EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Sep 2007, 09:58 AM   #16
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorvemaker View Post
Here's a little unfortunate bug. I clicked the "Trash" label next to a folder set to Has Empty: Trash - move to Trash". The screen that appeared said:
I found the problem, will roll out a patch shortly.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2007, 10:19 AM   #17
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfan View Post
Once that folder was deleted I selected 3 others on the page being viewed and then went to the next screen of folders to see if anymore were there I wanted to delete.
There were not.
So I clicked on 'Delete'.
I got a message in a pop-up window ~ 'No folders could be deleted as none selected'.
Are you sure that was the message you got? You should have got a popup saying:

Are you sure you want to PERMANENTLY deleted the selected folders and all messages?

After clicking "OK" that, you should have got another popup saying:

There are folders selected that are not visible on the current page. This delete action will also delete those folders. Are you absolutely sure you want to do this?

Are you sure you read the messages in the popups you saw correctly?

Rob
Old 27 Sep 2007, 05:17 PM   #18
feklee

Talking

Auto-purge: This looks f***ing awesome - thanks for finally implementing this much needed functionality. :-)
feklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2007, 12:17 AM   #19
akorvemaker
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmueller View Post
I found the problem, will roll out a patch shortly.

Rob
Thanks Rob. It's working perfectly now, as far as I can tell. Thanks for all the great work. I love the new features.

andy
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2007, 01:29 AM   #20
fmfan
Master of the @

Quote:
Are you sure that was the message you got? You should have got a popup saying:

Are you sure you want to PERMANENTLY deleted the selected folders and all messages?

After clicking "OK" that, you should have got another popup saying:

There are folders selected that are not visible on the current page.
This delete action will also delete those folders.
Are you absolutely sure you want to do this?

Are you sure you read the messages in the popups you saw correctly?

Rob
I apologize Rob. I just now created folders to delete in the manner yesterday. I should have repeated to test yesterday before posting.

I just now got as you posted here. There *is* the warning message *first*. With the popup sequence
Code:
Are you sure you want to PERMANENTLY delete the selected folders and all contained messages? OK | Cancel 

OK 

There are folders selected that are not visible on the current page. 
The delete action will also delete those folders. 
Are you absolutely sure you want to do this? OK | Cancel 

OK
--- Bill
fmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2007, 01:06 AM   #21
ewal
Master of the @

Inconsistent retention of hidden status

Has anyone else noticed this?

On unhiding and then hiding my folders the unhidden state is retained when the hidden state was expected.

Specifically:

I unhide my folders to, say, have a look at a particular email in a hidden folder. I then, after doing whatever on that email, hide all folders and go back to an unhidden folder (e.g. Inbox). I then open an email there and then press Mailbox. The folders then are in an unhidden status, even though I had pressed hide as a last step.

The key here is that I navigated to a normally hidden folder and then back to a normally unhidden folder. This inconsistency does not occur if I stay in an unhidden folder and simply toggle the unhide/hide icon.

This inconsistency only occurs within a particular session, the default hidden view is regenerated in a new session.

Not a biggie, just an observation. I suspect it has something to do with cookie control or something.

Ed
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2007, 07:01 AM   #22
Prognathous
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchadwick View Post
As for the edit screen itself, what's the logic in defaulting to view 20 folder? Why not list all of user's folders (or at least the first 100) by default and save us from having to click "100" or whatever every single time to see them?
I was wondering the same thing...

Prog.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2007, 07:24 AM   #23
fmfan
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchadwick View Post

As for the edit screen itself, what's the logic in defaulting to view 20 folder? Why not list all of user's folders (or at least the first 100) by default and save us from having to click "100" or whatever every single time to see them?
OR: What about a user selectable (per account) folder default for the number of items per folder view?

Again, as far as changing the whatever default or set viewed items per folder I really preferred the drop-down, pop-up interface with preset variety of items per view selectable there for changing each folder setting for this.

Maybe it has been explained why that was eliminated, changed.

--- Bill
fmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2007, 07:34 AM   #24
eggman
Essential Contributor

Quote:
OR: What about a user selectable (per account) folder default for the number of items per folder view?
Or even allow users to store the default number of items for every list on every page. I would be happy with 100 per page everywhere...
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2007, 07:37 AM   #25
andrew82net

Question How does Spam training work?

First, new features look good.

I'm not clear on how the SPAM training works. If I set my Junk Mail folder as a SPAM learning folder, would that have any negative consequence? Would the system distinguish in any way between SPAM that was automatically added to the folder per my SPAM rules and SPAM added by me manually? Does "new messages" mean "unread messages" or messages detected in the folder since it was last scanned by the spam learning system?

