EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Jul 2015, 03:10 AM   #361
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Finally, it should be noted that in 10-11 years on these forums, I don't recall any critical post being deleted. All are recorded here in these forums.
From what I've read here on the forum today - the posts exist no longer - some might take issue with that.

I suppose it's difficult for the mods to decide what to remove and what to leave - some people just have an axe to grind and use the forum to let off steam.

Some people know how to complain . . . unfortunately, some don't.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2015, 05:19 AM   #362
ReuvenNY

Moderator's Comment

The first criteria on whether to remove a posting is adherence to the rules.
At times it's a gray area.
If the moderators feel that the poster is not adding any value to the discussion, particularly when many members complain - it's removed.
There is no perfect way to moderate, but I believe we are keeping the forum clean, functional and friendly.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2015, 07:58 AM   #363
jhollington
Essential Contributor

That's fair. While I haven't posted much here, I've lurked for years, and there's obviously a fine line between constructive feedback -- positive or negative -- and inane and unproductive ranting. I think some of the recent posts clearly fell into that latter category.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jul 2015, 02:33 AM   #364
jhollington
Essential Contributor

So to bring the thread back onto topic....

I've been on and off with FastMail for about nine years, alternating between Gmail and my own mail server, but I think I'm pretty much back for good at this point. When I signed up back in 2006, I remember telling many of my techie friends and colleagues that FastMail pretty much offers everything you would ever likely need to do with your own mail server without the aggravation of running one yourself

Mind you, one thing I discovered as I moved into the iOS world that FastMail couldn't do for me was push e-mail. While I wasn't about to move over to MobileMe (later iCloud) just to get their broken implementation of it, as Exchange ActiveSync solutions through Google Apps and other third-party apps came into vogue, I started experimenting with those. In the end, however, I still preferred a native IMAP solution, and figured I could use OS X Server (which supports iCloud-style push) and hack together my own solution to get that working (which I did).

Of course, that still leaves the hassle of running my own mail server, which while fun also had the disadvantage that I could never quite reverse-engineer my push code to work much beyond OS X Lion, which meant I was also running an ancient version of Dovecot. Tried to update it a few times manually, but could never quite make it happen successfully. Also, probably at least partially due to the version of Dovecot in use, IMAP-based search was never particularly great or reliable -- something FastMail had figured out how to address two years ago.

I'd come back to FastMail a few times over the years, and in fact had always maintained a paid "Enhanced" account through it all, but I always missed the instantaneous push support that my own mail server gave me. However, that was really the only thing missing, so with the news a couple of weeks ago that Fastmail was bringing native push for iOS devices, and my discovery that they had done it properly, that became my last hurdle to overcome, and I've finally come full circle and back to what I consider to be the most flexible and open-standards-based mail service I've ever had the privilege of using.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2016, 03:14 PM   #365
noface0711

I Love Fastmail as well, it is the best email service that I have ever encountered.
noface0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2016, 03:25 AM   #366
Bamb0
Master of the @

Welcome to EMD noface

I also like fastmail....... Im on IE6 and its probably the BEST email service available now!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Mar 2016, 07:24 AM   #367
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Welcome to EMD noface

I also like fastmail....... Im on IE6 and its probably the BEST email service available now!!
If you want to enjoy longer of this BEST email service, I'll advise you to update.

Last edited by Berenburger : 27 Mar 2016 at 07:33 PM. Reason: capital change
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2016, 09:40 AM   #368
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Im on IE6
The best of 2001 Internet technology....

We need to take up a collection for you for a new computer.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2016, 10:58 AM   #369
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Welcome to EMD noface

My wife totally loves IE7 and totally refuses to allow me to update her machine to IE version 10.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2017, 02:54 AM   #370
jchevali

What goes up must come down... $FM testimonials about to turn. Please allow me to 'call the top' here.
jchevali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2017, 03:07 AM   #371
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchevali View Post
What goes up must come down... $FM testimonials about to turn. Please allow me to 'call the top' here.
Fastmail's a great service. You planning on hacking the service or something? Because unless you have something diabolical planned, the service is still great.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 03:24 AM   #372
jchevali

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Fastmail's a great service. You planning on hacking the service or something? Because unless you have something diabolical planned, the service is still great.
And will it still be great for another ten years, or a hundred years, or a thousand years? Where do you place the limit? And will you still be here, all the time, to tell us it isn't there yet?

I call the top and that's what I do -- I'm an omniscient trader!
jchevali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2017, 03:26 AM   #373
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchevali View Post
And will it still be great for another ten years, or a hundred years, or a thousand years? Where do you place the limit? And will you still be here, all the time, to tell us it isn't there yet?

I call the top and that's what I do -- I'm an omniscient trader!
Okey dokey. You call top.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 10:49 AM   #374
RLBrooks

Thumbs up Excellent Not-Free eMail service

I divide email services into two groups; Free and Not-Free. For Free Gmail is my choice and I really like them but I have this fear/concern I might have some problem and get locked out of the account and *Free* means very limited (or none) Support.

So I also have a Not-Free service and my choice is Fastmail. I've had reason to contact their Support several times and it's been excellent. All (most) of my important email goes thru them.

I like Fastmail so much why isn't it my Only email service? Good question...

Answers: For starters if you really use and rely on email then I think you are foolish to only have one email service. If nothing else multiple services mean they can back each other up; they can be the recovery addresses for your other service(s).

The other reason I can't let go of Gmail is I MUCH prefer their use of Labels instead of Folders (like Fastmail uses). If you really try to categorize your emails then I often find an email that seems to fall into multiple categories. With Fastmail I can only choose a single folder but with Gmail I can assign multiple labels. This greatly improves my ability to search for it later and find it. I really hope Fastmail adds Labels some day.

I didn't mean for this to become a pitch for Gmail. It is good but so is Fastmail. You get what you pay for and with Fastmail the subscription fee also buys me peace of mind, I'm an extremely satisfied user and I recommend Fastmail anytime I can provided the user is willing to pay for service.

Cheers... Russ
RLBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2017, 11:31 AM   #375
RLBrooks

600 Thousand ?!

Sounds like SPAM to me.
RLBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote