After every major Mac system update I would try to configure it, have problems, then end up reverting to using my email provider's web interface. Just about every time it was related to SMTP settings.

Now IMAP/SMTP settings are pretty straightforward once you know what they should be (Fastmail included, old or new ones). If you enter them carefully they should work without issues or the need to troubleshoot them.

I prefer a Mac client so I tried a few and settled on AirMail, a ($10, App Store). It's straightforward to configure and has worked perfectly for me for over a year now.

As an aside, I spent several hours around Christmas trying to get my son's Mac Mail SMTP settings to work. I ended up having to delete the account and recreate it, which finally worked, but is simply unacceptable for a modern, mainstream application.
fmail_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2018, 05:18 PM   #35
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmail_fan View Post
I prefer a Mac client so I tried a few and settled on AirMail, a ($10, App Store). It's straightforward to configure and has worked perfectly for me for over a year now..
I've tried Airmail a few times, but could never quite get used to it. I always got confused between folders and tags (I think it was called tags) and the support wasn't helpful enough to understand it properly.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote