EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Nov 2007, 06:04 AM   #1
MZRascoff
Essential Contributor

Spam global/personal Bayes filter

Hi all,
I am an enhanced user. I have reported a lot of email as spam - over 200 I believe - yet apparently FM is still using the "global" Bayes filter, rather than my personal one (see below from some spam I got today). Why is this? Does it have to be specially turned on? How do I do that?

Matthew

X-Spam-hits: BAYES_80 2, HS_INDEX_PARAM 0.001, HTML_MESSAGE 0.001, RCVD_IN_PBL 0.905,
RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL 0.5, URIBL_JP_SURBL 1.501, URIBL_RHS_DOB 1.083,
URIBL_SBL 1.499, BAYES_USED global
MZRascoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Nov 2007, 06:12 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Spam Bayes Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZRascoff View Post
...I have reported a lot of email as spam - over 200 I believe - yet apparently FM is still using the "global" Bayes filter ... Why is this? Does it have to be specially turned on? How do I do that?...
At the bottom of the Options>Spam/Virus Protection screen you will see a section titled Spam Bayes Status. This pane shows you how many spam and non-spam have been learned. You must teach the Bayes filter with at least 200 spam and 200 non-spam for the filter to be activated. After you reach that point, the switchover to User is automatic. Do not clear the database unless you have mis-learned a huge number of messages, since this will reset the per-user Bayes filter.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2007, 06:36 AM   #3
MZRascoff
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
At the bottom of the Options>Spam/Virus Protection screen you will see a section titled Spam Bayes Status. This pane shows you how many spam and non-spam have been learned. You must teach the Bayes filter with at least 200 spam and 200 non-spam for the filter to be activated. After you reach that point, the switchover to User is automatic. Do not clear the database unless you have mis-learned a huge number of messages, since this will reset the per-user Bayes filter.

Bill
Thanks! Very helpful.

Matthew
MZRascoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Do not clear the database unless you have mis-learned a huge number of messages, since this will reset the per-user Bayes filter.
Hey? That's new for me. Is that option recently announced. Probably I missed it.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote