EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 14 Jun 2011, 03:35 PM   #1
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Lightbulb Okok.ca

Okok.ca is a free MSN Hotmail based email service with a nice short Canadian extension. The account is standard MSN Hotmail size and features. However, when I successfully registered an account, I was taken to an older Hotmail login page stating a 2GB account with my existing Hotmail account info already cookied into the username spot. I simply reentered the okok.ca account info and logged in with no trouble. The link is here:

https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?...lic=1&id=66055
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Jun 2011, 06:15 PM   #2
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Email View Post
Okok.ca is a free MSN Hotmail based email service with a nice short Canadian extension. The account is standard MSN Hotmail size and features. However, when I successfully registered an account, I was taken to an older Hotmail login page stating a 2GB account with my existing Hotmail account info already cookied into the username spot. I simply reentered the okok.ca account info and logged in with no trouble. The link is here:

https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?...lic=1&id=66055
I had an account at msn.ca which is shorter even.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
And w.pl (powered by Gmail) and k.st (powered by Everyone.net) are even shorter

The one problem with these services is that the moment the domain owner doesn't renew his domain (or simply ceases to run the service) your email address is lost. I'd only rely on such accounts as secondary accounts but not as primary accounts because the domain is very likely owned by a person rather than by a service provider who intends to keep the service running for years to come.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:18 PM   #4
King Of Email

Msn.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
I had an account at msn.ca which is shorter even.
Yeah, but my real first name is extremely common and extremely hard to get, so I take what I can get.
King Of Email is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:02 AM   #5
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

There are a mess of these you can find by search.

These amuse me:

HotMeall.com
H1tMail.com
HotM4il.com
Hotm7il.com
h8tmail.com
h1tmail.tk

All seem a bit nefarious, don't you think?
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:27 AM   #6
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
And w.pl (powered by Gmail) and k.st (powered by Everyone.net) are even shorter

The one problem with these services is that the moment the domain owner doesn't renew his domain (or simply ceases to run the service) your email address is lost. I'd only rely on such accounts as secondary accounts but not as primary accounts because the domain is very likely owned by a person rather than by a service provider who intends to keep the service running for years to come.
Actually, as w.pl, along with z.pl, seems to be available only to customers of Netia Online, which appears to be related to a paid service, and as far as I can tell isn't open for free registration to the general public, it doesn't really appear to qualify as a free alternative. Unlike g.pl, another Polish service with as short a domain name, also "powered by Gmail", at which I've had a free account for about three years and which is still apparently open to free registration.

However, having no idea who is behind the g.pl service, and therefore how long it might continue, I agree that I wouldn't be inclined to make it my "primary" service. But then, I suppose that observation might ultimately apply to all email services, free or paid, at least all except the few largest ones. That is, there's no guarantee that any service will be around "forever", regardless of whether free or paid, or of the mere intentions of its provider.

Last edited by xmailer : 15 Jun 2011 at 01:00 AM.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2011, 01:52 AM   #7
Ennis

Here's a webmail service with a dotCA. It's fastmail.ca. It was once a very large service with a significant staff. Now it's reduced but still there. I've spoken with the operator. He's a solid guy. I asked him if he ever had problems with fastmail.fm. He said in the beginning but nothing came of it. I like the little guy. Fastmail.fm was once a little guy. Now it's Opera. No little guy.

www.fastmail.ca
Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2011, 05:39 AM   #8
communicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennis View Post
Here's a webmail service with a dotCA. It's fastmail.ca. It was once a very large service with a significant staff. Now it's reduced but still there. I've spoken with the operator. He's a solid guy. I asked him if he ever had problems with fastmail.fm. He said in the beginning but nothing came of it. I like the little guy. Fastmail.fm was once a little guy. Now it's Opera. No little guy.

www.fastmail.ca
Not free. At the top of the page when you go there is the following:

"Notice - New free accounts will not be available until further notice. This step was necessary because of a high level of abuse from public users."
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2011, 05:41 AM   #9
Ennis

I contacted the operator and he gave me a free account. Talk nice.
Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2011, 05:44 AM   #10
communicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmailer View Post
However, having no idea who is behind the g.pl service, and therefore how long it might continue, I agree that I wouldn't be inclined to make it my "primary" service. But then, I suppose that observation might ultimately apply to all email services, free or paid, at least all except the few largest ones. That is, there's no guarantee that any service will be around "forever", regardless of whether free or paid, or of the mere intentions of its provider.
Agora SA is the entity "behind" the g.pl service. It is one of Poland's largest media companies, I believe. Of course, that is no guarantee of their future intentions regarding the email service.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote