EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 2 Aug 2004, 11:31 PM   #1
sparky32

Aliases vs Disposable Addresses

I made the decision to go ahead and hand the money over and subscribe to Runbox. However, at the subscribe page, I was given the option to purchase the larger package, which included "2 aliases". This got me thinking as to what an alias was and how it was intended to be used versus a "disposable address" as described under the News section at Runbox. It seems that the disposable addresses meet many of the same properties.

Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks
sparky32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Aug 2004, 12:51 AM   #2
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Right, disposable addresses are a very new feature, and not wll documented yet! Basically, they are intended for temporary use (as the name implies), and is primarily an anti-spam feature. You can add an + sign followed by any suffix you like, to your username, like this: username+abcd@runbox.com, and then use the Suffix option in the filter page to delete mail sent to that address, when you no longer want it.

Aliases are intended for more (semi)permanent use, for instance many people like to have one address with their name in it, and one more informal one. Aliases can of course be changed or deleted as well though, but only via us (support).

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Aug 2004, 01:51 AM   #3
sparky32

Thanks Liz,

Could you not use a "disposable address" for a mailing list subscription and just not dispose of the address? Or would this be problematic for Runbox by having a bunch more addresses running around out there for a long period of time?
sparky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Aug 2004, 02:07 AM   #4
trond
Essential Contributor

Sure you can.

Actually, "disposable addresses" is a very poor name, and I shouldn't have called it that to begin with.

Anyway, at the filter page, you can catch messages sent to a sub-address like this, with the option "address suffix".

So, if you've subscribed with the address user+listnameATrunbox.com, make a filter where address suffix contains +listname, and put it the appropriate folder. What makes it "disposable" is that you can set "delete" as the action for this rule.
trond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Aug 2004, 06:09 AM   #5
lrb91849

Liz,

I currently have 2 Alias Accounts "Attached" to my Main Account.

Can I also use "Disposable" accounts ?

They would be great to use when Traveling, and you are open to having your Email Address harvested, when emailing messages back home.

Thanks,
Lou B
lrb91849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Aug 2004, 08:16 AM   #6
Liz
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Hi Lou,

Absolutely, there is no either-or, everyone can use "disposable" addresses, whether they have aliases or not.

Liz
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote