EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 10 Jul 2012, 09:53 AM   #1
ReuvenNY

Postbox Email Client Now Only $9.99, Is a Perfect Alternative to Thunderbird

This is a title to an article found here:
http://lifehacker.com/5924554/postbo...to-thunderbird

Excerpt:
Windows/Mac: Now that Thunderbird has all but shut down development, some of you may be looking for a new desktop email client. Postbox, one of our favorite email clients around, is now much cheaper at $10, and it's the perfect replacement.
What makes it such a great alternative? Well for one, it's actually based off Thunderbird, so Thunderbird users will feel right at home in Postbox's interface. However, it also has a number of extra features
Postbox Blog:
http://www.postbox-inc.com/blog/entr...derbird_users/
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Jul 2012, 10:31 AM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
is it an one-time payment, or by each year?
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2012, 01:55 PM   #3
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
is it an one-time payment, or by each year?
It's $9.95 for v3.0; major upgrades currently cost $4.95.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2012, 01:57 PM   #4
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
It's $9.95 for v3.0; major upgrades currently cost $4.95.
BTW.. I have purchased copies of both Postbox and TheBat! from RITLabs. Both have their advantages, but I personally tend to lean towards TheBat. Their recent update allows for external-HTML rendering; I always thought that the internet-HTML rendering was poor.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2012, 03:12 AM   #5
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I'm just trying out Postbox.

In Thunderbird, I have View set up as:

View/Sort by/Grouped By Sort

I can't see a way to replicate this type of view in Postbox.

Anyone know?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2012, 05:28 AM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Get 5 dollars off Postbox with a coupon:

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/postbox-inc.com
Old 11 Jul 2012, 07:33 AM   #7
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Thanks for starting this thread and thanks for the info on the $5.00 off.

I just purchased this program and when I first opened the program it wanted me to input a master password. I had never set a master password. So after searching their support site I was finally able to work around this problem by resetting the master password with code that they provided.

Here's another problem I'm having, after finally setting a master password, it asks that you input this password every time you start the program. If you simply click on cancel when you see this master password input box, it lets you access all the accounts. Not good.

Is anyone using a master password that you must input before you can actually access the accounts?

What good is a password if you can just click on cancel and access the program.

I'm looking for an email program that will not allow you to access anything without first inputting a password.

It was only a $4.95 purchase so I'm not too concerned.

Thanks
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2012, 07:39 AM   #8
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
This is a title to an article found here:
http://lifehacker.com/5924554/postbo...to-thunderbird

Excerpt:
Windows/Mac: Now that Thunderbird has all but shut down development, some of you may be looking for a new desktop email client.
Quote:
It used to be a bit more expensive at $20, but with Thunderbird calling it quits,
Well what little respect that I had for Lifehacker just went down the tubes. Mozilla has not all but shut down development or calling it quits.

Quote:
(Disclaimer: I’m an employee for Mozilla Corp, who works full-time on Thunderbird development. These opinions are my own.)

Today, through various channels, it was announced that continued innovation on Thunderbird is not a top priority for Mozilla.

Now before you all go running around with your heads chopped off saying things like, “Welp, that’s it for Thunderbird!”, or “We’d better fork that mutha!”, stop for a second, and read this.

Thunderbird is not dead.

Not by a long shot.
Quote:

Today I have the pleasure of welcoming Jb Piacentino, the managing Director of Thunderbird, following the recent Thunderbird announcement.

TN : Hi Jb, I read on the Web that Thunderbird is dead. Is it true or is the rumor of Thunderbird’s death greatly exaggerated? ;-)

Jb: No, Thunderbird is not dead. We have announced a change in the way we develop new features for Thunderbird. Nothing will change for individual and enterprise users: Mozilla will continue to support and maintain Thunderbird. To be more specific, Mozilla will no longer focus on developing innovations for Thunderbird but will keep it safe and stable. Mozilla will also provide all the infrastructure required for new, community-developed features to be integrated in upcoming Thunderbird releases.

TN : So there will be a Thunderbird 14?
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2012, 07:45 AM   #9
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvefan View Post

It was only a $4.95 purchase so I'm not too concerned.

Thanks
Whoa ! You mean it's an additional $5 off the $9.95 price !! I thought the $5 coupon was somehow circulating the internet as an offer in addition to, but separate from, the $9.95 price, and that the latter is simply the most recent offer floating out there. Nice, if it's really ultimately a $4.95 purchase. But if they then charge $4.95 for upgrades, perhaps there is one in the near future that will, from their perspective, quickly help them get their $5 (coupon discount) back.
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2012, 11:28 AM   #10
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Postbox is a very good application. I use it daily on my Mac as my preferred email client.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2012, 02:34 PM   #11
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Unfortunately for me, I also use Linux, so that puts Postbox off my shopping list. That said, I am still using PocoMail in a Window XP virtual machine. I may give Postbox a try, but I prefer to go with something that is cross platform across Windows, OS X and Linux. Problem is I just cannot find a suitable replacement for PocoMail. I am trying Claws Mail right now. Thunderbird did not pass muster.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2012, 03:02 PM   #12
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I just purchased this program and when I first opened the program it wanted me to input a master password.
It's just a long shot, but do you have Thunderbird on same computer - with password enabled?

Could be some glitch in the import process across to Postbox?

I don't get this problem with my installation - now on 2 computers.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 03:09 PM   #13
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Is anyone using a master password that you must input before you can actually access the accounts?
Just entered a master password on my Postbox.

Shut it down, then re-opened. It would not accept just ENTER or the wrong password, but opens with the correct password.

Suggest possibly is some glitch - re-install?
Old 11 Jul 2012, 09:53 PM   #14
curvefan
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
It's just a long shot, but do you have Thunderbird on same computer - with password enabled?

Could be some glitch in the import process across to Postbox?

I don't get this problem with my installation - now on 2 computers.
Thanks Fred,

At one time I did have Thunderbird on the same PC and if I recall correctly, I had similar issues with being able to access mail accounts simply by clicking on cancel. I have long since uninstalled Thunderbird.

Actually, just opening the Post Box program reveals all my various accounts. There is also that box in the center asking you to input your password. Clicking cancel allows me to see the emails in the various accounts. Not Good.

I also use Pop Peeper and it won't open anything until you put in the password and I was just interested to know if other email clients were like that.

Fred, when you first open Post Box, before entering your master password, can you see your email accounts showing on the left hand side?

I have tried shutting down and restarting but this hasn't helped.

I guess I should probably just stick with Pop Peeper.

Thanks
curvefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2012, 02:16 AM   #15
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Fred, when you first open Post Box, before entering your master password, can you see your email accounts showing on the left hand side?
Yes, it does show the accounts, but cannot do anything with them until the password is entered.

I would presume you have some remnants of the Thunderbird installation on your computer. Suggest a thorough clean out and then a clean install of Postbox.