EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 May 2018, 01:35 PM   #1
paul444

Gmail "confidential mode" and Fastmail

Google has introduced a so called confidential mode to their email which supposedly allows an expiration date to be set on the email as well as preventing forwarding, copying, printing and downloading as explained here. They do this by sending you a link to the message instead of the actual message.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...tial-mode.html

Well in my opinion, #@#$ that. I never used custom sieve code before, but this seems to do the job. I put it between sections 5 and 6 of the code shown when you click to edit the custom code.

if exists "X-Gm-Locker"
{reject "Google confidential mode emails are automatically deleted at this email address."; }
paul444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 May 2018, 01:41 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

FastMail allows you to automatically purge emails in a folder that are older than a set threshold. I t is a mystery to me how you would support the other restrictions and still allow standard email clients to be used. I have a suspicion that this may be an effort to lock Google's customers into only using Google's own products, and making any future migration to another service more difficult.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 06:05 AM   #3
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
FastMail allows you to automatically purge emails in a folder that are older than a set threshold.
Yes, but that is the receiver expiring out the message. Gmail's idea is to allow the sender to expire the message. They do that by sending only a link to the message, which is kept on their servers, and then the link doesn't work any more after the expiry period is over. I've tried it, and it works OK, but certainly does not excite me. I want my email store to provide a memory and an audit trail of what I have been sent (and what I have sent). One can work around the expiry anyway by capturing the results of the link, as long as you do it before it expires.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 10:15 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Maybe we all should set an expiration date on our emails--would keep everyone's Inboxes clean! Just kidding. Like some others, I am not certain this "feature" is a good idea. I'm thinking that spammers and phishers will love it because evidence of their crimes will disappear eventually. I have been personally threatened by someone, and I can imagine folks like that will love this feature.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 12:41 AM   #5
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane
Yes, but that is the receiver expiring out the message. Gmail's idea is to allow the sender to expire the message. They do that by sending only a link to the message, which is kept on their servers, and then the link doesn't work any more after the expiry period is over..
Yes I was on an email server like that years ago...... But you could still press PRINT SCREEN and then send the picture to someone......
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote