EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 20 Jan 2022, 06:02 AM   #1
Folio

End of Legacy Free Google Apps Accounts

It looks like Google is doing away with those legacy Google Apps/GSuite/Google Workspace accounts:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/2855120
Folio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 20 Jan 2022, 06:03 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

I suspect there will be a lot of confusion over this. Here's another article on it. https://9to5google.com/2022/01/19/g-...-free-edition/
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2022, 10:55 AM   #3
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
google will cancel the free gsuite accounts

https://9to5google.com/2022/01/19/g-...-free-edition/

I have two domains with the free gsuite accounts though I never used them.
I have another workspace account with regular paying for storage.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2022, 11:32 AM   #4
nerolniwroc

I just saw this and super bummed.

Question to everyone.

What are the best options to migrate to?

I'm considering between fastmail and pobox, but trying to see where I'll get the most bang for my buck.
nerolniwroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2022, 11:55 AM   #5
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerolniwroc View Post
I just saw this and super bummed.

Question to everyone.

What are the best options to migrate to?

I'm considering between fastmail and pobox, but trying to see where I'll get the most bang for my buck.
You can have pobox forwarded to your regular gmail account, with just 20 usd per year.
That's the best domain mail hosting alternative for gsuites.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2022, 04:41 PM   #6
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I made the mistake many years ago, of linking my Android phone to a personal domain with a Legacy account, now I assume that I'm going to lose all the phone apps that I purchased from the Google Play Store.

I'll have to make a list . . .
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2022, 05:11 PM   #7
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Merge of threads suggested

There is another earlier thread on this same subject, in the Google Gmail Forum, I have suggested to the mods that they merge the threads.

Note to Mods: I noticed that CyberSmurf made a rare visit to the forum a short time ago, but, at time of writing, has not addressed the merging of the threads. Perhaps another mod will?

Last edited by FredOnline : 20 Jan 2022 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Note to Mods:
Old 20 Jan 2022, 08:42 PM   #8
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I made the mistake many years ago, of linking my Android phone to a personal domain with a Legacy account, now I assume that I'm going to lose all the phone apps that I purchased from the Google Play Store.
Aren't the apps just tied to that particular email address? So if you keep that address working somewhere else the apps would still be yours? Here's a quote from here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/60217
Quote:
You may still retain access to additional Google services, such as YouTube and Google Photos.

Last edited by TenFour : 20 Jan 2022 at 09:05 PM.
Old 20 Jan 2022, 09:19 PM   #9
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Aren't the apps just tied to that particular email address? So if you keep that address working somewhere else the apps would still be yours?
I can't see how that would work.

On my Android 'phone, I have 2 accounts - the one that's linked to the Legacy account, and the other to my personal Gmail account.

When that Legacy account no longer exists, I would then have to rely on my Gmail account - and the purchases I made through the Legacy account would not appear there.

Luckily, I realized my error a few years later, and began to purchase apps via my Gmail account instead.

Unfortunately, I purchased Aqua Mail Pro via the Legacy account, and currently it costs GBP £19.49 to buy again - and I don't intend doing that!

I would also have to re-purchase CalDAV-Sync and TweetCaster Pro - but those prices are currently more reasonable.

Edit: Google Play Store

Terms of Service: https://play.google.com/intl/en_uk/a...rms/index.html

Quote:
Disabled Accounts. If Google disables access to your account in accordance with the Terms (for example if you materially or repeatedly violate the Terms), you may be prevented from accessing Google Play, your account details or any files or other Content that is stored with your account. See the Help Center for more information. If you are the family manager of a family on Google Play and Google disables access to your account, your family members may lose access to family features requiring a family group, such as a family payment method, family subscriptions, or Content shared by family members. If you are a family member of a family on Google Play and Google disables your account, your family members will lose access to Content you have shared with them.
I'm assuming here that, although this quote pertains to "disabled" accounts, it would also apply when Google trash the Legacy accounts.

I hope I'm proved wrong!

Last edited by FredOnline : 20 Jan 2022 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Edit: Google Play Store
Old 21 Jan 2022, 01:30 AM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @

Lots of discussion on Reddit about this, and several people say they have contacted Workspace support who says they will lose subscriptions purchased through the Play Store. A bigger problem for some is that it appears that any SingleSignOns done using that Google account will become void also. Of course I have no inside knowledge of any of this. Just summarizing some Redditors.
Old 22 Jan 2022, 09:00 AM   #11
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I can't see how that would work.

On my Android 'phone, I have 2 accounts - the one that's linked to the Legacy account, and the other to my personal Gmail account.

When that Legacy account no longer exists, I would then have to rely on my Gmail account - and the purchases I made through the Legacy account would not appear there.
I'm in the same boat.
Looks like I need to put together a plan to extract myself from the legacy account.
I wonder what other "gotchas" there are that I need to consider.

So far:
  • List purchases made & replace where needed.
  • Change sign-ups or logins made
  • Update backup email addresses where I've used the Legacy account for the backup email address
  • Shift Legacy Google Drive data
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2022, 09:14 AM   #12
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Looks like I need to put together a plan to extract myself from the legacy account.
I would suggest waiting at least until Google comes out with more information. Have you received an actual notice from Google? Many are reporting they have not received anything directly from Google.
Old 22 Jan 2022, 09:21 AM   #13
gardenweed

Quote:
I would suggest waiting at least until Google comes out with more information. Have you received an actual notice from Google? Many are reporting they have not received anything directly from Google.
I haven't received anything from Google yet - as far as I know.
Old 22 Jan 2022, 09:28 AM   #14
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
I haven't received anything from Google yet - as far as I know.
I would definitely wait before doing anything. They have to notify you and they have to provide more information on what is going to happen to existing users. Also, I wonder if things will be different in different countries due to different sets of laws. Some here in the USA are exploring a class-action lawsuit, according to this article: https://www.androidpolice.com/google...investigation/
Old 22 Jan 2022, 09:43 AM   #15
gardenweed

Quote:
I would definitely wait before doing anything. They have to notify you and they have to provide more information on what is going to happen to existing users. Also, I wonder if things will be different in different countries due to different sets of laws. Some here in the USA are exploring a class-action lawsuit, according to this article: https://www.androidpolice.com/google...investigation/

Good advice.
I'll start thinking about an action plan just on case.
Hopefully I won't have to implement it.