EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 14 Jun 2007, 10:57 PM   #1
charless

IMAP downloading with Outlook

I am running Outlook 2003 and attempting to set it up for IMAP downloading. I used to do this a long time ago using Eudora but in the meantime I have just let messages collect on the server (now that I have 2GB storage) and have not bothered to download; but now it is
finally time to set something up. It seems to me this was a lot easier to do with Eudora, but I guess that software is now more or less extinct.

At the I have got the messages to download ok, but only from the folder shown as Inbox on my fastmail account. At the moment, I can't seem to get any of the other folders to display. I am following the instructions for downloading an IMAP folder list, but nothing else gets displayed. No matter what substring I enter in the folder name search box, no other folders are shown, other than Inbox.

I was thinking this might have to do with the fact that all of the other fastmail folders are mapped to another domain name; what I did then was to create a new Outlook account and enter the domain name address (or one of them) at which I am receiving mail, while leaving the username / password for login the same as the one I use for logging in to fastmail. This didn't work either; it retrieved, again, only the same Inbox folder on fastmail that I was already seeing, and none of the domain-name mapped ones.

Can anyone help with this ?

Thanks
Charles
charless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Jun 2007, 11:04 PM   #2
theog
= Permanently banned =

Might ask a mod to move this to the fastmail section of this forum... in addition, you might want to search fastmail and read the instructions on setting up outlook... I mean really, on their site, they include more than enough instructions... right in the FAQ... at the top, no doubt....
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 12:02 AM   #3
charless

Yes, I followed all of those

To the letter That was the first place I checked. I also followed all the instructions in the Outlook Help files. Still didn't work.

Thanks
Charles
Old 15 Jun 2007, 12:32 AM   #4
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by charless View Post
To the letter That was the first place I checked. I also followed all the instructions in the Outlook Help files. Still didn't work.

Thanks
Charles
Oh, sorry... well, you might want to ask a mod to move this to the fastmail forums.... see if they can help down there... I think the fastmail guys/gals have a support team that visit this site daily... you might want to also put in an official support request on the fastmail site.....
theog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 12:56 AM   #5
Sherry

[Mod:]

Charles, I have moved your thread to the "Fastmail.FM Help and Current Issues" forum.

Welcome to the EMD Forums
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2007, 01:25 AM   #6
Sherry

Hi Charles,

It sounds like you have setup the account as a POP3 account instead of an IMAP account? Is the email you are getting going into the "local" Inbox folder or into the FastMail Inbox folder? Perhaps you missed the dropdown to change the default from POP3 to IMAP. I have an old Outlook 2002 setup as IMAP (I don't actually use it) and for the Account "Type" it shows as IMAP/SMTP. If yours says POP3 you may need to delete the account and re-do it as an IMAP. (I can't change from POP3 to IMAP in Outlook Express but not sure if it can be changed in Outlook without re-doing it?)

If it does say it's an IMAP account you may need to make sure you have "Inbox" (without the quotes) typed into where it says "Root folder path:" With out that you should still be seeing your folder list but as "sub folders" of the Inbox.

Sherry
Old 15 Jun 2007, 07:57 AM   #7
charless

Hi Sherry,

It is set up as an IMAP account. Within Outlook, I see a top-level folder with the server name for fastmail (mail.messgingengine.com) and underneath that a single folder labelled Inbox which shows the contents (on the Fastmail server) of the Fastmail Inbox folder. I can download them by selecting all the messages and moving them to a local Outlook folder, and they then show up with a line through them on the Fastmail server side, at which point I can safely delete them off the server.

However, I can't see any other server folder other than the Inbox folder. I am unable to display a list of folders retrieved from the server. I used to be able to do this in Eudora but
Outlook apparently won't.

If there is no possibility of making it work, I will just have to download a copy of Eudora if it is still available and use that.

Thanks
Charles
Old 15 Jun 2007, 08:14 AM   #8
Sherry

You can definitely use Outlook for IMAP. Perhaps you need to subscribe to the folders. Try right/clicking on the FM account name. You should see a choice something like "IMAP Folders". That will open a screen where it may have a check mark that says to only show subscribed folders. You'll notice different things you can set. Also, there is a "Update Folder List" in the right/click menu that you may need to do if you make a new folder on the web you would then update your list in Outlook.

Hope that works for you. (if not, we'll think of something else )

Sherry
Old 15 Jun 2007, 09:34 AM   #9
charless

Tried all that. I agree there must be a way to do it but I don't see what it is.

Can't subscribe to the folders if I can't see them. I have tried unchecking the option to
display only subscribed folders, but that doesn't help either. There is a Query option under IMAP folders that is supposed to allow me to search for a folder name, but no matter what I enter or don't enter it comes up empty. "Update Folder List" also has no effect.

I am suspecting that maybe there is still an issue there with the fact that all of these folders are in fact mapped to a domain name. On the other hand, that applies only on the Fastmail side when I receive mail and theoretically should have no effect within Outlook. It had no effect in Eudora, I know that; I could display a list of all folders without taking any special action.

Any more ideas ? I don't have any. But thanks for your help !

Charles
Old 15 Jun 2007, 09:44 AM   #10
charless

Problem solved !

I figured it out.

It had to do with the Advanced Settings tab under E-mail accounts / IMAP, when I create or select that particular account. In the box for Root Folder Path, I had entered the name of a local Outlook folder I had created, on the theory that I did not want my downloaded e-mails going into the same Inbox as everything else in Outlook. Actually, this box must refer to a server-side setup. Apparently I need to enter the word Inbox in there regardless of what my folder setup is. As soon as I did, all of the folders suddenly appeared normally, the normal Inbox along with all the rest of them.

Wasn't so complicated I guess, but thanks for the help !

Charles
Old 15 Jun 2007, 03:19 PM   #11
Sherry

You're welcome. Glad it's working.

Sherry