EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Mar 2014, 12:31 AM   #31
danieldk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Dan - I'm Enhanced status at FM.

So if I get a domain at Gandi or Pobox (or Dreamhost which someone else recommended) I still need to pay separately for an email host?
Yes. Though, as I said, you can try Gandi's e-mail service, although it is limited.

If Outlook.com is also acceptable, you can also set that up with a domain, so that you get you@yourdomain rather than you@outlook.com:

http://betanews.com/2013/08/26/how-t...in-email-host/

It's completely free besides the cost of the domain.

Quote:
I can see the big benefit it not having to go through the hassle of changing my email address,
It is! Since 2005 I have used pobox.com, Gandi, and Google Apps, all with the same e-mail address.
danieldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2014, 12:34 AM   #32
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Dan - I'm Enhanced status at FM.

So if I get a domain at Gandi or Pobox (or Dreamhost which someone else recommended) I still need to pay separately for an email host? I can see the big benefit it not having to go through the hassle of changing my email address, but on the other hand it seems complicated and more expensive. Maybe I'll just try Runbox first,
You can get yourself a domain (at www.bookmyname it's 6.99 euro per year) and forward your mail to your Fastmail account.
You'll be able to change email accounts and/or domain registrars whenever you want/need without changing your email address.
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2014, 01:15 AM   #33
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Bookmyname seems to sell it for only 5 Euros a year. That beats $8.95 a month from Dreamhost. But do they deal with the U.S.? prices are only in Euros. I also looked at Google Apps, or tried to, but I don't see a price list.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2014, 01:18 AM   #34
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Bookmyname seems to sell it for only 5 Euros a year. That beats $8.95 a month from Dreamhost. But do they deal with the U.S.? prices are only in Euros. I also looked at Google Apps, or tried to, but I don't see a price list.
I'm sure there's no problem.
I live in Israel and pay with my credit card. Works flawlessly.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 01:34 AM   #35
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
I'm sure there's no problem.
I live in Israel and pay with my credit card. Works flawlessly.
So how do you do it - since this is all new to me - you pay a small annual fee to Bookmyname and then you somehow use that domain name via, I guess, since we're on the Fastmail forum, Fastmail? And you could do the same for free with, say, Outlook.com?
Old 23 Mar 2014, 01:37 AM   #36
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

If you purchase a domain name with Gandi, you get a (fairly basic) e-mail account included.

Even if you don't use that e-mail account, you can set up an e-mail account to forward anywhere - for example, you@yourdomain.com forwarded to you@fastmail.fm, you@gmail.com, etc.

In other words, you don't need to buy an e-mail account in order to make use of a domain.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2014, 01:42 AM   #37
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
So how do you do it - since this is all new to me - you pay a small annual fee to Bookmyname and then you somehow use that domain name via, I guess, since we're on the Fastmail forum, Fastmail? And you could do the same for free with, say, Outlook.com?
Yes, I have a .com domain at bookmyname (6.99 euro per year) and forward all incoming emails not only to Fastmail but also to another email account I have.
Of course I can forward my emails to free accounts (eg: gmail) too.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 01:47 AM   #38
werewolf
Essential Contributor

You fellers both say you can forward your emails anywhere, or at least to FM and GMail, but what about sending emails? How do you send an email using your own domain? Can you also do that through FM or Gmail, or Outlook or Yahoo, etc.?

Are there any cons to using emails this way, as opposed to using a straight Runbox or Fastmail account?
Old 23 Mar 2014, 01:48 AM   #39
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Also, thank all of you for your expert help on these things. You've been way more helpful than Fastmail Support!
Old 23 Mar 2014, 01:56 AM   #40
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
You fellers both say you can forward your emails anywhere, or at least to FM and GMail, but what about sending emails? How do you send an email using your own domain? Can you also do that through FM or Gmail, or Outlook or Yahoo, etc.?

Are there any cons to using emails this way, as opposed to using a straight Runbox or Fastmail account?
Fastmail, Runbox, Eumx and Gmail let you configure the "from" address so you can change the "from" address to, say, werewolf@yourdomain.com.
I don't know if this is possible too with Yahoo and Outlook.
The big advantage of using your domain or pobox service is ensuring one email address for life.
If you use Fastmail and want to change to, say, Runbox you have to send everyone notifications!!
During the past 14 years I have changed many times email accounts but my email address never changed!!
Old 23 Mar 2014, 03:34 AM   #41
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Can you clarify this? Say Bookmyname says that werewolf.org is available as a domain name (i didn't check and it's probably not), OK, but then what do I get to use as the first part? Will werewolf@werewolf.org work? 23456wsx@werewolf.org (just made up somthing weird), will that work? Can i change the first part every day? These questions are probably stupid but this is all new to me.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 03:44 AM   #42
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Can you clarify this? Say Bookmyname says that werewolf.org is available as a domain name (i didn't check and it's probably not), OK, but then what do I get to use as the first part? Will werewolf@werewolf.org work? 23456wsx@werewolf.org (just made up somthing weird), will that work? Can i change the first part every day? These questions are probably stupid but this is all new to me.
Your questions are certainly not stupid but very legitimate
I think asking before you decide is the right thing to do...
Anyway, once you buy the domain werewolf.org you can put before @werewolf.org anything you like! You can change the first part not only every day but every hour (or less) too!
Of course you must update accordingly your forwards too.
Old 23 Mar 2014, 08:19 AM   #43
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Using your Fastmail account with your own domain

