EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 1 Sep 2004, 11:12 AM   #1
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Question Windows XP Question - Add/Remove Programs Issue

I installed Kensington Mouseworks software for the WebRacer touchpad (no longer available on the market). When the driver didn't work on XP, I went to Add/Remove programs to take it off.

It was remoeved, but, there's still a "kmouse" folder in the C: drive.

Today, I called Kensington Tech Support. They told me to download the lastest software of Mouseworks off their web site, version 6.03.

I downloaded and installed kmouse version 6.03. They neglected to tell me (I found out in the readme.txt file) that this software does not support webracer.

So, again, I went to add/remove programs to take it off my computer.

It's removed, however, there's still a "kmouse" folder with some files in it within the C: Drive.

Questions

1) Why is there still a kmouse folder there?

2) Is it possible to remove this somehow?

3) Is it safe to simply delete the folder? It warns me that this is a program file and some programs might not work if I delete the folder.

What's the best way to deal with this matter?
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Sep 2004, 01:46 PM   #2
LrdVader
The "e" in e-mail

My suggestion would be to rename the folder. If something breaks, restore it to its original name. If nothing's broken after a few days, then go ahead and delete it.

It sounds like someone's uninstaller didn't do a very good job. There might be some crud in the registry making Windows think it still needs that folder. I've seen it happen before, but never cared enough to dig around trying to figure out exactly what causes the message.
LrdVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2004, 02:37 PM   #3
injinuity
Cornerstone of the Community

Its nothing odd, some programs do leave a folder or two untouched and it could bd due to the fact that there might be shared files in those folders, if you are absolutely sure that no files from that folder are shared then go ahead and delete it.

Jinu Johnson
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Sep 2004, 07:33 PM   #4
xbot
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
xxos.us
Quote:
Originally posted by LrdVader
My suggestion would be to rename the folder. If something breaks, restore it to its original name. If nothing's broken after a few days, then go ahead and delete it.

It sounds like someone's uninstaller didn't do a very good job. There might be some crud in the registry making Windows think it still needs that folder. I've seen it happen before, but never cared enough to dig around trying to figure out exactly what causes the message.
I second that. Just boot in safe mode and put it back to it's original condition.

Also, what you might want to try is to run the installation with the compatibility wizard, located in start>all programs>accessories>Program Compatibility wizard. This should make it work fine (Worked for my digital camera )
xbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2004, 12:12 AM   #5
teacher
Master of the @

It's a feature of XP and nothing to worry about. You can delete the folder without problems.
teacher is offline   Reply With Quote