Would there be any reason to get in the habit of looking through my existing Junk Mail folder and moving correctly identified SPAM to a SPAM leaning folder?

What about a way to tell the SPAM learning system to scan particular folders and learn all the messages (read or unread) in a particular folder. For example, I have a lot of folders that contain tons of non-spam messages. That would seem like an efficient way to learn what's not spam--simply scan all my non-spam e-mails collected over the past five years.

--Andrew
andrew82net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2007, 12:21 PM   #26
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Spam autolearning is now available

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew82net View Post
What about a way to tell the SPAM learning system to scan particular folders and learn all the messages (read or unread) in a particular folder. For example, I have a lot of folders that contain tons of non-spam messages. That would seem like an efficient way to learn what's not spam--simply scan all my non-spam e-mails collected over the past five years.
Andrew, there is another thread discussing the new per-user Bayes feature, so I won't go into details in this thread. Yes, you can set up spam and non-spam learning folders in the new Folders screen. That's the whole idea -- mail in your Junk Mail folder (and other folders you declare as spam-containing folders) gets autolearned as spam once a day, and mail in the folders you declare as non-spam-containing folders gets autolearned as ham (not spam) once a day. Check out the Advanced Options on the Folder screen.

You can also use the Action tool to mark any set of messages as spam or ham.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2007, 09:45 PM   #27
JRobert
Master of the @

Echoing the kudos - this is great, Rob!

How about a new sub-folder or the Advanced attributes edit form inheriting the parent folder's attributes as initial defaults? It's a fairly sensible choice, in that 1) the user has already specified attributes s/he likes, and 2) sub-folders are often going to be related in purpose to the parent.

For instance, I just created a folder for an upcoming trip and set up its attributes the way I wanted them, especially the default personality and folder for sent mail. Then I created a sub-folder for each city. It would have been really handy to have those sub-folders pick up the settings from the Trip folder. Most importantly, I'd be more confident I'd set my travel personality for each of them and wasn't about to expose my private e-mail address.

-jeff-
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2007, 06:19 PM   #28
rabarberski
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorvemaker View Post
Select the check box beside the folder, then click the Delete button on the top right of the "Edit existing folders" section (just above the list of folders).
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfan View Post
Ohhh --- *way* over there to the right above the 'Custom Folder Properties'.
Had the same experience as you, Bill: i had to search for the delete button.
Indeed, there is really no reason I can think of (*) for the Delete button to be hidden away all the way to the right. Why not put it between "Edit" and "Move", which is where people will first look for it (i think)?

*well, there is (i went searching for it): I've just discovered that the basic message screen has a delete button to the right as well. But I think it is more important that people find the delete button, than being consistent with this screen...
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2007, 08:14 PM   #29
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
ewal: I can't reproduce the problem you're seeing. Can you email me at robm@fastmail.fm with your account name and the EXACT steps you go through to produce the problem and I'll try it out. Thanks

jrobert: Inheriting is a bit tricky. Basically the create folder section has all the properties you can set there, even if they're not visible by default. So you have two options.
1) Use some javascript so when you choose the folder you want to create the new folder as a sub-folder of, it changes the properties in real time in that area
2) When the advanced properties section is hidden, that information gets submitted back, and you inherit the properties of the parent by default
Both are a bit icky

rabarberski: I specifically moved it to avoid any chance of an accident. Maybe it's a bit lonely over there on the right...

Rob
Old 1 Oct 2007, 09:01 PM   #30
zhak
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabarberski View Post
Had the same experience as you, Bill: i had to search for the delete button. Indeed, there is really no reason I can think of (*) for the Delete button to be hidden away all the way to the right. Why not put it between "Edit" and "Move", which is where people will first look for it (i think)?
Quote:
rabarberski: I specifically moved it to avoid any chance of an accident. Maybe it's a bit lonely over there on the right...
Well, the initial location of 'delete' was by 'edit' and 'move', and I thought that was a little dangerous. At the top left column of the 'edit existing folders' table, is a checkbox to select ALL FOLDERS. Right above that was the DELETE BUTTON.

My comment from the first thread in the series, 'Need help evolving Folders screen':

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhak View Post
I'd be concerned for some people having the checkbox to select all folders next to 'delete'. Even with a confirmation popup, that could lead to disaster for someone in a hurry. There are various levels of protection, including:

- must empty a folder before it can be deleted
- able to only delete one folder at a time
- able to delete multiple folders but only if they are empty
- able to delete your entire mailstore with one click

I'm not sure of what would be best, but the last one scares me a bit.
Maybe having to look for the delete button in this context is a good thing.

-Jim
zhak is offline   Reply With Quote