All or your questions are appropriate for this forum. If you haven't cancelled your Fastmail Enhanced account it's pretty easy to use it for your own domain, and has more features for such operation than most other email providers. I have been doing this with my personal domain for 10 years now with Fastmail, and I'm still very happy with their service. Here is how this would work with a Fastmail account:
  • When you send an email (using an email client program on your PC/device or using webmail) from an address at your own domain, there are two From addresses which are used during the message transmission:
    • Envelope From: The sending server contacts the destination server and announces the From and To addresses before the destination starts accepting the message. These Envelope From and To addresses are not shown in the basic user email display, but are usually available if the user examines the full headers or raw message contents because they are inserted there by the destination server. The envelope is what the destination server uses to decide how to deliver the message.
    • Header From: The normal email headers contain the From, To, Subject, and Date/Time of the message. These are usually displayed when reading a message, but are not used by the destination server when deciding how to delivery the message.
    • Fastmail (and some but not all other email providers) allow you to change your From Envelope and Header addresses to anything you wish. So I can "spoof" any address (such as a HP or Gmail address) when sending from my Fastmail account. However, the destination email server may mark such a message as spam if it does not provide certain reputation features (such as SPF - more on this later).
  • To receive messages sent to your own domain, the sending email system must know how to reach the proper destination server. This is done via the DNS (Domain Name System) MX records.
    • Some reliable server must host (maintain) the DNS records for your domain. Fastmail will do this at no cost for up to 50 domains for an Enhanced or Premier account. This usually requires an additional fee (often bundled) from a domain registrar or domain reseller.
    • The DNS records for your domain specify the IP address(es) used for the destination email server(s) for your domain (MX records), as well as the IP address for websites used for your domain (A records). With a Fastmail Enhanced or Premier account you can host basic websites (with no active server scripting) at no additional cost, storing the website content on the 5 GB (Enhanced) or 30 GB (Premier) Fastmail file storage you have available.
    • In any case, you must purchase your own domain(s) and keep the registration current by paying a yearly fee (often billed over a several year interval). If you don't keep the registration active, it will stop working and others may be able to then purchase that domain.
  • Many email providers (including Gmail, Yahoo, and Fastmail) use various reputation indicators to indicate whether a message might be spam or legitimate. SPF (Sender Policy Framework), DKIM, CSV, and DMARC are some of these mechanisms. Fastmail can easily provide these features in your hosted domain DNS records (let me know if you need information on setting up DMARC), and sign messages appropriately with SPF and DKIM so that other email systems (such as Gmail and Yahoo) recognize that your domain messages are legitimate (and make it less likely that spammers can successfully spoof your domain in messages they generate). Not all email providers can do this well, and if you use a different DNS host this can be confusing to set up. With Fastmail it is reasonably automatic and easy.
So the bottom line is: If you have an Enhanced account at Fastmail, you can use your own domain to send and receive email with no additional charges from Fastmail. Since Fastmail will also host your domain DNS records, your only cost will be for registering your domain. You can read the received messages sent to your domain at your Fastmail account in the normal fashion (webmail or email client), or you can redirect them to one or more external email accounts, or you can do both. Email redirection (forwarding in some fashion) is always less reliable than direct delivery, but Fastmail offers SRS (Sender Rewriting System) to allow SPF reputation to be maintained when redirecting to external accounts (such as Gmail or Yahoo).

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2014, 11:07 AM   #44
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Thanks for the great responses, guys...but I think I I might be in over my head.

OK, I seem to have obtained a domain name at bookmyname (which looked like the best buy), and they didn't ask for my credit card, so I suppose it's a free trial, tho I didn't notice it saying so anyplace - and as I haven't cancelled my FM account I still have an enhanced FM.

I received this on my FM email, which I supplied to bookmyname:

You receive this e-mail because you just create an account on
http://www.bookmyname.com/

You will found hereafter all the informations required to be
able to access to our services.

Your ID : -----------------
Your Password : ----------------
Your Email : -----@fastmail.--

We suggest you to keep and archive this mail, to easyly access
to our service in case of password or ID forgot.

If you have any question DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MAIL, but feel
free to read our FAQs and contact us with link
http://www.bookmyname.com/contact.cgi.

So - duh - now what? How do I start using my brand new domain name instead of my fastmail name?
Old 23 Mar 2014, 12:25 PM   #45
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Exclamation Fastmail setup

My guess is that you parked or reserved a domain name. I can't believe that you would get a domain name registered without a fee up front.

You will need to log in and discover how to change the NS (nameserver) records for your domain to point to Fastmail. Look at this Fastmail help page, using the Full DNS instructions for the nameserver addresses.
Fastmail Own Domains - Setup and activating

Read the DNS TTL (time to live) times section so you understand that it may take a while (hours or even a day) to get control switched to Fastmail. Your domain reseller should tell you what the initial TTL value is for your domain.

You also need to go to the Fastmail Advanced>Virtual Domains screen and enter your new domain name in the Virtual Domains table, then click Add at the right. In the top Virtual Aliases section, enter * (asterisk character) in the first column and click Add at the right. Then click Save Changes.

If you have the wildcard (*) alias active for your domain, then after the TTL interval an email sent to any alias at your domain will appear in your Fastmail Inbox. So if your domain was mydomain.xx, then any email sent to me@mydomain.xx would be delivered to your Fastmail Inbox. Because of the TTL delays at various locations in the Internet, your new domain won't work for everyone at exactly the same time. It might take a few hours after you get initial indication that your domain is active until email sent by anyone is delivered to you. This all depends on the initial TTL set by your domain registrar/reseller.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 24 Mar 2014 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Corrected FM help URL
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote